The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Houdini's Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
I wanted to purchase a set of cups and I can not order anything online for a while. The only magic shop near me is Houdini's Magic Shop. They sell Aluminum cups for $24.50 and I was wondering if they were a good quality. My budget is pretty small and I just want to try Cups and Balls to see how it is. I do not want to spend too much money on something I am not sure I will like. If anyone has bought these cups, please tell me if they are worth buying and if they are of a nice quality.

-Thanks,
Shalin
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Shalin,
Are you in Las Vegas?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
No, I live near Irvine in California. Houdini's is the only magic shop around.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Well, in that case if you can't shop online, the price from Houdini's isn't that far off. However, I'd ask them if they have the same cups in copper. The added weight will help. It's worth the extra few dollars.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
Are these cups of a good quality? Are they completely aluminum or are they just plastic covered in metal? The only copper ones I saw were around were $90, and that is out of my budget.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I'm not sure what you mean when you say you can't shop online. If nothing else, you obviously have access to the internet. Read through the threads on selecting a less expensive set of cups and balls (there are many), look up some of the stores/resources referenced,then puchase some recommended cups by mail from one of these resources.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
The problem is that my parents are stubborn when it comes to ordering things online or by mail. They always want me to go to a shop and purchase something. I have only purchased online a few times, and my parents do not like it. I have no problem ordering online, but until I can get my own credit card, all I have is Houdini's Magic shop.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Okay, take them with you and have them look at the choices. When they see the difference (and they will!) between a cheap cup and one only a few dollars more, they'll probably opt for the upgraded set. Aluminum ones might be good for a few months, or until you drop one (and you will!) and it bends out of shape. Using this logic you should be able to convince them that the copper or brass cups are far superior and worth the modest price difference.

If my son presented me with a cool headed presentation why the upgraded ones are better, I'd buy them, and probably so will your parents. I've even been known to convince my son to spend even more and get the really good stuff, something that won't wear out in a few months. Of course I'd be motivated to make sure he sticks with it and doesn't just give up on it.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Let me second Dave's final point in particular. Parents don't want to spend much money on this week's fad. Convince them you're serious, and the road should get easier. Good Luck!

Flimnar
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
I just called my local Houdini's, and they do not currently have the copper cups in stock. All they have is aluminum. I decided not to go yet, but they said that they have not carried the copper cups for a long time. Should I go for the aluminum, are they good quality? I really do not know what other cups I can buy locally.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
You live near Irvine, any chance of taking a trip into L.A. to Hollywood Magic?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Those cups appear to be the ones by Uday. That price is a bit steep for those cups. You should be able to get a set of Uday copper cups for that price. They should be able to get a set from Murphy's.

I won't go into details about why I think that is a high price. But if you look at their web site, they charge $18.95 for the same cups to their members. Even then it is still a high price for those cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
$90 for copper cups? At the shop where I work, we only charge $35 for a copper set and they're pretty nice, I must say. But then again, we're in Chicago, so that's probably not much help to you. But Houdini's seems to be a little high priced.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That price was for a copper combo set. And it was way overpriced. These guys are doing strange things with their markup. Nothing illegal about that, of course.

Then again, most of the cups in the museum cost more than that.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Shalin,
Have your parents read this thread. Maybe they'll change their mind about internet ordering. There's definitely better prices and quality out there.
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
My parents just read this thread...but they are staying with their decision. They have had bad experiences from ordering online. Anyway, should I just not get the cups and balls from Houdini's? I really can not go to LA anytime soon, and I do not know what else to do.

-Thanks,
Shalin
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Perhaps you could identify a few sets of cups you would like to purchase, then ask family/friends your parents trust who are traveling or live elsewhere to go to a shop in a different city and buy some cups and send them to you. You could even check ahead of time to find out what's available at a certain store on the web or by calling. There are always people traveling to Los Angeles, Las Vegas, New York, etc.

Good Luck.

Flimnar
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
I will try that, but it is rare that much of my family will be travelling there. A lot of my family lives in India, and only a few people live here in California. The ones who live in California live near me, but I will ask anyway.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Shalin: How old are you and what is your budget?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
I am 15 and I have a small budget of $20-30. I really want to try out cups and balls and I am going to Houdini's tomorrow to buy a card magic book. I was thinking of looking at the cups while I was there and I am considering buying them. How can you tell if a cup is all metal, or is a plastic cup covered in metal. If I do buy these cups, I at least want them to be all metal and somewhat durable. I am still not sure, but any other advice would help.

Thanks,
Shalin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Houdini's Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL