The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » My pad or yours? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Does anyone besides myself wish at times that you could use a close-up pad for performing in these impromptu situations? I bemoan the fact that there are so MANY great close-up routines, (such as coin matrixs, for instance) that require a close up pad.

If you try to carry one around with you, (Most likely scrunched up in your pocket!) it gets horribly wrinkled and or creased...and if you pull it out when you are asked to perform, then suspicions are aroused...(there must be something SPECIAL about that funny black pad he's using! yup! That is definitely the secret!))

What are your thoughts on this? Has anyone here found a solution (Or at least reasonable compromise) for the dilemna?

I have tried using paper towels and napkins for an impromptu pad, but they lack all the qualities that make a C.U. P. so usefull.

So for now I relegate all those beautiful card and coin routines that require a C.U.P to the junk drawer in my magic room. (Sigh)
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
255 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
I know you are trying to get away from carrying a close-up pad around but John Cornelius has his " Shuffle Mat " that folds up and can be carried in your pocket kind of like a wallet. Doesn't crease up and also holds your business cards at the same time !
Maybe you can use something like that instead ?
just a thought.

Hank sells them. Hope this helps.

Best,
Matt
miky
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of miky
A carpeted floor works well as a close-up pad. I've often done coin matrixes (or is it "matrices") and monte routines on my knees on the floor. I also have an attache case with soft sides that I put down on a table or desk for an impromptu close-up pad.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
A lot of places that I perform have hard waxed floors, and no carpets...so that is out...but I will look up the shufle mat and see what it has to offer.
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Well for coin matrix I knowa method of doing it woithout the pad.. or hte cards.. its all in the hands.
miky
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of miky
I'm not sure how the shuffle mat will solve the problem you mentioned in the second paragraph in your original post -- it will still arouse the suspicions you mention, won't it?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
You are correct. It seems , then, that the problem may be insurmountable...
Matt Morell
View Profile
Loyal user
Norwich, CT.
255 Posts

Profile of Matt Morell
Daffydoug,

How about just using a pocket handkerchief-(clean !), the better quality (thicker) material Handkerchiefs for impromptu performng surfaces. Drape it over a borrowed book or magazine. If you wrapped one around a book it would give you sort of a ledge - " poor man's servante " to ditch a coin or something.

Mouse pads work good also. Different sizes, don't wrinkle or crease. In certain situations/places maybe you can borrow one to perform on.

I don't know. That's all I could come up with right now. Just trying to help.

Matt
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
I 2nd the mousepad idea. You can even get one with a logo on it, so there is no suspicion, tacky as it seems. Likewise, CUP's make fabulous mousepads! Nice and big...
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
These ideas are really good...it's got my wheels turning.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Working on a carpeted floor, borrowing a mouse pad or towel is fine but
if you're thinking of carrying a pad of some sort you can forget that feeling of your magic being impromptu.

I love working with a closeup pad but every once in a while I'll work off a bare, hard table. Since I don't carry a deck of cards I also try to be prepared for those beat up, borrowed decks.

There's also a lot of 'in hands' tricks that can be done without a surface, minimal surface or using the spectators hands.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I know what you are saying...for me the rub is that I have learned a ton of great stuf tht I would love to show off, but normally can't. One that comes to mind is a version of the ace assembly from Mike powers called "Olram Aces and Impossible travelers."
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
477 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
I'd really hate to see you relegate them to the junk drawer. If the solutions were easy it wouldn't be magic. You've been given some good ideas so just keep those wheels turning. Practice some Bobo sleights and you can do a great coin matrix without cards or a pad. Have fun, get creative, want it bad enough, and you'll get there.
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Will do.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1115 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Allot of the time if you roll the pad, especially a mouse pad, it will weather better. Just roll instead of fold and keep it in a way that it doesn't fold the other way. I have gone into a matrix routine after a monte routine. I set the pad for monte, this made the pad part of a gambling con. Because it was set up that way it made it easy to go into some magic effects without much suspicion. You can also tell them that the best way to work with cards is on a felt surface. Show them the surface, do a ribbon spread, and then show them how much easier it is to pick up the card on the matt than the table. Just tell them why you are using what you are using.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have also considered that aproach.
jdknight
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of jdknight
RNT II has a great idea with their cups you could adapt. Have a nice bag made that is square to carry your props in. Sort of like the bags made to protect and hold silver silverware in. Its kind of hard to explain but you could carry your coins in little pockets, along with other small items, zipper it closed, roll it up and stick it in your back pocket to carry. Your excuse for this bag is that, obviously you are a magician and you need a way to safely carry and protect your stuff. So you are asked to perform, and you take your things out of the bag a place the bag on the table. An 8 inch by 10 inch bag with a zipper would work well.

Darren
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Would it have padding in it, or would it be real thin?
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Just a thought.
About 75% of the times I perform Matrix, I borrow everything.
I borrow a towel of almost any kind. I borrow the deck of cards.
And I use quarters that are borrowed.
As mentioned, carpets are great, actually better than anything else if not shag.
If they wish to see, they will supply the props. If not, best to move on.
Al Schneider
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thanks, Al! Good to hear from a working pro!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » My pad or yours? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL