The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Encyclopedia of Silk Magic on CD-ROM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I just noticed that all four volumes of the Encyclopedia of Silk Magic (that means it also includes the volume not written by Harold Rice but by Mark Trimble) are now available on a CD-ROM at Hocus Pocus (http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/). To those who own these, the description on the website rings true: "The best silk magic in the world is now yours - on CD-ROM! Over 1500 pages of Francis Martineau's hand-lettered text; thousands of beautiful Illustrations. If you are interested in Silk Magic at all (and what magician isn't?), the secrets of Silk Magic, past and present will be found covered in every detail in this wonderful four volume set." Even though I have these, I will probably be ordering this on CD-ROM.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7385 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am going to stick with my books. 1-3 are signed by Harold Rice and keep a treasured spot in my library.

While PDF files are ok for very expensive out of print books, they are harder to read than printed books. Since the Encyclopedias have a good index, it makes it very easy to look up stuff.

I have seen set of the first three selling on ebay for $50 two or three times recently. In fact, I almost got a full set for the price of the CD. Just too good to pass up even though I have a set.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Richard,

You and I are too old fashioned! I like my signed books too but the time has come the recognize that electricity is here to stay! CD-ROM is good technology we should use too. I remember the critcism when I got my Pat Page audio cassetts with picture books in the 70s and 80s. (That new fangled stuff will never last! It didn't. That's old fashioned too now.)

Want to buy an Edsel?

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Richard,
Congratulations on owning such a wonderful treasure.
The advantage of having the books is the tactile memories they contain. The advantage of the CD's is that you can printout just the part you need when you need it and don't have to drag around the whole book.

Both have their merits. As space becomes an increasingly precious commodity, the advantages of a digital library become increasingly apparent.

Bruce

P.S. Bob,
Glad you got a new tux.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I also will probably stick to the books most of the time but like Bruce said "the advantage of the cd's is that you can printout just the part you need when you need it and don't have to drag around the whole book."

Jimmy
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7385 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have my Sphnixes on CD. I enjoy them them read on planes. Plus the index on it is better than leafing through them all. I wanted to get the cd roms of the Linking Ring but I was going to wait until they came out on DVD just to get the index. I have a complete file of Linking Rings, Genii, the New Conjurers, and many other magazines. There is no comparison in my mind of leafing through a magazine or book to a cd rom.

The Silk Encylopedia does have very good index so the need for cd rom version is not that great.

To each his own..but as I rule I do not drag my books around. They are a valuable resource for me in my shop that pretty much stay right there. I find I can find things in the books much easier than a cd rom. Maybe it is the mental picture of the magazine page. I have always had a photographic memory on a lot of things. Space is a problem granted but they are worth it.

I'd love to have Edsel.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
236 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Richard, Well put. I am 100% with you on this and no I am not old fashioned as I have only just (not long ago) reached 40! I have things like the Sphinx, The Jinx etc. on CD, ie Magazines that are now out of print as this is the only way to obtain them and even like today's Magic, Genii and even Linking Ring magazines unless you put a marker in them there are just too many to look through. As Richard quite rightly says: "There is no comparison in my mind of leafing through a magazine or book to a CD ROM". I couldn't have put it better. The Magnificent Silk Magic Encyclopedias on a CD ? - Forget it!!!
All the best

Stuart ( A Fashionable Book Reader)

Derby Magic Circle (UK)
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2005-08-29 13:10, fccfp wrote:
Richard,
Congratulations on owning such a wonderful treasure.
The advantage of having the books is the tactile memories they contain. The advantage of the CD's is that you can printout just the part you need when you need it and don't have to drag around the whole book.

Both have their merits. As space becomes an increasingly precious commodity, the advantages of a digital library become increasingly apparent.

Bruce

P.S. Bob,
Glad you got a new tux.

Bruce.

The news is good and/or bad! Lucy and I do have new costumes. However three of mine are silver/grey as usual (two with tail coats and one with a dinner jacket). Sorry!

We also have several true white tie outfits for formal affairs but we don't consider those costumes. Now Rhett and the Clown (below) are just for the lucky folks in Dixie. Even Elvis would approve.

(You will never see me post my costume for Lucy's Genii in a Bottle routine. The fat boy hates it!) Lucy got new photos this week in her new costumes. Her's just keep getting better. Mine just look a little more wrinkled each time. Someday Willie Nelson and I will get to do Oil of Olay commercials!

I do like the books on disc too. Richard isn't the hard nosed he appears to be. His catalogs are on DVD and they look good. Ask him for one. (But ask him to autograph it!)

Enjoy your magic!

Bob
Magic By Sander

PS --- Lucy and I are in New York September 7-14 but we are over in the Rochester area. Then it's out to Houston for a week without Lucy.

Click here to view attached image.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7385 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Bob, if you grow a beard you could be a new "Col. Sanders". All you need is bucket of chicken.

My catalog is a cd rom not dvd. That is too advanced for me.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
That's it Richard! Silks in a Bucket! Don't you want color changing biscuits with that?

Bob
Bubba Whodini
Ain't no New York City Magician

You know our slogan: "Grits is Groceries!"
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
You guys are too much! Smile

Jimmy
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
OK, So we got one order silks in the bucket w/a side of color changing biscuits. Does that come with corn? Of course, how could it not?

:)
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Oops! You must know us well!

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Amazing Rallo
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Amazing Rallo
I was most impressed by the price of the cds. I had planned on ordering the Jinx and the Phoenix on cd because I don't know when I will be able to afford the books.
After receiving the Jinx however, I have decided that you can keep the cds. I'll just have to wait until I can afford the books.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I liked Rice's books so much, I have two sets. I would love to have all of my books on cd or dvd format. It's all good!
POOF!
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
104 Posts

Profile of Rice
I have quite a few of the original Volume III of dad's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic (new in the original box) that have slight marks on the book jackets. I am selling them for $20.00 a copy, including postage. Send me a PM if you want more information.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
That is a really good deal, Ruth!

Ron
Shane Baker
View Profile
New user
10 years and I've made a measly
79 Posts

Profile of Shane Baker
CD-ROM might be nice for some, but in my book, the codex rules!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I broke down and bought the CD just to get "Volume Four - Encyclopedia of Silk Magic" by Mark Trimble and the index it contains in order to collect the inventors for my Project Inventors Indexes.

It is embarrassing to have this Fourth Volume present on the same CD as the Rice Encyclopedia of Silk Magic. You can tell that it was optically scanned text, poorly done, that was NEVER checked by a proofreader and NEVER even put on a simple spell checker. There are so many typos and outright errors that I had to collect the inventors one by one and then verify each one for spellings of names, spellings of effects and page numbers within the Volume Four book. The sad part is that it would only take about a week of work for a competent proofreader and editor to correct the errors using spell check and common sense (Fant Asio is really Fantasio!).

I still don't understand why "The Silk Magic of Warren Stephens" was put in its own chapter instead of following the Rice procedure of categorizing the effects by type. It is true that Warren Stephens was a prolific inventor, but so were many others, including Harold Rice himself, whose effects are properly cataloged in volumes 1 to 3. Oh, well.

If the publisher (Magic City) gives permission, the index of inventors from Volume Four will soon be on-line at my site.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If you haven't checked out Spellbinder's new index, your Rice books are missing an important accessory.

Great work Spellbinder!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Encyclopedia of Silk Magic on CD-ROM (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL