The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » "The Blade" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Hmmm...I was discussing illusions with my partner at reahearsal last night and realized that I don't know who designed "The Blade" illusion Copperfield performed. Anyone know? Does anyone know what the real name is?
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Are you refering to the walking through the propeller thing he does? I'm not sure of the official name, but I think it was Andre Kole's idea.

Thanks,
Richard
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Might be the"Vertical Sawing" using a massive blade that was lowered from the flys!!

Jack
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Yes, I am referring to the vertical sawing with the giant blade. Copperfield says, "I call this illusion 'The Blade'...". I'm assuming that's not the real name of the illusion and I just wondered who was responsible for it.
"A trick may be very good...but...the illusionist must be better than the trick." -René Lavand
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1351 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Looks like David Mendoza Magicraft did this piece, with design & direction from Don Wayne. Possible help from Jim AND André, not sure
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Dream-Concepts
View Profile
New user
UK
95 Posts

Profile of Dream-Concepts
Magicraft built

Kole/Wayne principle design with minor details from the useual suspects.
Our annual sale of Costumes & props is now on - view them at www.IllusionExchange.com
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Thank you all for your input. So, now the only mystery remains the name, which doesn't really matter, I suppose. I don't plan on trying to put it in my show, but I do love it. It's just a different style and I think it looked great live when I saw it. Does anyone know of any other vertical sawings out there?
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1351 Posts

Profile of reedrc
I believe this is one of a kind, I don't know of any other like it. I'll ask Chris Kenner to be sure.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
This is not the only vertical sawing in history. Other have done it, though not with the woman standing up. If I am not mistaken, David cut himself in half vertically on an early special.

Chad
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
202 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
Steve Chezaday does a good vertical sawing that he designed. I have seen a few other versions, but nothing like the blade. It's certainly one of my favorite Copperfield illusions.

Matt
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1351 Posts

Profile of reedrc
Chad. What special would that have been? I only remember Unexplained Forces. thx

R.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed

Instagram
Facebook
Jon Gower
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
33 Posts

Profile of Jon Gower
I think it was on his first special - The Magic of ABC. DC laid on a high table was cut in half top to bottom by Shirley (I think) from the comedy show "Laverne and Shirley". In the end when the box was opened DC had changed into another character from the show and DC appeared in the audience.
Nell
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
265 Posts

Profile of Nell
Hmmm... interesting indeed... I, too, love 'The Blade' I mean, it seems simplistic technically, but it is still so visual. Okay, this was just food for thought...my mind tends to travel on tangents.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » "The Blade" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL