The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Chris Angel card through bus window (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1295 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I like Criss, I have met him and spoke to him.
This thread is about magic at a moments notice.
Some of the stuff Criss does do impromtu.
But you have to realise the cost of doing a TV show.
They cannot waste tape. So 99.9% is planned.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19630 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nice when the children choose to post here.

Sam you haven't the faintest idea what you speak of. Is Richard Osterland outdated and cliched? and less sucessfull than anyone?

And while we are on the topic off topic, YOU are posting on the Café now arren't you?

Are we not allowed to have an opinion? Is one that differs from yours automatically outdated? Can't we learn from a civil discourse?

Grow up kid and learn to live with differing opinions.

tpdmagic my point was that his choice of OBVIOUS stooges was horrible.

Do you think because the laity does not know what a double lift is that they can't see what a bad one looks like? OF COURSE THEY KNOW. This is Richard Osterlans point I believe.

Anyway Sam please keep it civil at least if it is not too much trouble. thanks
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
voiceover
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of voiceover
Excuse me fellas. Chris Angel is not a magician. He is a filmmaker acting as a magician. He mixes basic street magic with scripted film production. It's not magic by any stretch. If it were he could do most of it live. He can't.

You guys can.

He can't.

He relys on film editing and a paid staged audience. His stuff is shot just like a movie is. None of it is live.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Quote:
On 2005-10-17 11:23, nucinud wrote:
They cannot waste tape.

They record Mindfreak on DV. Which costs less than borrowing a quarter, and buying a soda can.
themartyr
View Profile
Regular user
ca.
105 Posts

Profile of themartyr
Quote:
On 2005-11-10 18:46, voiceover wrote:
Excuse me fellas. Chris Angel is not a magician. He is a filmmaker acting as a magician. He mixes basic street magic with scripted film production. It's not magic by any stretch. If it were he could do most of it live. He can't.

You guys can.

He can't.

He relys on film editing and a paid staged audience. His stuff is shot just like a movie is. None of it is live.

that's one of the most retarted things I have ever heard. You are a moron! MAGIC IS DECEPTION.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Having worked on the set of Criss' Halloween special I can tell you there were really no camera tricks to do the magic... and in talking with Tomsoni, Banachek and others they avoid what you all here call camera tricks as much as possible.

They may do the same trick over several times to get different angles, or re-do a flub, and sure the best cuts are edited together.

His EDITOR is a magician and mamber of the Magic Castle and integrity of the magic is high on their list.

You wouldn't have the credible people helping if they didn't think it the thing to do.

He works HARD, thinks HARD and is a really nice guy and a gentleman to all the staff and spectators.

Much was shot live at the Castle with laymen in the audience... and like ANY TV AUDIENCE the floor man waves up the crowd with the applause cue. Hey, it isn't canned laughter.

And, have you noticed all the accolades (well deserved) on CYRIL'S work? Yet NO ONE IS SCREAMING ABOUT HIS EDITS AND CUTS?

Wonder why?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-11-11 19:25, themartyr wrote:
....that's one of the most retarted things I have ever heard. You are a moron! MAGIC IS DECEPTION.
I don't agree...morally there is a difference between *honest* deception and fraudy* deception...
Yeah, I know you might not understand what I mean..your problem then... Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
themartyr
View Profile
Regular user
ca.
105 Posts

Profile of themartyr
Quote:
On 2005-11-12 04:19, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-11-11 19:25, themartyr wrote:
....that's one of the most retarted things I have ever heard. You are a moron! MAGIC IS DECEPTION.
I don't agree...morally there is a difference between *honest* deception and fraudy* deception...
Yeah, I know you might not understand what I mean..your problem then... Smile

So your saying what criss does is not morally acceptable in the magic world? Im pretty sure he won magician of the year 3 times. Also I have two words for you. STAGE MAGIC
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-11-12 04:36, themartyr wrote:
So your saying what criss does is not morally acceptable in the magic world? Im pretty sure he won magician of the year 3 times. Also I have two words for you. STAGE MAGIC
I have a feeling you don't know the difference between a *real* pickpocket/a criminal and a *stage pickpocket* performing to entertain by *honest* and advertised actions, presented as entertainment, display of skill, whatever, but always with a twinkle in the eye and with fun and entertainment as the goal..
Watch Paul Potassy and Borra...

I am aware of, that the comparence of the above with what Criss Angel does is exaggerated, but to exaggerate, makes thoughts more understandable..

You still haven't got it.

One doesn't do magic a favour -in respect to *normal* watchers/non-magicians- by presenting/showing *impossible* effects based on cameratrickery and at the same time announcing that there are no cameratricks used..
NOTE..the above just mentioned example is not aimed especially at Criss Angel, it is a general remark re *honest* and *fraudy* deception, which are just my own terms to look at those things TV does provide us with...

Ever seen the *old* Mark Wilson TV series? He didn't need the *fraudy* help of the camera..one thing is to find a good angle for a shot, another thing is plain and pure cheating and camerafraud....

I'm not even interested in watching the *modern* way of presenting *magic* on TV, where there is NO magic, just simple and plain cheating the viewers by use of cameras..

I think I made it pretty clear (for most to understand, not all of course) what I mean, so I'll let it stand at that from my side... Smile

You stick to your opinion, I stick to mine, so each and evey word written from your site or mine is a waste of time ?

Depends on, *who* is listening and who does understand, which isn't the same to prove *me* right and *you* wrong or vice-versa, but 'food for thought' *whereto* magic is going in this century....to the better, or to the worst?????????????????

Amen.... Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Wtf?
Eyesee
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Eyesee
Well, there is no camera "editing" per se...BUT, I saw the same thing happen when Criss Angel did the trick where he penetrates thru a glass storefron window.... and another performer on TV a few years ago (can't remember his name) where he was locked in a box on one side of a canyon, and the helicopter flies over to the other side to find him emerge from a box on that side...

"the same thing" that happened is this: Either the magician or the voice-ever announcer makes an emphatic point that "THE CAMERA WILL NOT CUT AWAY AT ANY POINT."

But in every one of these cases, the camera DOES cut away briefly!! Look for it as soon as you hear that statement, you'll see it happen. That's the misdirection. Smile
jsvoros
View Profile
New user
Brenham, tx
5 Posts

Profile of jsvoros
Well guy's here's my two cents.

The fact of the matter is Chris is a real magacian, and a good one at that. Weather or not he's using "camera tricks" I don't know, and in this case it dosent really matter. The fact is that he is also an entertainer. He's taking advantage of the fact that there's a large part of the population out there who want to see magic, want to be fooled and can't travel to see live shows.

David Blaine started this trend by takeing magic to the people, and for better or worse people enjoyed it. Chris is merely takeing advantage of this as an entertainer and following Blaine's example with; at least in my opinion; bigger and better illusions.

There's an entire demographic out there that is hungry for this kind of entertainment, and if he can capitolize on that more power to him. I'm not saying this is the future of magic. And, it will never replace the experience of seeing magic live. However, for now at least, it's easy access for the masses to the form of entertainment we all love so dearly.
TonyLey
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of TonyLey
To all the doubters, haters and arm-chair magicians -
Why? Why even discuss the camera editing and the use of stooges? Blaine did the same thing on his television specials and with good reason.
When most magicians who do not perform professionally know a magic program is going to be televised, they will record it. We all do it. Most don't do it to watch the magic show itself and appreciate it, they want to know how the tricks are done or which tricks that particular perfomer is doing on his show.
In Blaine's specials he used editing to throw many magicians off track. He was capturing what spectators think they're seeing for the home audience. He knew that magicians would be trying to figure out his effects and look for things that a lay audience would not be looking for.
Angel does the same thing. His shows aren't for magicians. His shows are for the general television audience who, when watching one of this shows, will see exactly what the spectators that are there will experience. He's not concerned about what a bunch of speculating, arm-chair magicians think. The man is too busy making an envious living at doing magic. How many of the people who hate him are out there performing on Broadway or filming specials and television series. My guess is probably a very, very small amount. It's sad that there's this animosity towards someone who's doing so well in the field of magic.
Editing is used to keep magicians from understanding his methods. There are sooo many copycat magicians every time that a magic special airs that it's just ridiculous. Just look at what happened when Blaine did his levitation or used a particular device to make a coin disappear. Do you know how many people went out and bought that device? TONS. Just ask your local magic dealer to tell you about what happens the day after a magic special is shown on television.
For those that seem to spend much of their time discussing how terrible it is to see editing on a televised magic special...ask yourself what YOU do with YOUR special after you'd read these boards and knew what kind of magicians were out there?
Instead of wasting so much time bashing those performers that are out there actually doing something with their talents, why not develop your own, build a show, get a television special and look back on just how silly you were in the beginning.
Tony
voiceover
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of voiceover
Digital Magic at its finest.
Watch me make a car dissappear.
Roll Camera.
See the car?
Stop Camera.
Move Car.
Roll Camera.

Amazing! The car is gone!
Show astonished onlookers (friends and actors)
Put it on tv.
Call it magic.
Call it crap.
jodi6302x
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of jodi6302x
Criss angel doesn;t always use camera tricks I guarantee it because he is selling some of his effects. Look on his website and check it out.
themartyr
View Profile
Regular user
ca.
105 Posts

Profile of themartyr
Who cares? I'm entertained! Last post I will make on a purely opinionated topic.
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
Did anyone ever consider sleight of hand as the method? It's not like anyone looked at the card close up to determine that it had writting on it...until the bus stopped and the guy took the card and handed it to the spectator. Sounds like typical magic stuff to me!

Posted: Nov 15, 2005 11:09am
--------------------------------------------------
I find that all the people on this forum that are complaining of Criss Angel's methods are sort of like laymen who just figured out that the tricks they saw were as a result of conjuring and tricks and not the 'real magic' thing!

It's suppose to entertain and it did. Controversy is abundant once someone finds out the secret to a trick. It seems among magicians it's even more abundant when they can't figure it out!!!!
Mohaha....

Posted: Nov 15, 2005 11:18am
Someone mentioned fraudulant.. why?

Is the use of a TT fraud?

What about IT, is that fraud... it sure would be if the layman ever found out. But the layman is not suppose to know the method. Just like your not suppose to know the method to Criss Angel's magic.

Why complain that someone found a better method and used it to get to the same point your trying to do... make magic. Who cares the method, it's the end result we are after. And what is the difference if I am using the TT or the Raven to do the same thing?

Something unbelievable happens and everyone tries to figure it out... when they can't they just throw in the excuse that it's camera tricks.

What about using your head and thinking of alternative ways that it could have been performed?

Posted: Nov 15, 2005 11:22am
Hahahaha, what if we compare this:

Quote:
On 2005-11-14 13:36, voiceover wrote:
Digital Magic at its finest.
Watch me make a car dissappear.
Roll Camera.
See the car?
Stop Camera.
Move Car.
Roll Camera.

Amazing! The car is gone!
Show astonished onlookers (friends and actors)
Put it on tv.
Call it magic.
Call it crap.

to this:
Stage music at its finest.
Watch me make this hanky disappear
Lights
See the hanky
Watch me put it into my hand
Throw the TT in with it.

Amazing! My hands are empty!
Show astonished onlookers (friends and amazed magicians in the audience).
Get your own show on tv.
Call it magic.
Get heckled by magicians in the audience because you used a TT.
voiceover
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of voiceover
To the generation raised on Lip Synced concerts, I say to you...

A real magician does not need camera tricks.

A real magician uses a real audience.

Some of his tricks are standard magic, mixed in with the phony stuff. It gives the phony stuff leverage.

He's using you, and you should be offended.

Mark Wilson, Doug Henning, Harry Blackstone and other real magicians never stopped the camera, let the girl out of the box, and started the camera again.
TheFourWinds
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of TheFourWinds
I think that the camera tricks are just another form of what ever you call your gimmick.

Every trick has one and it just so happens to be what Criss Angel uses. Don't see a problem with it.

After all, you are not doing real magic now are you?! You use gimmicks. And sleight of hand.

I can see the audience having the same reaction that you are showing once they find out that they too can purchase it for $40 at their local magic store. In other words.. ya, you do sound like a layman!
Tony Ley
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FLorida
46 Posts

Profile of Tony Ley
Voiceover -
A real magician does not need camera tricks -
There are no 'camera tricks'. You are seeing what a layman would probably remember and how they see it.

A real magician uses a real audience -
If you use accomplices in your magic to create an amazing effect that the surrounding LAYMEN believe in...what's the difference between having hidden assistants on stage helping you?

As for the leverage...I agree with you. And?

He's using us? How? That's just a silly statement. I should be offended because why? Because he gets laymen to talk about magic and, in turn, gives me a chance to perform something I know that melts people's brains helping them to believe in the impossible?

Mark Wilson, Doug Henning, Harry Blackstone and other real magicians never stopped the camera, let the girl out of the box and started the camera again?
I'll bet that if they were able to take a camera out into the street with people all around them they would.

Your profile shows that you're a show producer? Would you risk exposure on the street while filming a network special like Blaine or Angel that could either make or break your career? Wouldn't you make sure that either you or the artist that you're representing came out of the whole thing smelling of floating roses? Or would you like to last as long as sheet of flashpaper in a barbecue?

Take care,
Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Chris Angel card through bus window (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL