The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Whit Haydn is my new hero... (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I, too, am a big Whit Haydn fan. His 4 Ring Routine is the favorite routine of my street act. Now I am looking at the trade show shells.
I have seen his performances and attended his lectures. Just one lecture will teach you more about character than you would imagine.
Anyone getting a chance to see him live should do so. He does more than perform magic, he entertains!
Professor J. P. Fawkes
HeyLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, VA (D.C. suburbs)
128 Posts

Profile of HeyLockwood
Quote:
On 2005-12-29 00:22, Magicmaven wrote:
Amazing routine...

Rope routines seem to have a knack for looking unbelievably unnatural and suspicious. You have certainly broken that barrier and have created a very natural and amazing routine.

Thanks a lot, Whit!

I couldn't agree more. I learned The Professor's Nightmare a couple years ago, and (to my dismay) have since forgotten how to do it. I just wasn't interested in doing a "trick" with a rope, which is how I'm sure my audiences would have perceived it; just a "trick." Now that I've seen a masterful performance, one that is logical, and I believe Whit himself described as "properly motivated" (earlier on this topic), I think I might be able to put the deck of cards down for a while and focus on the Mongolian Pop Knot (as well as a torn and restored newspaper routine).
Whit is a true master, and I'm not sure whether I should be discouraged or inspired when I view his performance videos on his website. Well, I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy, so I'll be inspired, for now...Whit is the total package...

Mike
Why doesn't it tickle when I tickle myself, but it still hurts when I stick a fork in my eye?
HeyLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, VA (D.C. suburbs)
128 Posts

Profile of HeyLockwood
Quote:
On 2005-09-21 14:00, MichaelB wrote:
Allow me to echo the sentiments expressed. I very much enjoyed that clip. I kept thinking, "Well, this is the difference between a performer/professional and a hobbyist technician, like myself." Very nice performance. Anyone else see a little James Garner Rockford Files in that video? Smile

I swear I thought the same thing about the subtle James Garner resemblance! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thought that! Smile

Mike
Why doesn't it tickle when I tickle myself, but it still hurts when I stick a fork in my eye?
Josef K
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Josef K
Mr. Haydn, I must join in here! I really love the Mongolian Pop-Knot, and it never fails me! It’s crystal clear and to the point, it’s funny, it has a classic and great premise, and it’s extremely impossible! But I don’t have to tell you that. What I do have to tell you (and everybody else) is that this by far generates the most comments after my show – and the show includes things I feel is fairly strong like McCombical Prediction, Invisible Deck (the Standing Ovation by Bill Malone), and Bill in Lemon. Then again, I may utterly fail with all those tricks. Smile

Josef K
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Whit, I just want to throw my two cents in and say thank you for sharing your performance videos with us. They are VERY entertaining to watch, and I enjoyed the Mongolian Pop Knot routine. I hope to visit your forum soon.

Snidini
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
I have Whit's MPK manuscript, and I also have Fulves' Rope book.

I can tie the pop-off knot, but I can't make it look like I'm merely tying two ends together. It's pretty obvious I'm doing something rather more complex.

The series of still pics in the manuscript hasn't helped a bit. Neither has watching the performance clip. I know the stills were shot "open for clarity," but I can't figure out what happens between the various shots.

During phase two (Prof N'mare), my first tying sequence looks nothing like the second. Is there any source that shows the pop-off knot step-by-step? Or, is there anyone who does it well and has a way with words who might describe it in detail?
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The knot is explained in detail on the VHS video of the Mongolian Pop Knot. We are planning to put out a DVD of the video in the future.

It really isn't that hard a thing to tie. You just tie an overhand knot with the short piece around the loop of the longer piece of rope.

If you sit with a piece of rope and play for a while, you should be able to work it out.
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Whit,
I've got to tell you, I really enjoy your Mongolian Pop Knot routine and enjoy watching it over and over. Questions - did the rope routine Insomnia come out of your routine? What kind of rope do you recommend when performing? When will the DVD be out?
Thanks.......
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I use fancy white magician's rope on a big stage or on TV. Otherwise, I use ordinary magician's rope. Don't know when the DVD on the Mongolian Pop-Knot will be out.

I don't know the routine "Insomnia."

My routine is based on a routine taught to me by Ed Mishell. The display move to show the rope restored at the end, the patter that brings the different sections of the routine together, and the tossing out of the knots are the original parts of the routine.

I have been doing that routine since 1968.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think Insomnia is a routine that Bob Sheets raved about in his lecture I attended.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Insomnia is actually a Timothy Wenk routine. Bob Sheets performs it on his Rope Through Body video.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Quote:
On 2006-07-12 14:33, Whit Haydn wrote:
If you sit with a piece of rope and play for a while, you should be able to work it out.

Yeah, I think I was trying too hard to make the action fit the patter. That's probably not only impossible, but unnecessary (running without being chased...). About the time you get to "at the same time as," they figure out that what you SAY you are doing is nonsense.

It's already looking better, although at no point does my version look like Fig 15 of the manuscript!. But, then, I'm guessing none of my audience will have ever seen Fig 15...

Thanks for your response.
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
For those who may be interested, Mr Haydn is a featured Performer at the Midwest Magic Jubilee in St Louis, Missouri. Personally, I can't wait to get the chance to see the act and hopefully meet the man. Hope to see you all there!
Tony
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I am looking forward to St. Louis as well. Hope to see a lot of you guys there. BTW, check out my website: http://www.whithaydn.com

I have put up a rash of new photos on the main and "More Photos" pages.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2006-07-13 11:15, Whit Haydn wrote:
I use fancy white magician's rope on a big stage or on TV. Otherwise, I use ordinary magician's rope. Don't know when the DVD on the Mongolian Pop-Knot will be out.

Please hurry with that DVD release.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Will get to it by and by.
mailcold
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of mailcold
Mr. Whit, for me, you are living legend in magic.
Your presentation style appeals to audience.
May I know if there are any plans to have a DVD of the following released any time soon ?

The Mongolian Pop-Knot and Comedy Four Ring Routine

Thanks
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The Four Ring Routine is available on DVD. The Mongolian Pop Knot is now available only on VHS or in a booklet.

All my books, routines, and videos are available at http://www.scoundrelsstore.com
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Whit,

I am a big fan of yours, too. I was just wondering where you place the rope routine and ring routine in your shows?

Thanks,

Simon
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Sucker Silk to Egg, Mongolian Pop-Knot, Linking Rings, Gene Anderson Tear--30 minute show. If I add, following the rings, the Teleportation Device and Killer Epic, it is an hour show.

I would not advise opening with the sucker egg, though. One should not open with a sucker trick, generally. The sucker silk to egg is long on disappoint for the audience, and the recovery and surprise comes late. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, you will lose the crowd before the egg is cracked.

I use it as an opening because it establishes the "teaching" theme of the act, and reveals the character in several stages--the audience is not quite sure whether they are going to like this until the egg is broken. Up to that minute, they are wondering if the performer is going to be any good. That is a long time to hold them in "suspense." You have to both hold the audience and keep them from making a decision against you until the moment the egg is cracked. It takes a lot of experience and acting ability to make that work, so I really don't recommend it to most performers.

You really need to know why you are breaking a rule, and how you are going to avoid the possible bad effects before you try it.

Generally, the sucker effect should be second or third in a program.

Although I do all "teaching" themed magic, the Silk to Egg is the only sucker effect I do--you have to be careful with them. They can make the audience feel beat up really quick.

I think Gene Anderson's newspaper tear is one of the greatest closing effects available.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Whit Haydn is my new hero... (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL