The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Terry Herberts New DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
960 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
I will give a full review over the next couple of days.
Ive only watched the show part so far.
Terrys work with His puppet would be the best Ive seen,
well worth the dvd price alone.
Cliff G
View Profile
Loyal user
Madrid - Spain
296 Posts

Profile of Cliff G
Excellent news Wayne - I'm just waiting for mine to arrive!

Just a quick question - Does the puppet routine use ventriloquism or is the puppet silent?

Thanks

Cliff
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I got it and it is great. Silly Billy is on there as well interviewing Terry about performing for children.

Great stuff.
Ken
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
960 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Its a silent puppet routine.....funny funny stuff
Hope all is well with You Cliff.
best'
Wayne
srayproctor
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of srayproctor
For anyone wanting to purchase Terry Herberts new DVD its
available at Practical Magics website, http://www.practical-magic.com
Most google searches were directing me to reviews of a movie with
the same title.

Scott Proctor
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1210 Posts

Profile of Michael238
How much is it shipped in US dollars?
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1210 Posts

Profile of Michael238
Does anyone in the States sell this?
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
$50 US for a DVD? Glad I don't live in the UK!!!!!
WayneNZ
View Profile
Special user
New Zealand
960 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
If I worried about exchange rates Id never spend a cent.

Heres a full effect list of the new dvd.

Silly Counting
Silver Sceptre
Blooming Wand
Two little Dickie Birds
Tale of a Cat
New style Magic painting
Multiplying Banana's
Monkey Puppet Routine
Three Little Pigs
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
As good as his last dvd if not better great ideas
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Excellent DVD.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
So it has to be bought from the UK at this time?

Jim

(James, why don't you carry it in the states?)
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
It was filmed by the people at practical magic so as far as I'm aware only they sell it. there great to buy from though. you wont regret it
natmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
295 Posts

Profile of natmagic
Thanks for the review and comments. I've been a fan of Terry's for quite some time. I will be purchasing a copy.
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1631 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Something always puzzles me about Terry Herbert. I have no doubt his DVD is excellent, but I am interested that he is often quoted as being England's number one children's entertainer. I ran London's largest children's entertainment agency for 3 years in the late 1980's, and I never heard his name around at any birthday parties, and I never booked him. As he lived on the outskirts of London, this is very curious. As an adult entertainer with The Great Fiasco he was well known....especially at magic Conventions. Is it possibly he created his own myth and legend? Many magicians do. David Ginn for example..........
sfx
View Profile
New user
South Africa
12 Posts

Profile of sfx
I must say the Childrens Magic the Herbert way was certainly different. I am looking forward to the review of his new DVD as I am interested to see if he has updated his performance style and patter in any way. To my mind the Childrens magic DVD seemed a little dated. The structure of the show and tricks were very good, however he seemed to talk down to the children. In South Africa that approach would get you eaten alive by the little ones.
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
I have both Terry's DVD's. In my opinion, he is a first class children's entertainer. But in saying that, I learnt very little from his DVD's.

His style is perfect, and suits him well, but that is an old mans style (I'm don't mean to be rude or insulting here) and wouldn't suit a younger magician.

And vice versa, although the way I perform is very successful, it wouldn't suit Terry Herbert because it's suited to me being a lot younger.

Billy
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
The real question here should be 'what can I learn fron this seasoned professional' - not 'is he really the best UK children's entertainer'. Many others profess to be this, anyway. What Terry has done is to work in front of a live audience, then go into explanations. Take what you can from it - he is giving a lifetimes experience.
Billy, did you get anything from the DVD's - and I don't mean a routine you could copy, because I know you are not that sort of performer?
Just to take you to task about the 'older magician and his presentation' - I am an one of those (older magicians), but my style is nothing like Terrys because I am not him.
I think that what you are pointing out is that every performer has his own style and it COULD be age reflected Smile)))
If you are going to Southport next week, I would love to buy you a coffee and chat about this. That is what this magic business is all about.

Best to all,

Dave.
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Billy,
I wouldn't say Hebert's style is necessarily an "old man's" style. Or rather, you could label it that but that there might certainly be young men whose personality would suit that style. It's the person more than the age. I myself am going on 14...

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Quote:
On 2005-09-19 18:17, Daveandrews wrote:Just to take you to task about the 'older magician and his presentation' - I am an one of those (older magicians), but my style is nothing like Terrys because I am not him.

Hi Dave, My 'old mans' quote wasn't meant to be insulting. I realise there are many 'older' magicians about who have a younger style. But if a younger magician who was just starting out now tried to copy Terry Herbert, they wouldn't get very far, as it's not THEIR style. But unfortunatly, this is what happens, so many magicians try and copy the style and mannerism's of their idols instead of being themselfs.

If you look through old magic books, a lot of quotes and mannerisms are very very dated, but a lot of older magicians still use these styles today. It might suit them but it certainly wouldn't suit me.

As for the DVD, although I enjoyed watching it, there was nothing at all that I actually 'took' from it. If I was just starting out entertaining for children, I would have adapted his small puppet idea which I thought was very nice, but I already use Axtells Rodney Rabbit in my show which is hugely successful.

For a newcomer to magic, I think there is a lot to be learnt from Terry's DVD, and it would be worth buying, but I would suggest people just take an idea and try and adapt it to your own style and not that of Terry's.

Dave, I'm not going to Southport, but if I was, I would have really enjoyed meeting up for a chat. Some other time hopefully. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Terry Herberts New DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL