The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Great Minds Think Alike (Punx) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TonyBrand
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
508 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
Hello,

Does anyone perform this effect on a regular basis? If so, which type of paper have you had the most success with? Feel free to PM if you wish. Thanks guys.

-Anthony

P.S. For those who aren't aware of this effect, I highly suggest that you check out 13 Steps to Mentalism, page 192 or so.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Anthony,

Try my center tear pads. It's a little known secret I have not talked about before. Smile

Richard
TonyBrand
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
508 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
Thank you for the advice, Richard. Where would I be able to purchase these pads? Strange, I was also looking for a pad to use for my center tear routine. Looks like your pads just might fit the bill. Two birds with one stone I guess. Once again, thanks.

-Anthony
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
Hi,

I'm sure Richard could send you some of his pads. But I hope Richard won't mind if I can tell you that I'm sure that some local office supply stores have the papers you need. ;-)

Greetings
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
What a small world this is... I was just reading that effect last night and was wondering if it was something I could use since I don't ever use spectator as instant stooge.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Greg,

Wow, that is real telepathy. Last night you thought (and read) about this effect that hard that you influenced Tony to open a thread on this.

That's real mentalism!! Good job

Thomas

www.der-mentalist.net
TonyBrand
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
508 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
Or maybe, just maybe, I had been thinking about this effect for several days, which caused Greg to read 13 Steps last night and come across it

...or not Smile

-Anthony
Graymatter_Fireworks
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, GA
357 Posts

Profile of Graymatter_Fireworks
Drat, and I was hoping this beautiful premise would remain immersed.

I have some very effective routines using this method. The proper use of this process can make things look very genuine and can have a nerve-chaffing result.

-Brandon
"The social world in which we live, determines our experience of what is real." - John Gager
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-09-13 16:26, TonyBrand wrote:
Or maybe, just maybe, I had been thinking about this effect for several days, which caused Greg to read 13 Steps last night and come across it

...or not Smile

-Anthony

Or maybe this is all a dream? Hmm. Go back to sleep.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
And what if I told you that I found a heavily damaged, coverless copy of "fourth dimensional..." only a few days ago ? And that I was thinking about this test also ? coincidence or... ?
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2005-09-13 14:50, Thomas Rudolfo wrote:
Hi,

I'm sure Richard could send you some of his pads. But I hope Richard won't mind if I can tell you that I'm sure that some local office supply stores have the papers you need. ;-)

Greetings
Thomas

Thomas (and Tony),

If you mean paper that will work for Great Minds Think Alike, yes there are many types of paper available. If you mean the pads we sell for PCT, then NO, they are made up for us to my specifications and are not available anywhere else.

We never intended to be selling paper pads, but so many people asked us for them that we relented. As we pursued printers, paper, how many sheets? and all the rest, we finally came up with what we have now. The ideas that are incorportated are:

They are opague so that no one can see through them
They rip perfectly for the PCT and supply the right "characteristics" to do the moves
They have a good finish on them to allow the papers to "slide" easily for switches
They have a great finish for Great Minds Think Alike.
They are at http://www.osterlindmysteries.com

Richard
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
This may not be the proper place for a mini-review of the PCT pads (How about "Osterlind Opaque Pads" or O.O.P.?) but I have a point to throw in. It's possible to find the same type of paper (I'd want the "grain" to be the same, for ease in doing a couple of PCT moves), but it would require more searching than I've done. And it became apparent in my search, that I wouldn't find this paper, get it cut to size, and have it come out any cheaper than if I bought 'em at http://www.osterlindmysteries.com ... not unless I made a much larger order. Even then, it wouldn't be that much of a savings. I must assume that Richard & Jim aren't making a fortune off these pads.

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
In Punx's brilliant classic, there are no instant stooges if it is done well. By that I mean choosing yuor participants with care. I always, pick the person who seems most smitten by what I am doing. Sometimes, if I am performing in a venue with a younger spectator or two, I'll pick a child. About 10 years old is perfect. Believe me, the adults in the audience will not susspect him of being a stooge because he is not as he is totally mystified. Mean while, the effect has made its impact. One thing though: I have been caught using Punx's method of writing the number with my finger nail while gesturing. Now, I just use my thumb nail exactly as I would if I were using a boon writer. Goes right by them. This is strong stuff. Try it before you shoot it down.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Thanks for your reply Richard. Yes, for the Thinki alike effect there are numerous papers. That's what I meaned.

Regarding the PCT I agree that I had to search very a bit until I found a real good paper which works perfectly for me to perform your wonderful PCT.

Before I found the right paper for me at a local store (Vienna is well known for its good paper ;-)) I wanted to buy some from you Richard. But then a fellow mentalist gave me the tip for the store.

But as Chet mentioned, you have to search a while and so it mmight be easier to get them from Richard.

Thomas

www.der-mentalist.net
TonyBrand
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
508 Posts

Profile of TonyBrand
Thank you for all of your responses. I'll probably end up going with Richard's center tear pads. They seem like they would best suit my purposes.

-Anthony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Great Minds Think Alike (Punx) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL