The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Head Slicer illusion ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dangerous Dave
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Dangerous Dave
Hi,
This is my first post on this forum. (after my intro)
I was wondering if anybody could help.
I have come across am illusion called "The Head Slicer" which is being made by tilford illusions. see link below

http://www.tilfordillusions.com/headslicer.html

As I am only starting off preforming Stage illusions and currently have little spare money so I sent a email to tilford asking if I could just buy the plans as I live in the UK and I just cant afford the whole illusion. Unfortunaly they came back and said they do not sell plans. So my question is ...
Is there somebody else who makes a similar illusion or do you know of anywhere I could purchase the plans for such a illusion.
As I am just starting off I feel that this trick would be the talk of the town.
Thanks for your time
Dangerous Dave
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
My advice is to get a old book about stage illusions, and then continue to stare at the picture until the solution comes to you. If you have been in magic for any reasonable length of time it should be obvious, if not - we don't talk about secrets on this forum.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Dangerous Dave
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have been working 75hrs weeks,
so basically I have been....Working...Sleeping....Working...Sleeping.
I understand that this forum don't talk about secrets, but I wasn't asking for any secrets to be revealved.
In answer to your question, I have been into Magic Illusion for soem time, and understand the working of most stage illusion from the likes of Copperfield, Daniels, Blaine, Simon Drake. But for some reason I can't figure out the above mentioned trick.

I obviously need to study the picture more, I normally can work out how a Illusion is done by watching it being preformed. I am currently looking for some footage on the internet. Maybe this will help my quest.

You also mentioned a getting a old book about stage illusions, I will keep my eye open for such books.

Thanks again for your advice.

Dave
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
WOW.... I agree Frank I just went to the link and I think I have it figured out in just a couple of minutes. Get a book on Illusions and read thru it. This one seems too simple. Try Tannens magic for plans, They might have what you are looking for Paul Osborne Plans is another name to google
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Dangerous Dave
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Hi MagicB1S,
Thanks for your reply and advice.
I will have to invest in the range of Paul Osbourne books. The funny thing is that I know it is going to be so obvious how the trick is done I will end up kicking myself.
Thanks again for your help.
Dave
jamieallan
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of jamieallan
Just a bit of friendly help....Firstly if you see an illusion off a video you might have some idea how it is done but that's it, this is way we have so many bad illusions in this world people THINK how they are done....Origami Box any one???.

Secondly don't rip off anyones illusions or shall I come and copy your act????

Well its only my feelings on the idea

JA
jamieallan
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of jamieallan
Just a bit of friendly help....Firstly if you see an illusion off a video you might have some idea how it is done but that's it, this is way we have so many bad illusions in this world people THINK how they are done....Origami Box any one???.

Secondly don't rip off anyones illusions or shall I come and copy your act????

Well its only my feelings on the idea

JA
Dangerous Dave
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Hi jamieallan,

I am new to this forum and this has been my first post.

I don't know why you have so much negativity against myself and my first ever question.

I was looking for help not criticism.

Thanks to you I will nolonger be using this forum. As I mentioned in my intro I have just got back into Magic and I don't need someone like you to knock me down before I can stand on my two feet.

Thanks for being so rude. I just hope you will re-find the Love for Magic and the Magic preformer by being encouraging and being tackful in your further replies. Just remember the feeling of other Magicians.

So Goodbye "Magic Café" it was nice knowning you.

Dangerous Dave
philosopher
View Profile
New user
England
8 Posts

Profile of philosopher
What a shame someone has been put off so soon. I am new here too. Just because we are new to this forum doesn't mean we are new to magic. Someone who is trying to earn money this way needs help not hinderance, surely?
jamieallan
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of jamieallan
Dangerous Dave read my post again, it was not solely directed at you and read the first line and I quote......"Just a bit of friendly help...." and I was not negative against your good self!

Perhaps you should not take things to personal and welcome advice which I think you wanted????

I stand by my last post.

Good luck in your career!!!

JA
philosopher
View Profile
New user
England
8 Posts

Profile of philosopher
Interesting- maybe it's part of the cultural divide, because the way I read your post, Jamieallen, was that it is critical and dismissive of someone trying to see how a trick is done and trying to do the same trick. Surely, it's the case that effects are "copied" or reworked or developed all round the world?

Every single magician started off from not being a magician.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Don't give it any further thought Jamieallen. Certainly don't take his leaving personlly. One would think to be called Dangerous one might need a thicker skin. He came, he posted four times and left because of the way he was treated? This is probably the best magic board out there - try altmagic for a while and then compare.

Anyway he chose not to give any information about himself. There is nothing of any use on the profile to give us insight as to skill level, time in magic and other interests. Basically he wanted something, didn't get it and for that we must all feel guilty? I don't think so. My advice was sound, it is an old, OLD principle in illusions talked about at great length in "Hiding the Elephant".

Perhaps if he keeps in magic he will rediscover the value the Café has to offer, perhaps not, in any case the loss is his and not ours.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
jamieallan
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of jamieallan
Hi philosopher well perhaps we all have different ways of reading posts.

Thanks Frank for the support.

The point I was making was too many illusionists and magicians copy a persons work which has taken that person a lot of time and money. Its time to stop this!

If you want to perform a trick or illusion think up a new idea or pay the rights to perform that trick.

How many people out their perform a real Origami, if you do hold your head and up high! If you use a copy of this illusion then you do not love this art form of magic I feel.

But of course this is only my feelings on the matter!

JA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Head Slicer illusion ... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL