The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Houdini's Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Shalin,

Do you just want to try the cups and balls or are you ready to make a commitment to learn it? That is the first question. I started with a plastic chrome colored set wth red pom poms as the balls. I learned the Vernon routine. Then I learned about better cups and bought some aluminum cups and then Paul Fox in Copper and perhaps reached the pinicle in Brett Sherwood Engraved cups.

It doesn't really matter what cups you have, until you really want to learn the various routines and perform them. Some moves are easier with some cups. Most moves can be done with most cups.

You can either buy several sets of cups over your lifetime as you grow with this trick, or you can invest in a good set of cups from the beginning. If your parents allow you to spend your own money, go to Washington Mutual Bank and open a checking account or two. Open a savings account as well. These are fee accounts. Then get a Pay Pal Account and you can buy what you want, when you want and take the risk yourself. You may get burned. I have been burned three times on the internet. I have also made many great deals and that small percentage of loss is OK with me.

Store your money in the savings account and only use one checking account to buy on Pay pal. Transfer money to it only when you are ready to buy. You can do this on the computer or at an ATM. Save your money until you can buy what you really want. Make a trip to a bigger magic store and see and handle many props and then buy them over time, when you can afford them. Show your parents your drive and responsibility and seriousness, and they will support your interest. It also helps if you get good grades in school.

Kirk
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
I just wanted to try Cups and Balls before I upgrade to a better set. That is why I am considering the cups from Houdini's. I just want to know how to tell if they are plastic coated in metal, or all metal. I think it may just be by weight but I am not sure.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Except for the copper combo set, Houdini's basically only sells two kinds. Plastic (in color) or Aluminum, and the occasional wood set (which is easy to spot). They are labeled on the package, and the salesperson will tell you. They have no reason to lie to you and spoil their reputation.

If you've exhausted all your options and your only choice is walking in to Houdini's, then get the aluminum ones. They're the same size as most standard cups, and you can learn the moves better than you can with the smaller, lighter, plastic ones.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1025 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
How about some bread or paper and dixie cups, and get a good book with a basic routine. You can do it with lots of different cups. If you just want to experiment there is no reason to spend the money yet. The heavier cups do different moves. and you want little bounce and some weight to the balls. This makes all the stuff you can do easier. But balls of tape and paper cups will do the job to a certain extent. good luck. Stuart
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Hmmm... I was just got back from my trip to california. I don't know where Irving is but if your talking about Peir 39 Houdini's then you should be able to get to miderections magic, TERRIBLE YOUNG CHILD PLACE! I did not have a pleasent experience there so I got some beginner 5 inch linking rings at houdinis but had a good time and souvenir. Sorry for the lousy typeing haven't slept for a day.
C
Tarbell!
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
486 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Shalin-- Best Magic is in Anaheim, Ca. and is close to Irvine and I believe that Hollywood Magic used to have a store in Newport Beach (Not sure if it's still there). However, I would recomend checking out the Yellow Pages to see if there are shops nearby. Good Luck.
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
VAn Vranken's reply makes the most sense. The key is to learn the basics, the vanishes and loads, etc.

The important thing is the "touch" the way you handle the props. If you are awkwarad and stiff, you can have $1,000 sherwood cups and they won't help. If you have the touch... you can use paper cups, coffee cups, just about anything.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
Thanks for all the info guys, I just bought the aluminum cups from Houdini's, and I think that thry are fine for a first set.

-Shalin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Houdini's Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL