We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Whit Haydn is my new hero... (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Whit,
Sorry, my mistake. I had been told previously they were Sander's. You are correct, of course, about Mogar knives. That's the set I use. THe rough/smooth on the scales makes them a pleasure to use. I think it also helps to emphasize that the knife has changed. From Smooth & white to Black & textured.

Bruce

P.S. Joe Mogar will be giving his lecture @ SAM 181 in Heightstown, NJ on the first Thursday in Oct. For more info go to magicsam181.com
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
briancherbo
View Profile
New user
The Second Deal
40 Posts

Profile of briancherbo
Sammy, I would also STRONGLY suggest picking up Whit's manuscript "The Intricate Web of Distraction." (Color changing knives) I had the extreme pleasure of seeing Whit completely fry a small audience with this routine which is a great example of taking a trich that has been around and reworking it into a masterpiece! Whit puts a completely different "spin" on the knives routine, adds perfect misdirection and logic for every move and winds up getting about 10 times the punch as a result. I had been doing the standard "color changing knives" for years before seeing this routine and it just blew me away.
briancherbo
View Profile
New user
The Second Deal
40 Posts

Profile of briancherbo
Whit -

I have meant to sit down and learn the Pop-Knot routine, I have had the manuscript a while.

Have you toyed with the idea of modifying it to make it re-settable? I can't remember enough of the details to know if this would just not be possible without gutting the routine. I am thinking in terms of the Sands or Daryl's routines. For me that is the only thing that reccomends the Sands routine instead of the Pop-Knot.

Also - In the video, a spectator ASKS "Is the pixie dust fresh?" Do you use the reply to this if nobody asks? Just curious!

Brian
MichaelB
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of MichaelB
Allow me to echo the sentiments expressed. I very much enjoyed that clip. I kept thinking well this is the difference between a performer/professional and a hobbyist technician like myself. Very nice performance. Anyone else see a little James Garner Rockford Files in that video? Smile
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Great routine Whit. On my list of top ten rope tricks, yours is number one.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Just another new fan throwing you the kudos Whit. I had never seen one of your acts and I was totally amazed and entertained at the quality and humor of your act. Looks like I'll be making a couple purchases from your store. I'd like to check out your CCK act but from what I've read and seen of your rope act I'll just get the knives,DVD and go with it. Hey..I knows quality when I sees it. I'm a huge fan of quality comedy magic and I'm hoping to add to the mix. I'm spending my "free" time perfecting my skills, patter and delivery in very small venues before gracing the general public with my fine self. Your gift for making thousands of hours of performance, practice and perfection look like another casual night on stage is a huge inspiration. I also use the teaching premise in my performances and I really think it disarms most of the audience.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Thanks guys. Glad you like the routine. I have a lot of fun with it.

BrianCherbo: The Sanders and all the other non-cut rope routines that have come from it have that advantage over the Mongolian Pop Knot.

There is no way to get the same powerful effect of actually cutting the rope many times, showing all the pieces separate, and restoring the entire back to its original condition as in the Mongolian Pop Knot routine, without using up rope. I use a very long rope, about 14 feet, because it plays on the biggest stages.

I have done the rope and rings routine for as many as 8,000 people when opening for Conway Twitty, and it played very well. But it will cost you from $1.50 to $3.00 per show in rope. There is no way around this if you want the more powerful, more convincing, more magical, and more puzzling cut and restored.

There is no way around the cost if you want to do this kind of routine. But gee, I usually have to tip the valet more than that to park my car. There are sometimes expenses that we have to shoulder in order to do the best job. Saving money by lowering the quality of your performance is not a good idea. So I go through $3.00 of rope every show. It is a tiny percentage of what I make for that show, and would be even if I were only getting $100 per show.

I give all of my used rope to Billy McComb, who uses it in a gag presentation of my rope routine, where he never cuts anything cause he forgot his scissors. He just shows what it would have looked like by pulling out ropes from the various stages of the routine and tossing them out to the audience: "Here is what the three ropes would look like after I tied them together..."

You can recycle the rope into other effects, or just toss it. I would never quit doing the routine because of cost, even if the price of magician's rope went through the roof.

If you think in terms of the cheapest way to put on a show, you will be undermining your show from the beginning.

Now I have done the Sanders routine, and I think it is brilliant, and there are many circumstances where I would use it instead of my routine--not because of expense, but practicality.

My routine was developed for the street, but it was a hassle carrying enough rope around and getting rid of the used rope. If I were a street performer today, I would probably use the Sanders rope routine, or one of the variations--just because of the ease of carrying less rope around. It would be the same for a trade show situation.

But for most formal shows, it is more than worth the trouble and expense because the effect is so much more powerful and memorable.
briancherbo
View Profile
New user
The Second Deal
40 Posts

Profile of briancherbo
Whit,

I agree 100 percent as far as the cost of the rope, etc. I was strictly thinking in terms of the "resetability" of the Sanders routine, for table-hopping and such.
Of course the price of the rope is not a factor.

Now, if you want to talk about the cost of KNIVES...<rolling eyes> Smile

Best,
Brian
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
For that kind of use, I would agree with you.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Amazing routine. But come on, what did you expect from the best? It may not seem like much coming from me, and heck it probably isn't, but I think you are one of the top magicians in the world, if not the top. I have seen you live and every one of those demos.

Rope routines seem to have a knack for looking unbelievably unnatural and suspicious. You have certainly broken that barrier and have created a very natural and amazing routine.

Thanks a lot, Whit!
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Thank you, Rmax! Hope everything is good! Happy New Year!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5711 Posts

Profile of Regan
Whit,

I haven't watched the "Mongolian Pop-Knot" clip yet, nor have I seen it performed. However, I am always needing another great rope effect, and I have heard so many good things about yours that I am considering ordering the video.

Can you tell me if the "Mongolian Pop-Knot" routine uses an ungimmicked rope(s)? I need a routine that is easy to set up and repeat.

I am going to try and download the clip tonight and watch it. I hate downloading video clips because it takes so long with my slow dial-up ISP.

Thanks so much!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Regan,

Go back and read the previous page of posts. Whit discusses your questions in full.
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Here is a nice article about Whit Haydn on page 2 in S.A.M. #112 The Conjurer newsletter-
http://www.sam112.com/conjurer/ConjurerJANUARY06.pdf

The article is about magician's web sites and goes on to state that Whit Haydn's site is amongst the best, and I will have to agree. I had a great time viewing all his videos.

Nice job,

Dan
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Regan: The routine uses any ordinary rope, no gaffs. There is no set up, other than placing a knot in your pocket. I like to use a long piece of rope--about 15 feet--so that the routine plays well on the biggest stages. But you can use much less without any difficulties.

Zazz: Thanks so much for calling my attention to Stir's article. I hadn't seen it.

I hope everyone also visits the Scoundrels Forum at http://www.ScoundrelsForum.com

Thanks again to everyone.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5711 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks, Whit.

I am going to try to download the clip tonight.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
I recently saw these video clips, and I am blown away.

Not just by the technique (flawless) or characterization/dialog (hilarious); it is the way Whit connects with his audience, draws them in, leads them down the garden path in a very organic and unhurried fashion -pacing befitting the routine- and ultimately entertains the heck out of them with magic.

How do you bottle that?

Douglas
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Actually, we have bottled it. We will be selling the fabulous elixir--guaranteed to solve both somatic and psychosomatic problems equally well--on a first come, first serve basis at ScoundrelsForum.com Smile

We have also put up a lot of new videos at:

http://www.whithaydn.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=15

There are more than thirty videos available for free--Bob Sheets, Doc Eason, Whit Haydn, Chef Anton, Billy McComb, June Merlin and others.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5711 Posts

Profile of Regan
Save one of those bottles for me, Whit!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Well, I'll be danged. Snake oil that actually works!

That's the best kind. It entertains, balances the humors, and gets rid of blood fever, hysteria, vapors, and mo-go of the go-gogo.

You line 'em up, and I'll knock 'em back.

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Whit Haydn is my new hero... (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL