The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Szechuan Sampler Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Hello all...
I have a question for those that have used this. As you know during the routine a main dish is picked from one menu, a side dish from another, etc. Even though the reality is that the main dish prices vary from menu to menu as do the prices of the other categories chosen from, nothing in the presentation as described precludes these prices being exactly the same in the minds of the rest of the audience.
How do the experts "prove" that these prices vary without altering the flow of the routine?
Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance.
kcalB
View Profile
Inner circle
Took me 16 years to make
1002 Posts

Profile of kcalB
You need to play up the variety of choices of each category and the audience will simply & logically assume that each of the many choices are priced differently.
I have used this for many years and it has always played well.

For effect I put my prediction inside a fortune cookie.

I'll take a number 5 to go and hold the soy,
Sebastian Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
This is where your language play's a big part. You can create the auditory illusion of a huge choice of prices and dishes and get aggreement from your onstage participants.....
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Thank you both for the responses.
After rereading my initial post, I don't think my question was stated properly. What keeps the bulk of the audience (those who don't get to handle the menus) from assuming that the appetizers on all 4 menus are the same price, as are the entrees, etc.? Is it simply that they assume the individual items all have different prices to begin with? It would be nice to verify within the presentation that had another menu-holder chosen the appetizer, for instance, that the price would have been different than the actual appetizer selected.
Maybe I am over-thinking this.
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
Just can second Sebastian's and Gambituk's posts. I use another variation of that theme. I call it 'Restaurant Mental' and its based on a very effective version by the Great Rodolfo (similar to my name) of Hungary.

Effect is that you want to show the future of ordering in restaurants. you hand a menu to a helper and some contact sheets for mental ordering. On this sheets you have all the meals from the menu in alphabetical order.

the helper just flips throuhg the menu and chooses apperitif, main dish and side dish (all from the same menu) and then just touches the contac sheet where the selections are on.

Then immediately I can tell the selections and the price.
I've used this for some years now with great success.

Will be part of my new lecture notes but I would be willing to share it for interested Café members. Just send PM of mail for more details.

Greetings
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2913 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Speaking of Chinese themed mind reading and predictions.

Check out this latest effect from Keith Fields. Its funny and impossible.

You can watch a live performance here.

http://kranzomagic.myshopify.com/product......h-fields

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Back to the original question, the mistake the person posing it makes is assuming that it should be appropriate -- let alone necessary or obligatory -- to "prove" anything. That assumption is a classic example of the tendency of so many magicians to run when they aren't being chased. One would hope that by the time a person has advanced to the point where they are ready to be performing mentalism they will have outgrown that syndrome.

As to Keith Fields giving the revelation written in Chinese, I came up with just such a "kicker" (but very different from Keith Fields' approach) that I have been using in my presentations of "Szechuan Sampler" since I purchased it years ago when it was first released; however, since I'm still using my twist on the idea in my own shows from time to time, I'm sorry to say that I'm not ready to share it yet. Maybe some day when I decide to release/publish my personal routines (some of which are completely original, but most of which are my adaptations of those commercially marketed by others).
Dick Christian
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Just trying to dot all the "i's" and cross all the "t's", even 4 years ago when the question was posted.

You may quit following me around now.Smile

JD
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
It is a sound principle -- and can be used for many various approaches. I used to make lists of supplies needed for corporations I worked for in trade show venues.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Quote:
On 2005-09-10 22:35, Pit Boss wrote:
How do the experts "prove" that these prices vary without altering the flow of the routine?

The fact that the menus come from several different restaurants strongly implies that the values are different.

Curt
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2237 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
You can also point out had they chose a different menu the price of the main dish would be different and this would in fact be the case. This is a fantastic routine.

Good magic to all,

Eric
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2048 Posts

Profile of aligator
Yes, I agree with the above. This has never been an issue. It's all in the presentation. Great effect and it still plays well.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I know I'm digging a really old thread. I just got myself Szechuan Sampler 2.0 and I LOVE the working!

But I have some technical handling, can someone help me? I got three glossy menu and three paper menu or what they call it flyers.

What is the best handling for the effect? If you want, I can discuss in PM.

Thank you.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3917 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Szechuan Surprise (and I am not sure which version I have) is an outstanding routine. Very easy to do and packs a tremendous punch with audiences. It provides for pure worry free interaction with the audience. It's particularly effective when backed up with the right music. I've used this one many times...feel free to PM.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2048 Posts

Profile of aligator
You always us the 3 glossy menus plus one of the paper menus.
david12345
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of david12345
Just be carfeul with some of the supplied jokes!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12243 Posts

Profile of John C
What's the diff between Szechuan Sampler 2.0 and Sweet and Sour Prediction by Keith Fields?

I ask because I own Sweet and Sour Prediction by Keith Fields and don't want to duplicate my effort. Thanks
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

For me the jokes are okay even I'm actually Chinese. But I will do this for students, so I'm thinking to re-scan the menus and remove the jokes. They should also give a smaller size of the voucher. The ones that come with the package are good for stage or even parlor but not for small classroms. I've got enough books and other things to carry for each class hahaha..

So I made my own version of gift voucher which can fit into my front pocket or fold it and put it inside an envelope.

Sweet and Sour Prediction is kinda different, from the video I just watched. It's more like mental prediction of what choice of food they love or their favorite, yeah?

With Szechuan Sampler 2.0 is you give out 4 different menus to 4 different spectators. Each of them choose a section of the menu (appetizer, entree, etc) and choose a food from that section. You then -pretend to be the waiter or ask someone else to help you- write down the menu and it's price. Emphasize that if they end up with different food from different section, the result will be different even for saving up time you don't show the calculation.

You get the total of the spending, and there is an envelope at the beginning of the routine, no switching, only one envelope with one gift voucher, no gimmick in any way. You then reveal that their voucher is the same amount as their spending.

Totally free choice of food but only good for a crowd audience. I usually don't like mental act without playing cards, but for this, I will highly recommend to you especially if you perform in front of people at Café, restaurant, etc.

After knowing the method, you then can design your own menu from restaurants at your local area Smile The method is simply beautiful but it always works 101%. I'm still amazed because the complicated thinking behind the method that I can't be bothered to do it lol. I just enjoy the method and the result. Will do it this week Smile
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2048 Posts

Profile of aligator
A real winner - by far the best Becker and Earle ever produced. I still us this, without the jokes, but it's not for a small parlour show. I do find that it works very well in a classroom. Just spread out the distribution of menus from aisle to aisle, front and beck. Tape the preciction envelope to the front of the teacher desk so that it is always in plain view.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Hi aligator, that is entirely true. I haven't bought every single of their products, but I own about three of them in total and this is their best effect. The method is so simple yet always surefire, leaving us to the presentation only.

We are left with the freedom to design our own menus and the prediction (vouchers, etc) because the working is dead easy.

I'm still in the process of re-scan them and perhaps change their names. After all, "Peiking" is not a really catchy name for a Chinese restaurant.

Apart from that, I know some people point out the lack of credits which with all due respect, I have to concur. They should've re-package this with DVD perhaps where there are demo videos and tips for presentation. Well, we'll never know.

But if you're looking for some mentalism act that has great mobility and big space for improvement, get this. I was so happy after I learnt the method and even tried it so many times to myself (I was a lil skeptical to be honest), and I was amazed. I even smiled looking at the result Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Szechuan Sampler Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL