The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bo Staff (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Hi Guys,

Do you know who makes the best bo staff illusion? I am wanting to get one made, but am unsure of the best people to go to. Right now I am leaning toward Bill Smith. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Dave
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
I believe the Bo Staff was originally put out by Bill Shedoudy and I think the name of his company was Spectre Studios, I think. I didn't know Bill Smith was building it too. They both do a good job.
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
As far as I know it is Roy Shank who is only allowed to build it and its actually his illusion. Looked into getting one once, have heard nothing but great things about it from friends who own them.
DANSPERRY.COM
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
225 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Bo Staff has been created by Jim Steinmeyer and Roy Shank. As far as I know, Roy is the only who builds this illusion. It is a real gem!

Regards,

D
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
Yes indeed, you are correct. It was Roy Shank and if memory serves, Roy and Bill Shedoudy were working together. But I don't know if Bill is still building.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
What the H#LL is the Bo Staff illusion????? I used to know a few using a bo staff.
johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
http://gerryfrenette.tripod.com/newindex.htm

Kind of like the Crusher from Magic Makers. But with a different style to it. More orient style I would say. Robert Gallup did it on his special.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Ahhh sooo...I remember the Robert Gallup special and the fight scene, too much like ballet I thought...that guy was just too d*mn good looking fer his own good I tell yeah! I did really like his sword box using the red lighted rods...to this day I still can't finger it out!

Oh yeah, thanks fer the link! Smile

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Eric Buss
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Eric Buss
Roy Shank...
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Thanks guys for all of the posts. I don't think I'll ever be ordering anything from Magic Makers. They were very rude to me when I inquired about an illusion a few years ago. Then when they saw me on Murray Hatfield's tour they all of a sudden wanted my business.

I would love to get it from Roy Shank, but have had no luck finding any sort of contact information for him. Does anyone have a number?

One other question, Bill Smith said he could build it, and sent me some pics. He said that royalties for it are paid to Steinmeyer. Is this his, or Roy Shanks?

Thanks again guys...

Dave
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7401 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I don't know who the royalties are but if Bill told you they were Steinmeyer's, they are. Bill is a very honest person.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
Honestly. I think Roy Shank is the best builder for this illusion I've seen it up close and it is utterly amazing I love the bo staff illusion and it iw Far Far Far far more deceptive than the Magic Makers version... don't buy that piece of garbage.
David Goldrake
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
225 Posts

Profile of David Goldrake
Dear Dave,

I have just sent you Roy's e-mail address and phone number via private message. Although I agree that Bill Smith is absolutely honest, I am not sure Jim gets royalties for Bo Staff...

Regards,

D
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Thanks everyone for your help. I have emailed Roy Shank, and will probably pursue his talents if he's available. Thanks again to everyone.

Dave
Lothar
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Lothar
I really enjoyed Robert Gallup's performance of this, but I think a couple of more staffs need to be pushed into the box. Using only 2 still leaves lots of room for the assistant to hide in. Robert Gallup presented this as kind of a kung fu duel with another man. This gave me an idea: present the sword basket illusion with dueling pirates.

Wes
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I love the Bo Staff illusion, but I remember reading a posting from Murray Hatfield saying how great it is, but hard to transport. And it won't fit through a standard sized door if memory serves. Something to consider. You mainly work large venues though Dave so it shouldn't be a problem.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
My understanding is that the design is a collaboration between Steinmeyer and Shank, and Shank was building them several years ago.
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Not fitting through a standard door could be a problem... My sub trunk doesn't fit through some doors too though... any ideas on how wide it is? I've always been able to get my sub trunk in, even if I have to take it out of the case first... Any thoughts?
Bill Smith
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Bill Smith
Here is the Bo Staff "story" as told to me by Jim Steinmeyer.

Roy Shank went to Jim to develop an Illusion utilizing martial arts and
a "bo staff" (long wooden stick). Jim created the Illusion for Roy as
a "gift" and Roy built the first one. Later on, Roy started building the
Illusion for others, without consulting Jim or giving him a creative fee.

Last year I had a client (Hans Klok) that was interested in the Bo Staff
and wanted me to build one. Knowing the story of the evolution of this Illusion,
I contacted Jim Steinmeyer about building one for Hans. He gave me permission
and I sent him a creative fee. This is the first time Jim has made any money
from the "Bo Staff Illusion"!
magicfest
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of magicfest
Hey Dave, Mark here.
I am also having one built, I will get ahold of you in a few days to tell you who is doing ours. Im on the road right now.
Mark Benthimer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bo Staff (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL