The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I just got Prism, and Peek Performances. What "Feats" do you reccomend? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
There is so much great stuff in there! the booktests alone are worth the prize! kiki
Gordon Fisher
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
193 Posts

Profile of Gordon Fisher
Quote:
On 2005-09-12 11:31, Eddini_81976 wrote:
I don't like being "That off". To me a "Miss" is drawing two flowers instead of just one as your spectator did in a drawing duplication. To me that's a miss. I do get misses which is okay but ONLY because I REALLY missed, and not purposely, unless it's extremely little. Ed.

Quote:
On 2005-09-12 10:44, bumbacla wrote:
The book test doesn't appeal to you??!

an impromptu easy to do word revelation isn't appealing?
my god

what the hell are you talking about ???!!!

I'm talking about "paperback thought projection" what has a miss and drawing dupe got to do with this? nothing!!!!
Basil
View Profile
Regular user
Green Bay, WI
121 Posts

Profile of Basil
Ed,
If you read only the effects out of books, you can miss a lot of good advice on performance. With mentalism, how well it's sold to the audience can be more important than the effect. I've seen some performers make a simple little 'trick' seem like a miracle.

By the way, I met Jon Stetson last year after one of his performances. He chatted with me and my wife for awhile. Sometimes when you talk to a performer after a show they still act like they're 'on'. You know what I mean, kind of a 'plastic' insincere tone to their voice. Jon, however, wasn't like that at all. It was just a friendly little conversation.

A side note to Jon: After voluntering at your show, my wife keeps noticing that she gets forks with bent tines at restaurants. I'll say,"that's odd, mines perfectly straight" whether it is or not. It's fun to feed her paranoia a little.
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Quote:
On 2005-09-12 11:31, Eddini_81976 wrote:
I don't like being "That off". To me a "Miss" is drawing two flowers instead of just one as your spectator did in a drawing duplication. To me that's a miss. I do get misses which is okay but ONLY because I REALLY missed, and not purposely, unless it's extremely little. Ed.

Quote:
On 2005-09-12 10:44, bumbacla wrote:
The book test doesn't appeal to you??!

sometimes in mentalism you have to be a little `off`. it creates the `human touch`. if every drawing and word would be exactly like the spectators one, it will look too perfect and unbelievable. even a real `psych` couldn`t do that. kiki

an impromptu easy to do word revelation isn't appealing?
my god

Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Thanks, I've gotten done reading Prism. It was "Okay", to me. I'm now reading Peek Performances, and from the beginning. I like his billet fold. Now I'm reading the other variations of the fold. Yes I saw the riffle test Fib, and it looks good. Thanks, Ed, (Eddini).
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Gordon Fisher
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
193 Posts

Profile of Gordon Fisher
One of mentalisms "legends" publishes the majority of his thinking during the 70s and 80s and it gets labelled as "okay"

it was the foundations for todays performers, you have so much to thank maven for
Bennettjc
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
257 Posts

Profile of Bennettjc
Bumbacla,

I don't understand why you are criticizing Eddini for an honest opinion of "Prism."
If you think that "Prism" is more than "Okay" it might be more constructive to explain why you think it is so with example and explanation.

I happen to agree with Eddini that Prism is "ok" (or maybe slightly better than ok.) It is not a book per se, like "Peek Performances." Rather it is a collection of pamphletes. Some of the routines are fantastic in my opinion("Desire" "Four Sided Triangle"). Some didn't appeal to me because of they used things that I don't like. And there are great performance tips scattered throughout. "Prism" is a fascinating and important historical document but I wouldn't give it the highest marks as a stand alone mentalism book.

And I agree with you that we "have so much to thank Maven for."

Bennett
Brooklyn, NY
JordanMalfreed
View Profile
Regular user
California
116 Posts

Profile of JordanMalfreed
If anyone truly wishes to be astonished, they need merely to read what people write here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but their opinion is not necessarily based on complete information, or even nearly complete information. People get to form opinions based on anything they want, or even based on nothing.

If you bought a couple books and want to learn something from them, then I highly recommend reading those books and doing the work that entails finding out what works for you and what does not. Asking everybody else for their opinions is a distraction from the true work that can take you to your desired destination.

Here's a good example of what I would expect from someone who approaches fiction books (for example) in the same way that the originator of this thread has approached magic and mentalism.

"Hey, I just bought the complete works of Shakespeare. What is the best scene in the best play in this book? I don't have time to read it all, and I need to give a performance on Sunday. I already read part of 'Romeo & Juliet' and it doesn't seem very modern. The writting is all really old style and it's hard to figure out. I rate it a 4 out of 10 on my scale of value. I only gave it that high a mark, cause I've heard lots of good stuff about his work, and maybe there's a real good play in the book somewhere that I haven't read yet. Maybe there's one play that is worth the price of the whole book. Anyhow, there must be some really good writers out there....so can someone recommend something great. I just want the best, and I don't have time to mess around with some old stuff that is outdated and hard to read."

Please forgive any spelling or grammatical errors, and take my thoughts to heart, as that is what this post is about. Let's all do some thinking and move magic and mentalism forward, not backwards.

Rocking on,
Jordan
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Yes his stuff IS GOOD. I did RAVING reviews of his videos. I like the Red and Green books the best. Just some stuff used s*****s, and I'm not into that. I think HE is great. His DVD'S are awesome. It's just a Opinion, Ed, (Eddini).

P.S. You are right he is a LEGEND.

Quote:
On 2005-10-12 09:59, bumbacla wrote:
One of mentalisms "legends" publishes the majority of his thinking during the 70s and 80s and it gets labelled as "okay"

it was the foundations for todays performers, you have so much to thank maven for
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Hey Ed,

From Prism, I like desire, 4-sided triangle, and (always wonder if I remember correctly), kirigami. On a related note, I try to read a book all the way through once, then again with a more critical eye, then again concentrating on what I like. But that is just how I do it, feel free to read your books however you want and however you learn best. People tend to think what works for them works for everybody else but that is like thinking the sun revolved around the earth.

I think the approaches used in Prism were of more use than some of the tricks, due to my performing style and routining requirements. Good luck and have fun.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
I have the full set of the original Color Series pamphlets - and while the man is obviously a genius, I think on the whole, the booklets were over-hyped. And, no, I didn't pay a ridiculously high price for them either.

It's been so long since I read them, but 'Armchair Bowler' is good.

Dr. Zordas
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
I bought them when they came out the first time.

I was a kid and thought I found treasure.

Not for the effects but the concepts.

Jack

H.O.A_X
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
Prism in my opinion is great, bloomin great.
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
Prism in my opinion is great, bloomin great.
markiquark
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of markiquark
Hi folks,

I would appreciate it if someone could p.m. me on this, because I will forget all the threads that I am visiting.

What is the full name of Bush and what is the book you recommend?
Same question for Maven.

Thank you! Mar
If you are going to Puerto Vallarta on your acations, let me know and write me a PM. I am interested in meeting magicians.
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Eddini...
Trust me, man. I know how you feel. Sometimes it gets frustrating looking for really good stuff among the not-so-hot. But in Peek Performances, there is an impromptu book test with a paperback book that requires no marking, no playing cards, no numerical stuff, no muss, no fuss. Combined with a John Riggs p*****-w****** routine, which allows you to read a spectator's mind WITHOUT A BOOK -- and Banachek's "think of a letter," this is really good stuff.

Happy Thanksgiving, fib
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hi,

Don't give up on the ELEMENTAL trick in PRISM - I carried a prepared business card at all times and do it impromptu almost anywhere... it really can floor people if you got a good patter with it....

I almost all of Busch's work - so very cool - sticking with business cards again - See of White - how can you go wrong with that Smile?

In any case - both books are worth their weight in gold for distilling the basic utility principles from them!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5420 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Dr Spektor is correct; Elemental, when properly performed, can really be a mind blower. Four sided triangle is good, too.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I found good stuff in Richard Busch's work and in Maven's.
I bought the color series when they first came out and have used ideas from the booklets for all these years.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
690 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
I have the complete set of Max Maven's Color Series from when they originally came out plus Notions and many of his lecture notes all of them signed, each one is pure gold. Enough said!!!

Franklin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I just got Prism, and Peek Performances. What "Feats" do you reccomend? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL