The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Buy Cups While you still can?!?! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
I'm trying to decide how much urgency there is to buy a range of different sized cups and associated equipment as I am becoming more serious about cups and balls. Bill Palmer has stated on multiple occassions that the Sherwood cups are all around the best, so I puchased a set of Sherwoods (non-engraved) copper cups. I'm looking forward to these. I already have a set of the Johnson cups, but didn't want to wait for fear the Sherwoods might not be available if I wait. The Jim Riser jumbo cups and micro chop-cups look great, but are no longer available. There seems to be an open question about availabilty of the Gary Animal cups. The great cups of the past are worth a fortune if you can even find them. How long will Gazzo be selling his cups and pouch? Do you jump while these things are available (and before you feel ready to use them) or do you wait and figure that if they are not available in the future, something else will come along?

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Jump if you want them. The number of people who can make such things is not growing. Unless there is another great cups period, which may not be for thirty years, this is the end of the boom. Get 'em while you can.
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2005-09-04 16:06, flimnar wrote:
How long will Gazzo be selling his cups and pouch? Do you jump while these things are available (and before you feel ready to use them) or do you wait and figure that if they are not available in the future, something else will come along?

Take the opportunity to get them.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
Thanks for the advice--obviously you didn't have to twist my arm too hard. I pulled the trigger on the Gazzo cups/pouch as well as some Riser mini-cups (if they are actually still available). Now it is time to bring my skill level up to the level of my equipment....practice....practice....practice.....

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
Ragiv
View Profile
New user
Prince George, BC
95 Posts

Profile of Ragiv
I wish I could just pull the trigger and order those cups :-/
Jodie - SOCTV
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
The cup season is going out, I caught the last Copper Bazar de Magia at Adessoverlag I noticed many other places are selling out as well, Its going to be like medival times, there will be few expensive cups and tons of crappy cups no middle class. hang on tight , its going to be a bumpy ride!
Tarbell!
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
294 Posts

Profile of geemack
There are specialized skills and techniques involved in making most cups, especially the ones that are spun rather than machined. The craftsmen who make these cups are probably on the decrease. The techniques are common, so common you can go to any department store and find inexpensive pots and pans and metal bowls made by the metal spinning method. But...

Supply and demand are a big part of the issue. Unless there are X number of people who might want to buy these pans, bowls, magicians' cups, the makers won't make them. Due to an abundance of high quality cups being available over the past few years, most people who want some have probably already bought some. It's likely the demand will wane, and they'll become less commonly available over the next several years.

On the other hand, CNC machining is a very popular and well refined production method. And once the original setups are created for something like the Johnson Cups, the manufacture of additional sets becomes (relatively) inexpensive. It doesn't require a commitment to dozens or hundreds of sets for it to be practical to continue making new ones. Although supply and demand also guide this part of the market, it's probably not as subject to the possibility of these cups becoming "extinct".

It is probably good advice to "buy them while you can." The wide variety of excellent cups we have available right now will probably decrease, but there will also most likely be at least some good choices available in very high quality cups for a long time to come.

Greg
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
But even still, everywhere I look I see quality C&B...perhaps the ones that make it known that they are limited in quanity this red flag applies to...but many other C&B exist that are generally made in good quality and quanity for this matter...

...so, no worries...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-09-04 18:34, Mad Duck wrote:
The cup season is going out, I caught the last Copper Bazar de Magia at Adessoverlag I noticed many other places are selling out as well, Its going to be like medival times, there will be few expensive cups and tons of crappy cups no middle class. hang on tight , its going to be a bumpy ride!

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

I'm not selling out Bazar di Magia and Uday cups because they are getting unpopular. I'm selling them because they are TOO popular. Anyone who has a connection to Murphy's can get these cups wholesale. There is no reason for me to carry them. I can't compete with the Ebay dealers.

The best cup makers will still make cups.

Don't panic the people, please.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
So how many thousands of years has this trick been around? Sounds like Chicken Little's singing a new tune. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Cause a panic and, suddenly, we'll being paying the price of tulip bulbs and Beanie Baby instead of the value real craftsmen and artisans.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
It seems to me that the number of people making cups is still increasing - and no sign of stopping. The expansion appears to be greater at the middle & upper end of the market rather than at the lower end - but that's no bad thing because the quality of cups available now is probably better than ever before.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have had many discussions with various cup makers over the last couple of years concerning the market and how it fluctuates.

The savvy cup manyfacturers know roughly how many cup collectors there are, and they make their runs of collectors cups in a quantity that will reach those people and maybe a few others.

There are also manufacturers who make cups that are geared specifically towards the working performer. These makers have a rough idea of how many "workers" there are. They make enough cups for the "workers" and some extra ones for the collectors.

Then there are the people who make beginners cups. These actually have a wide range of quality, from simple, but functional to professional quality.

There are also people who manufacture cups for a specific market, but they may overestimate the size of that market. They may wind up with a warehouse full of cups of whatever quality they had envisioned if they overestimate the number of cups they will sell.

I'd rather collect than manufacture.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Sleightly_Done
View Profile
New user
Orange Park, Florida
76 Posts

Profile of Sleightly_Done
Quote:
On 2005-09-04 16:06, flimnar wrote:
clip... Bill Palmer has stated on multiple occassions that the Sherwood cups are all around the best, so I puchased a set of Sherwoods (non-engraved) copper cups.....

This is my first post, but I couldn't pass this one up. I've been using the Magic Café' to research purchases before making them. Last week I received my Copper Sherwood cups. You WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED! I also ordered Brett's manipulation balls and matching final load balls (contrary to others that like odd final loads) as well. The matching balls were just too good to pass on.

The manipulation balls make a HUGE difference in handling... I think in a very positive way. I'm surprise no one has commented on that much. The heavier weight makes it very simple to do a nice wand spin vanish, and the ball handling overall is much improved. Don't overlook these beauties! And the final loads simply look too big for them to possibly fit the cups... but that is the cup design, not the final load design. Thanks to Bill and others for praising these fine examples of craftsmanship.

Also, in one of Brett's follow up emails, he told me he will be announcing matching wands in a couple of months. You will be glad you purchased these.... and you won't believe the care in his packaging, and his follow up.

Enjoy!
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Hmm. That last post came out the wrong way. Better be quiet now.
Tarbell!
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Upon closer examination, I have found that, indeed, many shops ARE out of stock. the range is from the limited editions to the norms...

...so why the (apparently) sudden waning of cup availability?

Im not saying that all were out of stock, but seriously it was quite a few...take a look yourself...
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Still on the hunt for some copper combo at a reasonable price...im tellin ya, cups are seriously out at a lot of places...

anyone got a good connection? (scratches neck, looks around)

Master palmer, whats happening, if its not a shortage? Perhaps you singlehandedly created a new wave of cup lovers...you living legend you!

I need a good set to go with the Bill Palmer magic wand!! Smile

who ever dreamed that I, a die hard bizarrist would fall in love with the oldest miracle in the world? now that's BIZARRE! LOL
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Sometimes the supplies coming in from overseas are limited. Most of the cups you buy now are made in Argentina, India or China.

The supply fluctuates.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Have you tried David Malek at Earth's Largest Magic Shop?
http://www.elmagicshop.com

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
These are aluminum, not copper, but for the money, this Bazar De Magia combo set is pretty nice. See http://themagicwarehouse.com/closeup4.html#lo1216

And as far as I know, they're in stock, too. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Buy Cups While you still can?!?! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL