The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Chris Angel card through bus window (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
I'm stumped. I know the method behing most card through windows, but on a moving bus, with a signed card?? David Copperfield also did the same effect on a moving train with a signed card. Anyone know of a resource for this?
thx
Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
257 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
You could easily incorporate Sean Bogunia's card through window gimmick on a moving vehicle but I think as far as the " signed " portion goes, he's getting a lot of extra help from his crew or using a stooge.
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
It's the same card he uses, but notice how the camera seems to cut. It's not constantly filming. Just something I noticed, including his garbage teleportation.

Evan
Muggers
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Muggers
Quote:
On 2005-08-26 14:06, EvanMagic wrote:
It's the same card he uses, but notice how the camera seems to cut. It's not constantly filming.

What? You're not impling some kind of shenanegins going on are you? Smile
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Not at all Smile . But when your watching his teleportation, as he is covered with the garbage can and the hands go on top, watch how the camera sleightly but noticeably moves. His talking seems constant on the radio from our tv perspective, but that's from the magic of editing.

Evan
dragonchaos91
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of dragonchaos91
I think he has a helping hand with his crew. If you watch carefully you'll notice his methods, up until the point it appears on the other side of the window.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Was the card signed? and even if it was think of how many stooges he used for the levitations.....

How does this qualify as magic at a moments notice? That had to take hours at least to do
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
How does that qualify as magic, at all? Cutting cameras to mask your method is not magic. It gives a bad name to the art. From interviews I've read with Chriss Angel in the past, he seems to be fairly well educated on the art of magic, so why settle for this blasphemy? Is the money behind reality TV really worth it if it means discrediting a name you worked to build. Not for me!
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
It seems a little too easy to blame camera edits for a failure to understand how exactly Chris did it. The more I think about the effect the more I think I know how it could be done...without camera edits.
lane99
View Profile
Elite user
421 Posts

Profile of lane99
I'll just add: if you watch closely, you'll see they seem to have digitally blurred the front windshield of the bus while the lady and Crangel were choosing the card.

Whether it means there was already a card there that the digital blurring was hiding, or whether they used that as a red herring to put people off the track, or something else entirely, I dough no.

Mtm. So what's your idea, raphlo2?
Pachin
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Pachin
Nell and Raphlo2. I suggest you do some research in the Café about Chris Angel. You are going to find about how many top of the line magicians are not very happy with this guy using a lot of editing, fake spectators and other non magical methods for his show. It si pretty sad.

Just the fact that he takes his shirt off to show his muscles on every show, step on Houdin's monument with no respect and stating that he can do stuff that Houdini cannot and making his mom cry at the shows tells you a lot abouth his character, goal and professionalism.

Instead of wasting time trying to figure how he is "faking" magic focus on some other more realistic non camera magical effects. For example have you heard about David Forrest from the UK Full 52 project ?. The effect is call Card Through Window. Try it, Is very strong. Check his website at http://www.full52.com/

Joaquin
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
What's with all these haters? Magic is a craft based on effects and its reactions--no matter how they are accomplished. Chris Angel has managed to do just thst and is more successful at it than anyone here on the Café. People, you really need to put an end to all this jealousy and just be grateful that someone out there is bringing the art to a mainstream audiences. Without people like Chris and David Blaine (who also gets bombarded with negativity on these boards) magic would remain a joke form of entertainment reserved for kids parties and restaurants. And may I add that althouhg he can at times be a little cheesy he brings an edge to the craft. Thank you Chris for actually breaking the stereotype of magicians being dorks (ie the movie industry having the main character in The 40 Year Old Virgin be into magic) and showing the rest of the world that magic can be something cool and exciting...not just "hey, look what I found behind your ear." Smile
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
It's not about hating. As I've said, he seems educated, and I'm sure I'd find him charming if I were to meet him. I was not speaking directly about this card thru window effect either. Just editing in general.

Regardless, I have no respect for "camera tricks" in magic. Editing film to hide methods is unacceptable to me and to many others. Now, the stuff he's accomplishing without the "camera tricks", I can appreciate. That goes for David Blaine as well. Unfortunately, all it takes is one bad seed to leave a sour taste in my mouth. I have issues with the film industry as well, but this is not the place for that. I'm relatively easy-going. I really wanted to like this show. Some effects have been unique and impressive. Others have been blatently created with the use of "camera tricks". It's very simple really. This is my opinion-and that's my perogative. I'm not telling anyone else what to believe, nor is that my intent. I just like to further discussion.
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Lmao, raphlo2.
there has been literally gazillions of forum topics (not only Magic Café ones) devoted into this discussion.
The bottom line is, if you think magic is some silly kids event thing without Camera Cutting, you are thinking way off to the center.
If you've actually seen some real magic being done, with real spectator and real methods instead of some cheap camera tricks, you'd know that Criss and David are doing isn't needed.
By the way, magic is not being treated as some kids-show-thing, even by the people who don't know david or criss. I don't know where you live, but I don't think, and havent thought for one instance that those two individuals brought mucch more respect to the magic community. All we've got is 20 million people trying to copy them.
Also, its not about jealousy. its about keeping magic for what it is, and not turning it into complete stooge - cut- this-portion-out thing.
I really don't like their performing style to start with anywyas,
"watch.... watch......" ==+
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
[quote]On 2005-08-31 00:00, mc_magi wrote:

The bottom line is, if you think magic is some silly kids event thing without Camera Cutting, you are thinking way off to the center.
If you've actually seen some real magic being done, with real spectator and real methods instead of some cheap camera tricks, you'd know that Criss and David are doing isn't needed.
/quote]
Is that really what I said? No. I said that I've witnessed this as being the concensus amongst the general population. But whatever. I think that what many of you are forgetting is the level of skill that Criss has for perfoming "real magic." I'd love to see any of you on this thread go one on one with either Blaine or Criss in front of a live audience and see who gets the most applause. That's a bet that I'd be willing to take.
Pachin
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Pachin
Raphlo2 it all depends on what you consider "level of skills". Not sure what are your standards. It all depends on which other magicians have you seen perfoming alive besides Criss A.

You should come to Texas and we will take that bet. We do not push fake palm trees because we do not have them. But we do have other pretty good effects that are stronger and very magical. We do not use cameras at all.

Joaquin
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Quote:
On 2005-08-30 22:48, raphlo2 wrote:
Magic is a craft based on effects and its reactions--no matter how they are accomplished.

No, it is about entertaining, reaching out to people, giving to the spectators!

Quote:
On 2005-08-30 22:48, raphlo2 wrote:
Chris Angel has managed to do just thst and is more successful at it than anyone here on the Café.

What about Curtis Kam, Paul Green, Richard Osterlind ect. to mention just a FEW of the great pro. magicians here at the Café alone not to mention the many, many other pro. magicians that are not members here (e.g. Jeff McBride, Lance Burton ect.). They too are magicians and very, very good ones, and I think you are forgetting about them and their magic and their contribution to magic, our art.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Hey lets not get off topic. The trick did entertain HIS audience. Not me spacificaly, but a certian segment of the population really liked it. He has to at least get credit for that no matter what his shortcommings may or may not be.

That being said it truley amazes me that anyone can truley be STUMPED by almost anything he does. It almost invariably involves camera manipulations plain and simple. He entertains someone because he is on TV so he gets my respect for that. I am not the least bit entertained by him, but his checks seem to clear without that little problem so as I said he must be doing something right.

I may not agree with his methods or be entertained by him personally, but somebody is. Good for him, better yet good for magic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Well, good for his career, but not necessarily good for magic. It seems to let laypeople who are just getting interested in magic believe that we all have lower standsrds and poor ethics involved with our careers. As I've said, the man has talent, he is educated about the art of magic. (Clearly, this is true if we look at the guests he's had on his show. Lance Burton, for example. These people wouldn't come if they didn't respect him.) I can't understand why he won't use THAT in his show. Reality TV with magic just doesn't work, because the smarter of two people will know it's all bogus scripted crap to begin with.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
You also have to think though. A&E is putting the show on basically they are doing the editing most likely.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Chris Angel card through bus window (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL