The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Blackened Finish for Steel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I have some steel escape equipment that has a real nice "blackened steel" finish, including some custom stuff that is so new that some of the excess even rubs off. Can someone please tell me what this finish is, and where I can get it, so that I can make some new stuff from Home Depot match the other equioment? Thanks so much!

Yours,

Paul
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It does not sound like powder coat since it rubs off. Maybe it is the hammerlike coating that is sold in a spray can.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Gun bluing, available at gun shops, seems to be a popular product. I've never used it, but I've seen it mentioned here several times.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Powder Coat, when properly applied and baked will not rub off. It may peel off in sheets if the surface is not properly prepared. The finish you describe may be Black Oxide, a corrosion inhibiting finish that will not change the parts dimensions. Plating and Anodizing operations will change part dimensions depending on the tolerance range you are working with. As mentioned above Gun Bluing is another alternative. Some Blues need to be applied hot, others can be applied cold. There is another finish sometimes used on muzzle loaders called browning which imparts a brown corrosion resistant finish.
Bill
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
I think George is right -- bluing is the likely culprit, though something of a misnomer (traditionally blue, the available colours are more varied today; browning doesn't have quite the same ring to it, though).

Doc, hie thee to a gun shop, taking said implements and new provisions from Home Depot with you. The friendly proprietor (anyone sitting on that much firepower can afford to be friendly...) will likely have some nostrum or potion handy to effect the shade you seek.

Caution: Better not to mess with zinc plated steel, if the plating must be removed. Zinc poisoning is cumulative and fatal.

Leland
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Thanks everyone! No shortage of gun shops around these parts, either. It's funny thinking about me buying a bottle of elixir from someone else, though, isn't it?

Just to clarify, when I say that it rubs off, a kind of oily powder rubs off, still leaving the implements nicely blackened.

Yours,

Paul
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
You can heat steel (red hot) and dip it in a heavy motor oil or linseed oil.

Kregg
POOF!
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
663 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
There are also artificial patina products available at arts and craft shops to add color to clean metal. If it is plated or lacquered it may not work.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Watchmaker
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Watchmaker
Dr. Wilson,

There is a product called Antiquing (hope I spelled that right). It's kind of like India Ink. You rub it on metal and when it's dried leaves a nice black finish. The only problem is it rubs off esaily on polished surfaces. Jewelery supply houses all carry it.

There are some nice epoxy paints that leave a great, long lasting finish.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Ian McColl made me a nice Iron Head Cage with a black finish. He just used 'stove black' paint.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
Sounds like "Black Oxide" to me.
Very EZ to do at home, with the right stuff.
W.W.Granger or McMaster Carr both have kits. If the Item is plated you may want to have it sandblasted first, in fact that's a good idea for all parts as the black is better after blasting.

In industry, black oxide is a bad gun blue job. Both are done with salts and oils only the gun parts are highly polished first and the salts and oils kept cleaner and changed more often.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Blackened Finish for Steel (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL