The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where did you learn from? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
I've learned from a lot of sources but I really think the best source was a local magic store in Idaho Falls, Idaho (Black Jacks Magic).

The guy that owned the store was a great salesman. He would show me an effect and wait to see when my eyes bugged out. He would not reveal the secret until I purchased it. Once I did that he was a master teacher. He would not only show me the gimmick he would continue with tips and tricks for performing it right. He would tip me on all the little things that most people would miss reading the instructions alone. It was the polish, the fine tuning, the thought process, and the psychology behind magic.

Much of the psychology he gave me for a particular effect I purchased I still use today for other effects. Sound principles are transportable.

Don't over look your local Brick and Mortor shop. Ya, you can probably purchase the effect cheaper on the internet, but the advice you get from the person behind the counter is priceless.

Break a Wand,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Mostly self taught. Books, videos, DVDs, etc...

I have also been fortunate over the last several years to be around other magicians. They have helped me a lot with things I have struggled with through encouragement and a willingness to help others who have "the magic bug."
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Books, videos, and I am lucky enough to have a mentor!
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Donnie W
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Donnie W
Books, Mark Wilson's especially, and the internet mostly right here on the forum
73 Donnie
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Books, self-taught for the first 10 to 12 years, then was fortunate to find a round table full of mentors!
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
My grandfather, Howard Brooks. Then much later Fred Donaldson of Austin, Texas. Of course books, dvds, videos, and experimentation.
lperna
View Profile
New user
Boston
31 Posts

Profile of lperna
When I was a kid, we had a family friend that was a Magician. She sort of guided me in my exploration. Now, I just use books and DVD's primarily.

Lloyd
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Mostly self-taught through many many books. In the last year or so, I have made some very good friends in the magic community and have learned a lot from them. I love sitting down with my fellows of the craft and just jamming on new ideas, moves, etc.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Starkindler201
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Starkindler201
Videos first... then books... then was mentored by a magician and voila!
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Back in the 70's, there were no videos or DVD's... So the only avenue for me were magic sets, old books with way too much text and way too little pictures...

I have to say it used to be harder to learn magic back then... But once you did, it certainly was a lot of fun. Come to think of it, it still is!

Louis Jutras
Static
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Static
I have learned like so many from books and DVDs. Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic, several books from Bob Longe, The Art of Modern Conjuring by Professor Henri Garenne, Vernon, Ellusionist, and of course the Café!
teoswand
View Profile
Regular user
usa
107 Posts

Profile of teoswand
At 90 % I was my teacher :-0
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where did you learn from? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL