The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Reprint Vernon's Revelations? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Are there any plans to reprint Dai Vernon’s Revelations?

I know that Darwin Ortiz put out the Annotated Erdnase a couple of years ago but I would still like to read Vernon’s thoughts on Erdnase.

Furthermore, Bruce Cervon mentioned in Genii last year (I believe) that many of Vernon’s thoughts and improvements to the routines were held back from the original printing of Revelations.

Does anyone have a thought about which version is a better resource: Relations or the Annotated Erdnase?

Thanks
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Revelations is the DVD set sold by L&L. What do you want reprinted?
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Get yer facts lad - it is actually a book as well, an annotated version of Erdnase's book.

I will go out on a limb and say that I've gotten more from the Ortiz version. I realize this is sort of heresy but it's a fact. This may simply be that Ortiz has annotated the thing in more voluminous detail, while Vernon's comments were quite sparse. Don't get me wrong, Vernon shared some great insights, but much less of them, numerically speaking. Ortiz was quite thorough in every way.
tjo'
Chris Bristow
View Profile
New user
Warwick, Rhode Island
67 Posts

Profile of Chris Bristow
I was also wondering if this would be reprinted. I love Expert At The Card Table and always wanted it but the only copies I could ever find were 500$ ones. I loved Ortiz's version though.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
685 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Ortiz's version is a wonderful stroll through most of modern card magic but Vernon's has a couple of moves that make me giggle gleefully like a little girl.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-09-01 16:09, Jeff Corn wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

No problem Jeff - it's an easy mistake to make since both products (though different) have the exact same name...

I got my copy about a year or so ago. It was the very last copy that a certain magic shop had in stock...
tjo'
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
T. Joseph,

Could you tell me if Ortiz touches upon the same observations as Vernon?

I feel that if I don't also get to read Vernon's Revelations that I will be missing a key analysis. By this, I mean that maybe Ortiz takes a different look at the book and misses some of the professors observations with the Vernon Touch.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

I'll have to take a look. Ortiz really does touch on almost every part of the text - I do recall him mentioning that he found Vernon's analysis bang on in parts of the book (at least I think I recall that).

I'll look when I can (busy tonight).

tjo'
tjo'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Reprint Vernon's Revelations? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL