The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » New Hades Finger Chopper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
351 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Wondered if anyone had brought one of these recently. I brought one several years ago, and found that the blade was so stiff it would hardly move. In fact if I'd used it in that condition it would definitely have caused an injury. I didn't expect to have to start working on the thing to try and loosen the blade. Are these "new" ones any different ? Also the one I have is a very light colour - I suspect it will start looking dirty once its been handled a few times. Again are the new ones this same pale brown colour ? Incidentially I would sell my grandmother (and maybe other members of my family) to get hold of a Mafia Manicure (a high quality version of the Hade's) that was marketed with Giovanni's routine a number of years ago. Anyone know if this is still available ?
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
The "Mafia Manicure" version of this isn't available anymore, but about once every 10 years, (if you're lucky) you can find one on ebay or another used magic site. I have one, and wouldn't part with it. There's only 1 drawback that isn't a problem with my Hades chopper (not a new one)...the blade shows a certain spot where it s%&^&!$...it's more of a display piece for me, so it doesn't really matter. Depending upon of course how hard of a worker your grandmother is! Have an attractive sister?

Steve Thomas
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1013 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
I agree Steve, Ive had my Mafia Manicure tucked away
for a few years now.Last time they came out there
was only 250 of them made.
I got a normal hades to use in the show.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Let me know how much you get for your Grandmother and maybe you can have one. I have one, pristine mint, with instructions and complete. If it doesn't sell before, it will eventually get on eBay where my stuff usually does very well. If you want it, let me know the real dollar value of your grandmother. She may not be enough. Thanks.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
I recently acquired a Mafia Manicure on ebay, supposedly mint, but the apparatus looks "aged" with "imperfections" noted in many places. Were these finger choppers sold in this manner to give them an antique look to fit the storyline?
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
351 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
OK I guess I'll have to rule out the Mafia Manicure. But I'm still interested in anyone that has one of the new "Improved" Hade's choppers.
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
George,

I don't know exactly what you mean "aged" and "imperfections". Got mine brand new, and the only thing aged about it was the color of the stain used on the wood. No dents, dings, chips or parts bent or broken. Can you email a pic of the imperfections to me?

Steve Thomas
stevethomasmagic@aol.com
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I paid a pretty good price for an orginal MH chopper a few years ago. I use it all the time and love it. I'm pretty sure the new release would be the same design. If that's the case, get one.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
The Micky Hades Improved Finger Chopper is back on the market baby and I got me one a few weeks ago.

The quality is top notch and is exactly the same as when these were on the market years ago.

Here's the best part.... I actually made a dude pee himself once while doing this little jem to him, his girlfriend broke up with him as she was there watching him wimp out...hehehehe....this was years ago though and I would never think of inflicting this kinda abuse on any one, anymore, ever...I promise...

*Crosses Finger*...hehehehehehe

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
As far as finger choppers are concerned, the one to really beat now is the new Ultimate Finger Chopper from Chance Wolf. It makes my Mafia Manicure look like a piece of junk! I will have to get rid of that one for sure.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Don't know about the Mafia Manicure, however the best part about the hades finger chopper is...it can be examined before and after...and it looks like a simple prop made of wood.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I've been readiing this forum for quite a long time, but this will be my first post I believe!

I had to come out of the wood work in support of the Mafia Manicure which in my opinion and for my usage is far, far superior to the new Ultimate Finger Chopper. the Mafia Manicure is in essence the same item as the Hades Finger Chopper (though perhaps a bit more attractive).

the Ultimate Finger Chopper is a VERY well made piece, a great display item and works reasonably well. However it is angly, very magic proppy looking and requires some work that in my opinion can get in the way of the presentation. All of this for the mildly amusing finger drop aspect of the effect.

The Mafia Manicure on the other hand is so simple in it's appearance and can withstand the most intense of examinations before and after the effect that it is believable that it is something other than a gimmicked prop. It looks and feels like a simple, hand made cigar chopper. I always do it with a spectators finger (something I would never do with the Ultimate Chopper) and the reaction is amazing. They can both feel and see the blade resting on their finger a split second before it passes through the finger. Then the blade is below the finger and the blade cannot be removed until the spectator removes his finger allowing the blade to pass back up through the hole. It is amazingly powerful for this type of effect. The Ultimate Finger Chopper gets more of a "Yea, some magic thing" type of effect.

I admire the Ultimate Finger Chopper for it's precision made quality but it is in fact the rustic simplicity and FAR superior workability of the Mafia Manicure that makes it king of the hill, hands down, in my book.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Well, it's basically 2 different effects. One is more of a bit with a high-quality piece of apparatus, and the other does (Mafia Manicure) look very simplistic in function. My only problem is people who (don't take this personally) say the MM looks hand made, antique and rustic. Well, aside from the LAZER ENGRAVING on the base, it does. That makes the storyline that is included pretty difficult to believe, even when it's just being used as what it is, a story. I've had people ask about the engraving...it's not anywhere similar to being considered rustic or hand-made. Otherwise, it's truly a beautiful piece of work, far superior to the Hades Chopper...BUT...I don't think either could compare (in the eyes of the spectator) to actually chopping ones finger off with that fine piece of Wolf's Magic..the Ultimate Finger Chopper.

Steve
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Laser etching?!?

Mine has no such etching. Are you talking about on the actual separate base unit? I do not use that piece and in fact have kept it in the original box since purchase many years ago so I do not recall if it had etching. The actual chopper does NOT have any etching (on mine at least). it is simply a basic wood chopper, absolutely as innocent as can be.

The Wolf chopper is a very well made piece and I love that, but it is just way to proppy and magic apparatus looking to even be in the same league as the mafia manicure in my opinion. This is probably getting into a simple personal preference area. I prefer magic props that do not look like magic props. I am not a professional though I have performed for 25 years or more. To me things that scream "I am a magic trick" are tough to use. They have a certain cheese factor that does not fit in with my presentations or mentality. This is why I love the Mafia Manicure. Others may prefer the more decorative nature of the Ultimate Chopper.

I like them both, I think they are both well made and worthy of purchase. It's just that the reaction the MM delivers is (for me) much, much greater than that of the UC... but choice is what makes the world go around I guess.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
The Mafia Manicure base has the words, "Acme Cigar Cutter" lazer engraved on one side. The chopper itself has no engraving. The base is what makes it a "deluxe model desk cigar cutter". Beautiful prop and the staining makes it a wonderful display piece on the chopper shelf of my display case.

Steve
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Teevtee,
I always respect others opinions and will continue in your case. My problem with ALL Finger Choppers, besides the UF Grant method which I use, is that from the instant you pull the prop out the spectator would assume and hope to see the finger actually get CHOPPED. After all, that is what a Finger Chopper is supposed to DO by it's nature. All the current models are a Penetration effect which, in a sense, brings the ultimate effect down a few notches in dramatics and expectations. I am one to believe that nothing can be more shocking than actually SEEING THE FINGER FALL OFF and we can all thank UF Grant for that brilliant method.
Regarding performing it on a spectator, please do not think it is not possible and/or dangerous as long as you pay attention to the gimmick set up not to mention the French Arm Chopper has been done on spectators for decades. I just prefer to perform it on myself so I can control the attention of the exact moment the effect happens.
I have not seen the Mafia Manicure so I cannot comment on it's effect in any way.
Regarding props looking "proppy", I think a good/great routine is the main focus more than the prop. If you deliver the goods and entertain, they could care less what you are using.
Just my goofy opinion.
Glad you like my quality and design either way and no offense has been taken by any of your comments Smile
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Hi Chance...

I certainly have meant no offense so I am glad none was taken. Your prop is extremely well made and though I have not personally seen your paddles they certainly look incredibly well crafted as well. Different people work in different ways and require different styles of props.

The more I have thought about this the more I am convinced that your Ultimate chopper and the Mafia manicure (or the similar hades Chopper) are in fact two totally different effects. While they are certainly similar your Ultimate Chopper effect produces a very different reaction than the Mafia manicure. I guess it really depends on which effect you prefer and what style of performing you do.

As I have mentioned I am not a pro. I tend to perform at parties, to clients and friends. I perform in very casual settings mostly in my own or in friends homes. For me to use a prop that looks very magic prop like it would come off as a bit silly. I can easily see how others who perform in more formal settings would garner a great reaction with your device. regardless I greatly appreciate the quality and care you put into your apparatus because we need MUCH more of that. In fact perhaps you will one day consider making a chopper which is even smaller and more casual than the one you currently produce. Perhaps a chopper for those who prefer simple props.

Regardless I feel that both Mafia Manicure and Ultimate Chopper are wonderfully made items which represent the pinnacle of the two effects.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Owning both the Mafia Manicure and the Ultimate Chopper, I can judge each one and, though I respect everyone's opinion and taste, I have replied to an offer to sell my Mafia Manicure. It pales next to Chance's chopper, so it's history.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Addendum..my Mafia Manicure sold for $120.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » New Hades Finger Chopper (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL