The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kingmedia
View Profile
New user
Colorado
22 Posts

Profile of kingmedia
I'm researching a new chop cup routine and I'm looking to get away from the usual "is the ball in the cup or is it in the pocket" approach. Anybody have any ideas, suggestions or can you direct me to established routines that I can study for inspiration?
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
Doug Brewer has 2 good ones in his book "The Unexpected Visitor: Coin Magic for the Walk Around Performer" One uses the miracle coin cup, and the other is a single cup and ball routine with a potato load kicker. The latter I have been using (slightly altered handling) with great response. Hope this helps.
He who laughs, lasts.
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1632 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Try Larry Jenning's chop cup routine in "Larry Jennings on Card and Coin Handling" by Jeff Busby. Another variation of Larry's famous chop cup routine can be found in Jim Swain's "21st Century Card Magic" in the Larry Jennings section. This routine is so good that Al Wheatly (inventor of the chop cup) asked Larry not to put it in to print as he felt it was too good to be tipped.

Take care,

Dorian Rhodell
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Dorian knows his stuff, and I gotta go along with him on this one--Larry's is the best. Aldo Colombini has a nice routine called, "Laser Cup," which is available as a separate item and can also be found in his book, "Impact," published by Mickey Hades.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
clunk_71
View Profile
New user
Burton-on-Trent England
99 Posts

Profile of clunk_71
I think Rafael Benatar has some lecture notes flying about covering a good chop routine (but I may be mistaken-it could be a combo with 3 cups including the chop) called the transit cups and balls or the trick with the fr.......... don`t say it!!! Smile

Smile
Best regards, Lee
leepalmer@orange.net

Only do what your good at....and then everything you do looks good
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6583 Posts

Also worth checking out is Finn Jonn's, "New Theory Chop Cup" from, "Spectacle" by Stephen Minch.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
atkinsod
View Profile
Regular user
VA
174 Posts

Profile of atkinsod
Another good routine can be found in,

"The Professional Routines of Ron Frederick."

It too uses a small cup along with the chop cup.

Doug A.
kingmedia
View Profile
New user
Colorado
22 Posts

Profile of kingmedia
Thanks for all the great info everyone. Happy New Year!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Kingmedia,

Larry White, the magic editor of M-U-M magazine, did a beautiful chop cup routine for my Showtime column in the Linking Ring of January, 2001.

It's based on the story of Snow White, with plenty of comedy.

Cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
preston91
View Profile
Regular user
clearwater,fl
187 Posts

Profile of preston91
Scott Guinn has a nice chop cup routine in his, "It’s More Magic" book, as well, that can be done standing...

Paul
martinkaplan
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
In Ron Wilson's, "THE UNCANNY SCOT" there is a chop cup routine done with a cardboard coffee cup and at the end of the routine the magician produces a snifter of brandy. By the way, the Larry Jenning's chop cup routine that has been previously mentioned here is really Ron Wilson's routine. Ask any Magic Castle regular.

-Marty
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6583 Posts

Paul!

To be more accurate, I have a cups and balls routine that uses one chop cup and one matching ungimmicked cup.

Thanks for mentioning it! That's very kind of you.
My Lybrary Page
Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny UK
139 Posts

Profile of Joe
Ken Brooke did a routine with a CC plus a shot glass, silk and two Large Load coloured balls. Don’t know if it’s in print anymore.
Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
John Bannons chop 2 is brilliant.
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
<BR>Mid way this way of life we're bound upon, I woke to find myself in a dark wood, where the right road was wholly lost and gone.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Any good handling for a shot glass sized,
mini chop cup?
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Wiley
View Profile
New user
St. Paul, Minnesota
33 Posts

Profile of Wiley
Quote:
On 2002-08-21 12:37, KingStardog wrote:
Any good handling for a shot glass sized,
mini chop cup?

Hmmm.... Your use of the words "shot glass" got me thinking.... Mine almost looks like a shot glass.

I wonder if you could use 'modified' green olives, with a small lime as the final load.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
There seem to be two approaches to the chop cup. Both involve a hidden gimmick. It may be built into either the cup or the ball.
Building it into the ball allows the use of a steel bottomed cardboard "cup" such as is used for many snack products.

I've been working on this but have been unable to find a source of the gimmicked balls. Anyone know where I might get some at a reasonable price?

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
The balls can be acquired anywhere at a reasonable price. Just call up your local magic dealer.

I've been using a Pringles can as a chop cup with the Mike Rogers baseballs.

It's a good match.

The baseballs and an actual chop cup did not work so well.

The balls and the cup liked each other too much, if you know what I mean.

One other thing. LJ's routine --though it is great-- requires that the magician is seated if I'm not mistaken.

If you want a routine that is more walk around, I picked up the Jim Sisti routine, but it is more of the "where's the ball" storyline. Not bad, though.

I also read a strolling routine in a recent magic magazine which I since lost. It was an in-the-spectator's hands version which I thought was a good idea for strolling magic. I just don't remember how to do it. Basically, a silk is placed on the spectator's hands and then the cup. Vanish a ball, and ask the spectator if they feel anything. No? Shake the cup, and now the hear it rattle around in the cup.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4380 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2002-08-26 03:35, fstarsinic wrote:
I've been using a pringles can as a chop cup with the mike rogers baseballs.

it's a good match.

Hmmm... I wonder if those puffed cheese balls come in similar 'short' can?

If so, that might make an interesting chop cup routine...

I'll check the next time I'm at the grocery store.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
I know at least one magician who does the Jennings routine standing. If I remember correctly only one load has to come from under the table/pocket. Should not be a problem.

I would also recommend Larry White's Snow White routine from the Linking Ring. Another one of those magic tricks wrapped in a story.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL