The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Recent shows...no process... a degree of responsibility? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shadowrunner
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Shadowrunner
The inspiration for this posting will appear obvious to all but it is grounded in my obversations of two recent performance in london.

I recently went to see two high profile mentalists perform in London - both funny and professional. However, neither of them put much effort into appearing to 'mind read', I mean the process of looking like you are actually recieving thoughts.

Instead, both of them presented the solution to the routine with a 'if you look at the card you will see..'. Everyone in the audience gasped and clapped at the time BUT as with all shows in London the real feelings of the audience come out on the tube ride home some time later - I counted 5 different couples each time disecting the show and coming up with mechanical solutions to the routines, some wrong some right. And as a result little of the secrets (and wonder) gets revealed..

I wonder if it would have have been better to present this effects showing the auidence the 'process' NOT becuase that is the appropriate presentational style but because it goes a little way to preserving the mystery of mentalism.

I'm sure most styles of performance - comedy, psychic whatever - should include this process as a way of avoiding the 'unravel the mechancial process on the tube' conversations that happened after the show.

Anyone have any views?
MIC
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of MIC
Who were these two performers? I thik you could say... if you told us maybe we could chime in...
mic
MagoStevo
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of MagoStevo
Marc Salem?
Never ever have bad thought,you never know who is listening....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Recent shows...no process... a degree of responsibility? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL