The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can we stop killing each other? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-09-09 12:54, mike paris wrote:
Guns NOW are a necessity for protection. I just think that when they are in the house or car they should be in a SECURE place ,not just left in a drawer where they could be stolen.

Are you allowed to protect yourself from armed SWAT teams who raid your house (by mistake)?

On a more serious note, the question of how find and use acceptable personal protection in our society is non-trivial.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Exactly. And even supporters of responsible gun ownership - like myself - grapple with that question. To date, no gun owner has ever given me a satisfactory response to this inquiry: "How do you make a gun accessible in an emergency but safe from little prying hands otherwise?"
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
A key.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2005-09-09 09:59, Vandy Grift wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-09-09 02:44, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:

Can someone tell me WHY Australia has a low murder rate (by gun or other method) and America has a high murder rate?

Why don't you tell us Nicholas? I'm sure you have some theories. Come on, lets hear them. How about because Australians are so smart and civilized and some much more respecting of life than the savage Americans? Maybe Americans are too stupid and not nearly as cultured as Australians. Is that what you'd like to say? Then say it. You've posted some statistics and asked the question WHY?? oh WHY?? You're the one with the statistics, which you hold up as some sort of proof of something. Statistics that you give a lot of weight to. Why don't you enlighten us with some answers?

Vandy

That is up there with "I know you are but what am I" as a response.

I don't KNOW why. If I knew, I would have said.
Bursky
View Profile
New user
West Hollywood, Ca.
78 Posts

Profile of Bursky
Steve Dela,

Not so many people would die in war if there were no guns? In one Roman army battle over 50,000 people died. That's just one day of fighting.
Bursky
View Profile
New user
West Hollywood, Ca.
78 Posts

Profile of Bursky
Nick J.,
There are less than 25 million people in Australia.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-09-08 14:26, irossall wrote:
Mandrake01 wrote:
Quote:
"I'm personally against "trophy" hunters (if you're going to shoot it, you *** well better pack it out and eat it!) and stupid hunters like the guy in Maine who fired at a flash of white and ended up killing a young woman who was hanging out her laundry. (To be fair, she should have been wearing bright orange, but she was new to the area and didn't realize the depths of stupidity some people can reach)"

I agree with the trophy hunter sentiment and I can tell you that most of the hunters that I know (and I know many) eat their trophy as well as display it.

I disagree with the statement that the woman should have been wearing orange.
She was in her own yard and new to the area or not she should not be dictated to by others as to what clothing she should be wearing.
When I visit the city should I not wear a red shirt because some dingbat gang banger will think that I am a "blood" and want to shoot me? I don't think so. Homey don't play that.
Accident or not the "hunter" should have served some serious time for what he did which gets back to my previous post. The lack of serious punishment for many who kill or hurt others is the main problem here. It's just that simple.
Iven Smile

Yeah, I'm with you on that. However, while I don't think it's a law or anything, the city of Bangor has always made public statements that people should wear bright orange when outdoors during hunting season. As one critic put it; "Wear bright orange... *bang*or you're dead!"
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-09-09 08:18, inidyls wrote:
In India there was a man who stopped a home invasion with a CANON! Therefore, we should all have canons to protect ourselves!

To me the man in India did the right thing , he still stopped the home invasion!
He also made a good statement, invade my house you'll get a cannonball up your ***

I don't know where, but a guy stopped a home invasion by firing through his door and killing the guy knocking. Of course, it turned out he was lost and looking for instructions, but there'd been home invasions in this area so the man in the home was perfectly justified in killing the wrong person, wasn't he?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-09-09 11:12, Leland Stone wrote:
What? Australians more civilized than Yanks? Aren't they the ones who used to post bounties on the heads of aboriginals, said bounties being collected by persons whose weapons of choice were usually...guns?

"Rule Two: No one shall molest the aboes in any way whatsoever... (small voice) if anybody's watching!"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-09-09 18:27, mike paris wrote:
A key.

Yes, because keys never slip or jam or break in an emergency.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-09-10 00:54, mandrake01 wrote:
Quote:
A key.

And locks only keep out honest people.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
One way to keep kids from wanting to play with guns is proper training when they are the right age. Teach them what a gun can do and let them shoot and they will have respect for the gun.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2005-09-03 18:23, Partizan wrote:
The right to bear arms is essential and not to be dealt with lightly.

In the US, the predicate to the right to bear arms (Amendment II to our Constitution) is "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state . . .". People forget this. The right to bear arms was not intended to exist outside a well-regulated militia.

Quote:
On 2005-09-03 18:23, Partizan wrote:
Bad parents are the sum of a bad country . . . .

I'm not sure what this was intended to mean, but I'm quite sure that it's not true.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2005-09-03 15:47, Cliffg37 wrote:
I found out yesterday that one of my students had his brother shot dead in a drive by shooting.

It took me a moment to realize that you meant merely that the brother of one of your students had been killed. On the first reading, ". . . one of my students had his brother shot dead . . . ." sounded like a murder-for-hire.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2005-09-10 00:54, mandrake01 wrote:
Quote:
A key.

Or get lost.

And the bad guy will certainly wait the extra few moments whilst you find the other key and open the other cabinet to retrieve the ammunition (responsible gun owners never store the weapon loaded, nor the weapon and the ammo in the same location, right?) and load your gun. Bad guys are accommodating that way. I'm told.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
[quote]On 2005-09-10 01:53, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
In the US, the predicate to the right to bear arms (Amendment II to our Constitution) is "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state . . .". People forget this. The right to bear arms was not intended to exist outside a well-regulated militia.
Actually, the issue of what the Founders intended by the language of the 2nd Amendment is far from being as one-sided as your post would suggest. I recommend this article by libertarian legal scholar Randy Barnett, which examines the "conditional" argument and counters it: http://www.randybarnett.com/pdf/righttob......onal.pdf
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2005-09-09 21:46, Bursky wrote:
Nick J.,
There are less than 25 million people in Australia.

The stats reflect that. They are based on per 100,000 people. Smile

Posted: Sep 10, 2005 5:03am
Quote:

On 2005-09-09 11:12, Leland Stone wrote:
What? Australians more civilized than Yanks? Aren't they the ones who used to post bounties on the heads of aboriginals, said bounties being collected by persons whose weapons of choice were usually...guns?

Indeed...in fact, Australia only gave aboriginals the vote in 1967 and during the 1950s children were taken from their parents in order to "breed out" aboriginal characteristics.

If you are interested in more information on the mistreatment of the Aboriginal people in Australia please PM for more.

For the record, I NEVER called Australia more civilised or more intelligent then America. I merely pointed out that we currently have far less violent crime per head of capita and we also have strict anti gun legislation. In fact, in a many states you can not carry a KNIFE without a reason! (stabbing people doesn't count).

We had a case in 1996 a man killed 35 people with a semi automatic rifle. After that, the laws were made even tighter. http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial/bryant/ has more info.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:

That is up there with "I know you are but what am I" as a response.

I don't KNOW why. If I knew, I would have said.

Oh but Nicholas, you must have some theories. Lets hear them. You are aware of the statistics, this is something you have obviously given much thought. So tell us what YOU think. You posed the question, certainly you have some thoughts on the matter.

The very fact that you are so very concerned about the state of crime and gun use in America suggests more than just a passing interest, so I am truly interested in your thoughts on the matter. If you are afraid that you are going to offend a large portion of Americans on this site...Or are afraid that your thoughts might even be deleted because they might come out "the wrong way" fear not. I'm sure everyone who cares about theses things would like to hear your unvarnished ideas about this very important issue.

You jumped into this fray with two post before I responded to you. The first was posting with some crime statistics comparing Australia to the United States. The second post was the question "Can someone tell me WHY Australia has a low murder rate (by gun or other method) and America has a high murder rate?"

Now don't tell me you don't have something you'd like to say.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2005-09-10 02:39, Paul Sherman wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-09-10 01:53, S2000magician wrote:
Actually, the issue of what the Founders intended by the language of the 2nd Amendment is far from being as one-sided as your post would suggest.

True enough. I was simply countering the idea that it is a one-sided in the other direction as others suggest.

The article is interesting, by the way.
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
S2000magician,
"The right of the people..."
Does that only apply to the protection of the state as it appears elsewhere in the Constitution or is it just in amendment 2?
Just a thought,
Sammy the Kid
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Can we stop killing each other? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL