The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A 48 hour trip to help out in Southern Mississippi (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Saturday, my 34 year old son called me and said, we are taking a load of needed items to Mississippi today, Can you help us out. Through a Continental Airlines employee he had got a variety of information about where the need was greatest, (in truth Jackson and south to Gulf Port was the answer) Like a lot of others, he had called the Red Cross, who said stay home, but send money. He called FEMA who said, "we don't need your help". He couldn't believe that with what we were seeing on TV, and what we were being told by the Red Cross, and FEMA could both be true.

He said, I have about fifteen hundred dollars worth of the needed items. I said, what else can you use? And I filled up my Saab convertible with another $500 worth to overflowing with items that he had been unable to find, and more water. And when I took them over to his place and saw the pile he had accumulated, it was clear that the vehicle that was planned to go, was not big enough for everything, so I said, we will take my car too, and he said NO! I have a little more money, so we will rent a bigger vehicle and take everything in one vehicle. We finished loading everything up into the rented van at about 7:30 PM Saturday, and 4 of us (to share the driving chores) the continental airlines employee, a coworker of my sons, my son, and I took off for Jackson, intending to go as far south as we could. To get the items distributed to the point of greatest need. We ran into Gas lines, and gas shortages trying to keep the van as full of gas as possible, to go as far south as we could, and be able to get back out. we got gas in Jackson after a 20 min wait in line, and that was exciting as we passed stations with mile + long lines as we pushed south to Jackson. And filled up again an hour south at a station with a 40 minute wait. (Still not as bad as a lot of places) At around 6:30 PM Sunday, we found ourselves in Wiggins in Stone County on our way to Gulf Port, and talked to some locals, who said, don't go to Gulf Port as it is getting crazy, and trucks are being hijacked or robbed at gun point. So we asked a Sheriff's deputy where we could leave our supplies. He directed us to the fair grounds, where the Sheriff was with a convict crew, a variety of Army reservists, and a group of volunteers, from Mobile, Al, and Floria were unloading Semi trailers, and other trucks and trailers of private donations from the mobile area and southern Florida.

We were told that baby food, diapers, snacks, fruit bars, granola bars, flashlights with batteries, medical supplies, toothbrushes, and toothpaste, and a variety of other items were definitely needed. And a truck would be there in a few minutes to take them. The Sheriff was sending his deputies that were not assigned elsewhere to deliver needed items to families and elderly that they knew needed things and had to be a lot as the devastation was apparent but they had done a great joy of opening roads by the time we were there. We only saw one road that was blocked by fallen trees and that was a side road.

But in spite of some buildings being totally destroyed, and some missing roofs, and some being totally untouched, Highway signs were forgotten snapped off and simply folded down, so that after you passed them, you could read them upside down. A Big old McDonald's "M" sign (30-40 feet off the ground) had been twisted to look a lot like an N. (It was just an odd thing to see such a common place thing so changed. But I guess that is easily a metaphor for life in the stricken area, changed!) And we were still more than 30 miles (give or take) from the Gulf. The McDonald's in Wiggin was open - it had a generator, but was closed when we got there since it was after the 6:00 PM curfew. It was estimated that only about 10-15% of the properties - mostly northern areas of the country had electricity and we saw no lights except for the McDonald's, which shortly after was turned off.

We helped pack skids in the trailers, so the items could be fork lifted out and into the storage area. The truck that needed our items came in, and we were told it was from a neighboring county relief center that couldn't feed it's police, fire aid works, or the many folks who were staying there. It seems that two days a go they got a load of food, and they asked to also get some diapers, and more water. So that day, they got a load of only diapers and water and no food. We off loaded from our Van and filled the back of the truck and they just kept saying OH Man! We needed this, and that, and that, as they took what was of most immediate need.

We then off loaded the rest into a relief shelter, and gave the guy running things some additional money to get some things he told us he had located but couldn't get because of money. His wife and two sons had been there for 4 days after they brought their semi-load in, doing the managing and logistics and the Sheriff provided the labor and they added their efforts to it. The reservists did a nice job of trying to help coordinate and handle security. But that day, it was clear, that this couple, a nearly retired couple from Florida that had been unloading what they brought, and everything else they could do to help were the ones really making it happen.

FEMA? We had heard that FEMA didn't need our help and in this area, it was true. Before we left, there were six truckloads of FEMA supplies (MREs - Meals Ready to Eat) stored in a supply shelter, waiting for FEMA to distribute it. It was believed they might start distributing them on Monday or Tuesday.

We finished everything that we could help with, got back in our van and started back. It was almost 48 hours exactly from the time we left, when we got back.

It wasn't all that much, but we believe it made a bit of difference, and that is good enough for me.

My point really is that we can not believe the rhetoric that we are hearing from FEMA, and Red Cross, while doing a good service, is it not about having private citizens step up and help. If you want to help. Here is my advice. Choose a county and contact the County Sheriff. Find out the situation s best you can, and if there remains a need that isn't being filled, find out how best to serve that need.

The couple that had been there after 4 days told me that they had seen two different government groups do some good (FEMA was not among them), but they estimated that over 600 private citizens and private citizen groups (like ours) had provided far more help than the government agencies. Most of the private groups were faith based, not all of them. But to this point, it was the Private sector that was stepping up.

We had heard that FEMA was in operation in the area. But except for a couple of people who may or may not have been FEMA, handling the FEMA collection, the only FEMA we saw were a few convoys of brand new FEMA trailers coming with Minnesota. So if they were already deployed and in place, where were these convoys going Saturday afternoon? Never mind. Just don't expect that they will be effective for quite a while.

I was very happy to hear the report of things improving for Ed and others in the area.

I am now a thousand+ miles away again, back in my "normal life", not unchanged. We spoke with so many people there, who had lost everything, and are trying to make sense of things. My son was even able to broker a little exchange between some folks who wanted to help us as we inquired about where we might get gas. We just wanted to top off our tank, and for planning purposes, but they very graciously offered us a 2 1/2 gallon can of gas they had in their truck. He said, we really appreciated it, but don't need it as much as them, pointing to a young couple whose truck he had helped push away from closed gas pumps in Wiggin. They lived a couple of miles away, and had come by looking for ice, and gasoline but ran out as they pulled up to the closed pump. In a few minutes, they were thanking everyone, and on their way home. Conversations with so many folks are cemented into our minds and hearts. We talked with people at every chance and offered what we could. And I could go on with stories of how they are "getting by" under incredibly difficult circumstances, but with a smile, and kind word for everyone they encounter. It was a real honor to meet a few of these fine resilient folks.

My thoughts and prayers will remain with all of those in the stricken area.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
BroDavid, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

It’s good folks like you that’s kept the people between Jackson and the Coast alive. Truckloads of water and food has poured in from private citizens and church groups, etc, from all over. We do appreciate it.

FEMA is coming. I am sure they will be here when the weather cools down. Hopefully they will be here by Christmas. Maybe they will bring us a cup of hot chocolate. Oh wait, they don’t work during the holidays, so I guess we can expect them sometimes after the first of the year.

Thanks to all those like BroDavid that's helping, and the local people pulling together things are getting better. Still a long way to go, but we will make it through this.

Thanks
Tom
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1396 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
BroDavid. That is an incredable story. You are a real blessing.

I agree and say Thank you.

Mya Smile
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Tom, Thanks for the encouragement.

We went around Hattiesburg on the way down, because we heard the roads were being closed south from there. But we did come back through Hattiesburg when we came back, and man! You guys got hit! The pictures on TV show it, but you cant really see the impact on people until you see it for yourself and talk to the people there. And as Tom said, from what we saw the people are going to make it! Glad we help a little.

It was all my Son's idea. He has been an alcoholic for most of life, and a real problem child. But he stopped drinking a year and a half ago, and after this, I can honestly say that I have never been so proud of him. He wanted to help, and he just would not be denied. He contacted people, and gathered all the information he could, and laid out a plan, then implemented it, and modified the plan as we went. We know that our help wasn't much in the whole scheme of things, but an ocean is made up of many rain drops, and as long as we can keeping the raindrops coming, we can make a difference in lives.

We have a lot of video, with a lot of videotaped interviews and will be posting a lot of pics etc, on a web site once we get the tapes into the computer (tonight, I hope)

The Government, will be real helpful eventually, and in the long run, they can handle the supply, and the rebuilding. But right now - it is real hard to help people, when you are so busy pointing fingers with one hand, and covering your butt with the other. They are just not able to get much done, and it will take good people who care to take up the slack.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing.

Everybody can do something. We just did what we could do. Nothing more.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
Thanks, BroDavid.

You and people like you are making the difference.

Ed Hutchison
Madison, MS
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

Home Page: http://www.ERHutchison.com
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Thanks, Brother David! What a great story!

My sister (a physician) is helping out at the Astrodome, where the situation is better than it was at the Superdome, but it is still pretty overwhelming.

The rest of us can send money to the Red Cross, but driving there with food and other supplies was a great thing to do.

Yours,

Paul
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
BroDavid, you’re right about the government, it will be a big help later and I didn't mean to bad mouth them. They have always been slow and will always be slow, that’s just the way it is. I’m sure it does take time to get things going in situations like this, it’s just hard to tell people to have patience when they’re hot, tired and hungry. In times like these having patience is hard for most.

I personally made it through the hurricane fine. I have been blessed in many ways. Continue the prayers for those who didn’t fair so well and they too will make it.

Again, thanks for the outstanding deed you did, the thoughts and prayers. Tell your son thanks and that all is appreciated and will certainly not be forgotten. Yes, you should be proud of him, we are too.

Tom
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Bro Dave...What a GREAT story!
I hope everyone reading this thread understands the real story here.
NEVER give up on anyone, especially your children.
David, from some of our phone conversations we have had in the past, I see where your son gets his compassion from. I'm proud of you as well as you son.
Later, Don
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
BroDavid:

I know this isn't why you posted, but let me add another "atta boy!" and a friendly back slap to those already offered.

One of the things I believe that's been overlooked or perhaps disregarded in this catastrophe is the Framers' ideal that government isn't "them." It is "us," we the people, who are the government. We are in charge of -- and responsible for -- this Great Nation. Your actions, while no doubt motivated by your faith, are also demonstrative of our God-blessed democratic republic at work the way it was intended.

Thanks for your example,
Leland
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A 48 hour trip to help out in Southern Mississippi (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL