The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Table? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
zman1234
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of zman1234
I'm sorry for asking such an obvious question to all of you seasoned pros out here, but what exactly is Gazzo's table like?

(Gazzo is a street performer, right?)
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
As this is my first post here (I think), I want to congratulate all those who work on this site (even the tea boy). Not just for the creative bulletin board styles, but for the members enlisted here. In some forums, you can find arguing and threats. Not here. Also, this site does not restrict site addresses being posted - Brilliant!

Now that's done, here are my questions.

First, I want to know if anyone has purchased an inexpensive stand at 38" tall. (if you managed to get it in/to the UK, even better)

Also, I was wondering - Do you think the stand for an ironing board could work? I thought it might as it is adjustable and should be fairly lightweight.

Where can I get cheap plywood online?

What surface material do you recommend. Feel free to e-mail me at cstreet_1986@hotmail.com or just post your message here.

Thanks all.

Chris
--------
"Think inside the box - everyone else is too busy trying to think outside it" De'vo Vom Schattenreich
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I do not think that a ironing board stand would work, since they do not usually have a wide enough base.

The fabric I use is velvet, but it remains to be seen how well it holds up. Many use upholstery fabric, which is pretty tough.

My velvet goes over a 1/4 inch pad (got both at a fabric store) and is stapled over a 2 foot by 3 foot, 3/8 inch thick, plywood board. I made a frame from 1 by 2's and the plywood sits in this frame. The frame sits on top of a folding leg base, made up of 1 by 4's. The whole thing is about 35 inches high, and although a little heavy for the street is very solid. It will fold up and I can bungie cord it together and there is a shoulder strap to carry it. I made a thin board, with my initials and "Magic and Illussions" that hangs off the front.
Chris
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
I have just finished watching Cellinis Volume 1 DVD of The Art of Street Performance, and he says that he knew someone who used an ironing board, but I already have a table now.

Chris
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
There's a nice table on art of 2 that I use... with a servant which is a really good way to work.
koz
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I have seen Koz's table. No frills, but extremely workable.

As I recall, his working surface is like green plastic grass carpet, and it looks like it works great for him.

I have a large closeup pad that fits into my case and is covered with firm foam, and high quality velvet ($18/yard, but I got it half price as remnant and got enough to do two large 2 X 3 foot pads). So far, the velvet seems to be tough as iron. Even jammed into my case/table, it comes out fresh looking, and works really great for coins or cards.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
My velvet is tough, too, but how is it in the rain? I know we should not perform when we are rained on, but there has to be times that you get hit with a quick storm and things get wet before you take the table down.
Chris
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Mine has been in New Orleans Rain in December and more. When you are out there, and it starts raining, you can't totally avoid it getting a little wet. Especially if you are turning a good tip, you don't want to pack it all up with a little rain. So you push it a little. I did, and got pretty wet.

I didn't think of it before, but I imagine you could spray on some waterproofing that would help keep it dry. But I would definitely test it before I sprayed the whole thing.

And it isn't jus when it is raining, because when the humidity is about 100%, it will take on moisture. Mine even even survived a basement flood in Ohio where the pad was totally immersed up about 4 inches. I dried it out, and although the wood backing swelled up some, the velvet was fine.

As long as it doesn't get moldy, if it is good quality material, it will last a good long time.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Although the Scotchgard people don't really recommend it, you can use Scotchgard on a velvet table top. It will shed the rain then.

Regarding riding a bike with a 50 pound table on your head -- that certainly sounds dangerous to me. I would heartily recommend that if you need to carry a table on your bike, you get one of those bike trailers and use that, instead.

If you had any idea how frightening it is to drive behind a bike rider that is carrying a load like that, you would never do it again.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
shiggity fliggity the magic man
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of shiggity fliggity the magic man
Yeah it's pretty hard to ride a bike with that but I don't know about a trailer. I was thinking a small collapsible table and by the way have I posted here I think I did because I talked about the 50 pound table but I can't see my post.
"love never dies of starvation but often of indigestion"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Table? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL