We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Single Drawing Dup without use of SUC & Chan Canasta Book test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark Hogan
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Mark Hogan
Dear all
2 Questions that require your expertise!!!

1)I have a very clever 3 person routine with a great peak that allows me to do a great Drawing Duplication

However I work private parties and invaribly someone asks me to duplicate their drawing one on one

I'm not averse to a device,however in small groups they invaribly smell a rat and want to know why i'm putting it in my wallet etc any clever ideas that will allow me to dup a single drawing with the minimum of handling or use of a device?

2) I'm working on a routine based around Fords Excellent Suggestive Mentalism

I've heard good things about Chan Canastas book test, however I've never got a full description and it seems very expensive!

Here is the usual set up....

A) I don't claim to be a mind reader so speed reading the book is allowed and use of NLP reading eye access cues etc would fit into my routine

B) As its a private party, people will have books lying around and i'd like to use them where possible.

Again sonmetimes i am asked to repeat this effect so I'd like a method with minimum handling, convoluted page numbering etc

Any ideas /recommendations/ridicule would be appreciated!!

Thanks in Advance

Mark Smile
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
As far as the Chan Canasta BT goes, its more of a skill than anything else. No gimmicks. The pricy part u r referring to is the book(?) Yes it is, but it adds to a great collection. Its all about presentation. If you think you'll be receiving new ideas/tricks then it may not be as suitable. But u get great ideas on presentational angles.
Hope that helps.
Smile
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
Answers to 1, 2, and 3...
Richard Busch's "Peek Performances".
Ted (Leondo)
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
I'll second that, Ted. "Peek Performances" is full of gems. Smile
What is the color of magic?
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
835 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Why do many one on one dup's? One time a show, engagement is enough...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
PK
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of PK
You could use the PR technique. It is completely clean. This is ideal for a 1 on 1.

Kevin
eric2104
View Profile
New user
saint-martin (French West Indies)
87 Posts

Profile of eric2104
Docc Hilford's "7th Sign" is an impromptu, no-gimmick design duplication that was designed to be presented as a 1 on 1.
Banachek also has an effect, called "Picture Duplication" (I'm not sure of the title), which fits the bill too. It's a double effect, allowing the spectator's and the mentalist's powers to be tested. Also meant to be 1 on 1.
And of course, as said before this post, Peek Performances is THE source...
Hope that helps.
Smile
"All magic is mental"
Tony Shiels.
Mark Hogan
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Mark Hogan
Could someone tell me a little about the set up for Doccs 7Th Sign Pleas, and where I can purchase the effect!

mark Smile
ThoughtThief
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of ThoughtThief
Re Question 2:

Chan's booktest is not easy (even Chan missed from time to time), and not everyone will be able to develop the knack for it. However, it is fabulous stuff. Personally, I would (and do) use it as well as the classic (far easier) David Hoy booktest, plus Richard Busch's excellent handling of the Hoy-type test from "Peek Performances. For good measure, you might want to carry with you the little gizmo that comes an effect that I believe is called "Final Booktest," which I use primarily with magazines that might be lying around. And pick up a copy of Richard Mark's "Mind Warp" or the new release "Ahead of the Pack" and learn a good impromptu progressive/cummulative anagram method of (apparently) revealing a word in a book, magazine or newspaper merely thought of by the subject

With the above-described methods in your arsenal, you should be well equipped for any private party/newspaper office situation that may come your way. Others may disagree, but I think it is important to vary your methods, or at least be prepared to do so, in more informal performance situations, particularly where you might rightly be asked to "do that thing with the book" (or magazine or newspaper) for others at the gathering, or where a particular method(s) turns out to be better suited to the performance dictates. In these kinds of situations, I like to think of the performance as a kind of jazz improvization, where what you do next, and how you do it, is determined to some extent by the exigencies of the moment and the mood of the performer and the audience. Yes, you have an outline for your performance (the melody), but you are not afraid to "riff" when the situation presents itself. The performer with good "chops" (flexible, variable methods and techniques at his disposal) is well positioned to "go with the flow" and create memorable experiences that he might not have planned but is prepared to exploit.
A l a i n B e ll o n
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of A l a i n B e ll o n
The Canasta book test is only for the serious performer. And I am not just saying that. The practice and ability required will make it a cumbersome test to perform. It can fail, not only because of the method but because of the human skill required.
eric2104
View Profile
New user
saint-martin (French West Indies)
87 Posts

Profile of eric2104
Quote:
On 2002-10-30 11:11, Mark Hogan wrote:
Could someone tell me a little about the set up for Doccs 7Th Sign Pleas, and where I can purchase the effect!

mark Smile

7th Sign is performed and explained in the Vol.2 of the Desert Brainstorm Video Series (as far as I know, it is not a marketed effect). The method is simple, straightforward, and only involves a few business cards.
If you need to know more details, send me a mail.
All the best.
Eric
Smile
"All magic is mental"
Tony Shiels.
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
Three times lucky!

Peek Performances is what the doctor ordered. This is an indispensible book.
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
sandman690
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of sandman690
You might also want to look at Confesions of a Psychic and Further Confessions of a Psychic. Both have info on Drawing Dups.

Stan Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Single Drawing Dup without use of SUC & Chan Canasta Book test (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL