The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ridde of the Ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Max Milagro
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Max Milagro
I ran into this fine routine while reading through some (very) old Pentagram issues.
The effect is as follows: you need 4 children and 1 ring (there's always a mum around). The ring is placed in the folds of a handkerchief and given to child A. Child B is given an empty matchbox, child C is given a paper cone in which is dropped a silk ribbon after which the top of the cone is folded over. Child D is handed a small toy pistol. All children are lined up. The magician takes a tumbler and covers it with a handkerchief. He then tells the audience what he'll try to do: child D presses the trigger, the shot will cause the ribbon to fly into the empty matchbox and the ring to fly into the glass under the handkerchief. The child holding the handkerchief with the ring is told to let go when she hears the shot.
So 1 2 3 shoot, the ring vanishes, the glass vanishes, and when the cone is opened the ribbon has vanished too. However the matchbox is still empty. After some byplay a small parcel is removed from the table tied with a ribbon. Child A (who 'lost' the ring) is asked to undo the ribbon (nested boxes). Finally the contents are revealed; a glass containing a few flowers. Tied round the flowers is the missing ribbon whilst tied on to this is the missing ring. All can then be handed over to the lender.

I assume everyone can figure out how the trick works. I've been doing a ring routine for adults for years but have applied this trick in my pirate act. The act is build around how to become a fine pirate. For instance one should be able to handle the ropes of the ship which builds nicely into my rope routine. The above routine was being announced as how being proficient with a gun. I first shot a hole through a coin and went into the routine. It played very very well.

With some imagination the dissapearing of the objects can be done through other methods. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Max
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
Sounds interesting. I do something a wee bit similar:

I borrow a ring. Place the ring in a small box. Give the box to a spectator. Then I borrow a coin, mark the coin with someone's intials and place it in my hand. I then suggest that the coin & the ring will switch places. I count to 3 (with some byplay), and when I open my hand, something has gone wrong- the coin is gone and there is no ring. They open the box and there is a KEY in the box- but no ring or coin. I produce the Nest of Boxes and inside the last locked box, (remember the key they found), is the marked coin and borrowed ring.

So, you might add in a marked coin to your routine as well?
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I think being able to mark something (whether playing card or copin etc) really adds more power and impact to an effect of soemthing vanishing or being borrowed. Even if there really is no switch at all, just the fact that the audience member knows for sure it is THEIR signature or mark on the object sells the effect much better and gives it more impact.

If a ring is used, you could borrow one that has an inscription on the inside. Or you could tie a price tag to it which then could be signed. Their are ways to incorporate the marking of an object without really dmaging the object at all. Just use your imagination.

I do think smoke has a nice idea though. I think he probably gets a much stronger reaction because the coin is signed. It could be tested, but I think you would find stronger reactions when it is signed as opposed to when it is not.

Smoke: Do you do this routine for children? If so, how do you change your routine around to make it fun for them? Just curious as to your creativity with the routine. Thanks.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
Kyle, I didn't think it would play for the kid's shows, but I tried it once and it was such a hit that I kept it in.

The only difference is that I borrow one of the kid's LIVE STRONG bands, hard to find a kid with rings on anymore! I make sure it is an odd colored band, not the regular yellow. Then I get their initials on a coin. The difference with the kid's show is I bring out the nest of boxes before the magic happens and call it a "present" for the volunteer. It sits on top my table.

Now I suggest that their signed coin (in a box) and their LIVE STRONG band (in my hand) will switch places when they say a magic word. And if it works, they can have whats in the present...but they must make up a magic word never heard by human ears before..."Hey! I feel something happening in my hand!"...open hand and nothing is in there...open box & there is a key- but no coin..."Oh well, you deserve the present anyway for making things vanish!"...they open the last box and find their coin & band...

It plays well for around ages 8+, I think. They can follow the events clearly and give the appropriate "whoa's!" when the box is opened.

Thanks for asking about it.

Smoke & Mirrors (Aaron)
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Aaron:

That sounds really great. Thanks for sharing that with us. It looks like you changed it really well and suited for the older kids you perform for. Nicely done.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ridde of the Ring (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL