The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ian Rowland on Prime Time Halloween (U.S. TV show) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Aristides
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Aristides
Unfortunately I missed the show and cannot comment on specifics. Debunking psychics and the supernatural is a time-honored duty for all magicians. Ian Rowland is being criticized on this forum for doing this show for money. How hypocritical! I am sure he could make several times what he presently does if he wanted to make a living fleecing the gullible.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4741 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Interesting topic, though I think this will not resolve the issue and can only serve to create negative comments and emotions. Smile

That said, someone had sent me the following PM regarding this very thread:
-------------------------------------------
I think someone should look into this. If this is something that really happened (I didn't see it myself) I think Mr Roland should be permanently dismissed from the Café.

If it is wrong to expose secrets here, it is certainly wrong to expose them on national TV.
"
------------------------------------------

One could also say "If it's wrong to expose secrets here it is certainly wrong to expose secrets in books that can be purchased by anyone at Barnes & Nobles or any magic shop"

And what about creators of tricks and apparatus who allow their wares to be sold to the public at Disneyland, or at the chain of MagicZones in malls?

We would have to ban a huge chunk of the pros who are members here, for many of them have books, videos, dvd's, and effects that can be purchased by anyone. Though I see where you are coming from, that particular analogy is in fact flawed.

As magicians, we are indeed like the wizard behind the curtain, hoping that stupid dog Toto will quit barking at us, lest we be exposed.

Trinity said;"I would suggest to most of you honest, hard working mentalists that you keep the good stuff off of the Magic Café. You never know what the exposers (more than one here) will do on national TV."

That of course will be up to each individual to decide. Even posting methods in a so-called secret area or private site such as The Nail Writer does not guarantee someone will not expose the stuff.

Once you place it on the net, or in a book, monograph, video or otherwise, you are taking a chance that exposure could happen.

I cannot and will not be the judge on this issue, it is way too complex a matter, with several variables involved that I am not qualified to answer.

In that light, I feel this subject is best addressed by those in the know somewhere else other than The Magic Café, where our goal is to provide a family like atmosphere free from profanity and flaming, where indeed magicians are helping magicians. Thank you. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
Quote:
On 2002-11-01 14:19, Aristides wrote:
Ian Rowland is being criticized on this forum for doing this show for money.

More specifically, exposing magic/mentalism secrets for money.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Ian Rowland on Prime Time Halloween (U.S. TV show) » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL