The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Chris Angel card through bus window (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Well, really, some people think Blaine or Criss has the best skills in the world,
there are tons out there, on the forum and off the forum who can squish them flat. Im not saying they are uneducated (magically) people, they ARE (as Nell says too) educated in magic. Now the thing I don't like about Camera cutting segement, is that TV is a media. It can be used to deliver the magic, but it shouldnt be used to create magic. I mean, then why not use special effects and fly around everywhere?,
To me, using camera cutting and putting it up as real magic - as they do - is a con, not a magic.
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Well, as everyone here knows by now. Magic isn't real. And in my book, as long as your actions are perceived as being real to a layman, mission accomplished; no matter what the method used. Magic is entertainment and if your audience watches the show/act and leaves entertained then your work is done. You should all stop your jealousy and aspire to be as successful as both of today's most prominent magicians.
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Lmao, nvm I wont even waste my time on this thread with someone who thinks its all for jealousy, hahahahahaha.
tell that to Lennart Green one day, will ya?
or how bout you PM banachek about it? Mr Marini? Mr Bish?
nvm, I'm finished on this thread.
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Oh no, please say it isn't so.

Posted: Sep 2, 2005 11:52am
"Or how bout you PM banachek about it?" Microphone Master

By the way, Banachek's on the show, genius, as a consultant.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I wish it didn't cause people to get mad at each other.

2 simple facts about the show. first he does entertain his audience. Not me but his audience is entertained.
second he impresses someone at the network because he is still on. These are facts and they are not in dispute.

Another fact, and I admit a LOT less relevant is that I would rather have my knuckles smashed flat with a sledge hammer than to watch him, or even bear to listen to him speak.

I do tend to agree with Nell partly. The part I disagree with is magic is out there when he is on TV. This is a good thing to me on any level. Awareness is good. But as far as reality TV and magic I agree with ya completly!

Now all be nicer to each other. Or what the heck argue it is more fun anyway to read!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
It was impromptu in that it was not a planned trick, not that it was an impromptu trick. Done as usual some manipulation of the cards, an unknown assistant and a good deal of misdirection on Mr. Angels part. It fooled the passengers badly.

Judicious editing was for the benefit of the viewing audience at home - and for us.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Frank. I think Chris would NOT risk an impromptu performance for a TV show. He has that much show biz savy at least. I can't believe it was not a planned trick as you claim. It makes no sense that he would use so many stooges in other things, but in this one card trick it is just an impromptu idea that occurs to him. Why would he even be on the bus in the first place? which was my main question. The fact that he was even on the bus means that it was a planned effect.

I believe it fooled SOME of the passengers badly, not all.

Mind you I am not in this post offering a position one way or the other weather it is right or wrong good or bad, just what makes sense.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicarisimon
View Profile
Regular user
Sherman Oaks
116 Posts

Profile of magicarisimon
If he screws up, then whats the big deal? They just don't show it on TV. It's as simple as that.
Always in Magic,
Ari Simon
Editor of THE THAUMATURGE
www.thaumaturgenews.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Point is he would never chance it. He is quite showbiz savy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Show biz savy or not, Dan in fact he's not chancing anything because everything is on film. If it didn't go well we would never have seen it. I could be wrong but I believe the story that he and his crew did have to take the bus due to a breakdown of the motor home. This is disaster when you are on a tight filming sxchedule to have so many of your crew idle. I believe they saw this as an opportunity to do something that if it could be pulled off would make the day productive and possibly give them something they could put into the show.

Other than having one of his crew place the card while he and the rest distracted the passengers there is not a lot of prep to the trick. Was the bus continuously moving? well that is the way it was edited for us to believe - but to quote a popular Twin Cities radio personality - "Uh, we don't KNOW that!"

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Frank we are making the same point actually. That was what I meant by savy, it was no chance at all.

You are directing the posts at me as if we are in some disagreement, I am confused. Maybe I am not making it clear so here goes.

He is WAY to smart to take any chances about anything. Not saftey or even sucess of tricks. Your right if it didn't work regardless of the circumstances of the setup, we would indeed never see it.

That all being said I do not like the show. I respect him, but it does not fit my taste.

I truley do not believe for a second the reason for being on the bus. It was lit WAY to well and everything that is needed to do the remotes just happened to fit. It makes no sense logistically. The lights, batteries for everything necessary to be powered, all just HAPPENED to fit right? then they managed to move all that crap out of the way to do this trick? Come on it makes no logical sense.

They happened to get all the angles right, the shadows and lighting, just spur of the moment with what they happened to bring with them? Plus working out the logistics of the trick so nobody knew and did it all completly improv? Just the placement of the card on the window was an exacting process, let alone the lighting for outside. My point being it was anything BUT magic at a moments notice.

That being said, he did pull it off so hats off to him
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
You may be right as it is obvious that Cris is not above saying or doing anything to set up an effect. I don't like the show either and don't really count it as a real magic show, but it is I believe the wave of the future for magic on television.

I did take the story about being on the bus at face value and felt that the trick was then set up so as not to waste a days shooting. After all the crew and equipment were supposedly there - it is being shot as a reality type concept. But the whole thing could be a red herring, and I fell for part of the con.

I wish I could say how I believe it was hatched "on the run" and executed but we are not to discuss methods or secrets here. Regardless of the set up I agree it is not an impromptu trick.

Frank Tougas
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Frank, lets hope this is not the wave of the future. I MISS the days of the audience in the studio and just doing some cool effects. I really do.

Man the old Doug Henning shows were great. The Copperfield specials. Don Alans magic ranch. These shows had lots of set up stuff, shills or stooges sure but used less obviously. Maybe Don didn't use stooges but the first 2 sure did.

Anyway I guess things are changing and it makes me sad.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
As much as many of you may hate to admit it, Cris Angel and David Blaine are the future of magic. Nobody wants to see a Doug Henning special on TV today. People are looking for what's extreme. And in our craft there's only so much we can do to create that feeling. A couple of camera edits is a small price to pay I say to keep magic alive and in the limelight.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok hold up right now.

When was the last time you saw Blaine on TV? He is still alive but not anywhere to be found now is he? If he is so much the wave of the future and not a flash in the pan he would be still there. He is NOT.

Second Chriss Angel does not qualify as wave of the future with less than 1 season on cable TV. Sorry. Copperfield is still consistantly one of the top 10 paid entertainers on the world. Not magicians, entertainers. SOMEONE sure likes to watch him.

Future of magic ha ha. Maybe they will be who knows. But for now they are not.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Amir
View Profile
Loyal user
New York.
296 Posts

Profile of Amir
Criss Angel has real magical powers. Didn't you see the extreme intro movie? Only a real magician can have an awesome intro like that!!!! Smile

or

Aliens.

One of those is surely the answer.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Aliens ayyyyyyyy? Maybe it should be considered. No camera tricks but aliens. They did a fine job with the pyramids now didn't they?

But we are not here do discuss methods don't forget!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-08-29 23:28, raphlo2 wrote:
It seems a little too easy to blame camera edits for a failure to understand how exactly Chris did it. The more I think about the effect the more I think I know how it could be done...without camera edits.

Could have been bad directorial work. I remember an episode of "Blakes 7" (British SF show from the 80s) in which one of the characters did a breakaway phantom tube. First he shows the tube, a little clowning holding the tube to his ear and spinning around. Then he opens the tube and shows it empty, then he closes it up again, and at that point the director cuts to a reaction shot of his audience! Then back to the character and he reaching into the tube and pulls stuff out! The actor was actually a magic fan and said he was horrified when he saw the shot because he knew everyone was going to come up to him and say; "Oh, they just slipped everything into the tube at the cut, didn't they?" And they hadn't, he'd worked with that tube for hours to make it look right!

Quote:
On 2005-08-30 22:48, raphlo2 wrote:
What's with all these haters? Magic is a craft based on effects and its reactions--no matter how they are accomplished. Chris Angel has managed to do just thst and is more successful at it than anyone here on the Café. People, you really need to put an end to all this jealousy and just be grateful that someone out there is bringing the art to a mainstream audiences. Without people like Chris and David Blaine (who also gets bombarded with negativity on these boards) magic would remain a joke form of entertainment reserved for kids parties and restaurants. And may I add that althouhg he can at times be a little cheesy he brings an edge to the craft. Thank you Chris for actually breaking the stereotype of magicians being dorks (ie the movie industry having the main character in The 40 Year Old Virgin be into magic) and showing the rest of the world that magic can be something cool and exciting...not just "hey, look what I found behind your ear." Smile

So, it's OK that he's doing stuff that will only work on television with digitization?
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
If you watch the show at all you'll see that most of his stuff isn't edited. And if any of you have seen his NY show, you can't deny that he's an accomplished, skilled magiacian, with an original sense of creativity. It's really a shame so many of you come down on him, and can't support a fellow magician.

Posted: Sep 16, 2005 10:55am
Even if at times he can be a little cheesy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19733 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He is an accomplished magician to be sure. I HAVE seen his NY show and agree. I just wish his specials were more like THAT.

Can you REALLY tell me that you think the bus window thing was done without editing? YOU have to be KIDDING. Almost all of his stuff is edited. It simply is a fact of television. That is not the problem. The fact that the only way he can accpmplish magic, even though he IS an accomplished magician, seems to be through editing is sad.

He is creative, perhaps one of the most creative we have seen for a while I agree, he is also quite original. Matter of fact I have seen him spawn MANY immitators who pale in comparison.

This all being said almost ALL of the things he does ANYONE without the magic skill he posesses could accomplish. That is the problem I have. The fact that he is a talented magician almost never comes into play in the specials. Maybe I wish it did. That was what was great about the old specials. They involved talented magicians using their talents.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Chris Angel card through bus window (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.52 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL