The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion show, opinions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

smokeandmirrors
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of smokeandmirrors
Hey guys,
We are building an illusion show, and we are currently in the process of defining our "performing style" and what we're going to sell ourselves on. after a lot of thinking, we came up with the idea of wearing masks, changing our eye color and our hair color for shows, so that we would be unrecognisable. also, obviously, using stage names. the masks we would use would be on our logos and sold after the show (here we are still debating). what we would market ourselves on is the mystery of the act, and once we walk out of the show, no one would know who we are or where we're going.

what do you guys think? are there any suggestions or helpful critisism? all your opinions are appreciated!!!!
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Sounds like Kiss type of thing in a magic show. Neat idea!

But are you guys going to tie in the look of the show, music, lighting, performance to fit this look that you are going to portray?

For an example: Is the scenery going to clash with the character you portray. Say look at Chris Angle and how he has a gothic feel. Then look at Sylvester the Jester where he has a cartoon feel to his show. Then the Gangsters they have a Manhattan/Mobster feel to there show. Does this make sense?

Its how they tie in the character they portray on stage, wither there magic, music, and lighting and so on to go with what everything.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
smokeandmirrors
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Well, this show is in it's early stages, but I would say that we are definately going to tie this in with the show. we want to have a very "action-y" show with fast music. our logo will be somewhere on all our props. if you have any suggestions on, that would help.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I had a client a couple of years ago who was mounting a touring musical (I'm a set designer). Nothing to do with magic -- it was a gospel/inspirational thing. He had all kinds of ideas for the set and wanted some designs.

My first comment to him was, okay, send me the script and we'll talk about it. But he didn't have one yet; it was being re-written as we spoke. But he had some definite ideas for the set and the artistic style.

And a deadline: the show and the star were already booked for the tour.

You know what's coming, so I'm going to fast-forward. The day before opening, they were still arguing about the script and the concept even as the lighting designer was focusing. Turned out the set worked fine, but it had nothing to do with the final style of the show, which ended up as more of a rock opera than a musical.

And this was after I'd spent hours and hours on the phone with him over several weeks and sent a number of faxes and sketches back and forth.

My point is, get the show (the script) down first. You have some rough ideas right now, but define the show before you start looking at the physical details. Otherwise you're liable to have the nose wiggle the rabbit.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
smokeandmirrors
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

You're right, and we do have down what we want to do, we just need to make it. we have all the blueprints and have already started work. but that is a good point, thank you. Smile
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Keep in mind that this disguise business allows for some minor miracles that can only be done by twins-triplets, etc. It also makes it possible for someone else to misrepresent themselves as you. On the other hand, you could launch multiple road shows using the characters you have created, just like sending a play on the road with different actors playing the roles. There are some hazards to what you are proposing, but also some serious benefits.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
smokeandmirrors
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

That is a very good point, spellbinder, and one that I had not yet considered. erich and I will have to think about that.
smokeandmirrors
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Well, we discussed it, and both of us seem to think that since we are going to have a definate look, just one that is not our own, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. and we will make sure to send out a lot of pictures with our potential clients. but thank you, that was a very thought provoking point. if anyone has any suggestions on this point or any other, they are appreciated.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion show, opinions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL