The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Voodoo beads of mystery...an effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
"So these beads protect you Baba," said Ogu, the Baba's student. "Yes, these beads are very powerful. I received them upon my initiation in Vodoun in 1957. You too shall soon receive yours as well."

Baba took off a set of colorful beads, rainbow colors, each representing a different Loa, or Spirit.

"Let me show you how powerful the beads are, sit down," said Baba pointing to the small carved stool, imported from Africa.

"one time I was feeling sick, and soon after the beads broke," Baba said taking scissors to the beads, and cutting them. "I immediately went to the Houngan for him to bless and fix the beads." Ogu helped Baba pick up the scattering beads, and handed the to him, bewildered.

"He told me that I had been cursed, but the beads protected me from the blunt of the spell. He took a small black bag, and placed the beads into it. Then he took a small piece of paper and drew a mystical symbol inside of it. He folded the paper, and asked me to sign the outside, but in this case Ogu, sign yours." Ogu, sensing he was soon to see something mysterious, took the pen and singed his initials.

Baba took the piece of paper and placed it in the bag. He took a large puff from his giant cigar, and blew it toward an image of Legba, the God of Fate. Then he lit a candle, and said some incantations in the ancient tongue, unknown to Ogu's ears.

A moment passed, and ol' Baba reached for the black velvet bag, opened it, and said, " Here Ogu reach my son...the Loa have done their work yet again."

Ogu, eyes wide open, reached curiously in the bag. He pulled out the beads, and they were perfect, in the form of the necklace. "look inside for the paper," said Baba, Ogu, astonished, rushed to find the paper. he pulled it out, noted his signature on the outside, saying, "Yes Baba its still here."

"Open it," Baba grinned.

Upon opening the paper, he leaned it toward the candle light, and was mystified to see HIS name scrawled in sacrificial blood. The symbol had disappeared.

"The spirits have accepted you into the Hierarchy," Baba whispered, taking the beads and placing them around the youths neck. "This is your intitiation, now, find your Self." Baba took the paper, tossed it into the candle flame, and Ogu marveled at its disappearance in a flash of fire.

...years later, after years of practice and training in the ways of Vodou, Ogu became Enlightened. He healed a great many people, then one day...he disappeared...into the infinite Void, just as the paper in the candle flame.
-------------------------------------------------------------

~did this the last few days...strong reactions...still wating to add a bit here and there.

~a simple Bill** sw**** for the signature on the outside, and also a Chan** B*g (THANX Mr. Skin, my bro!) was at work here. Also, flas* Pap**...

~if anyone knows any variations to restore the beads (these are small glass beads found at any craft store)let me know...

~I happen to know at least one person's name before the effect...thus their name is easily found on the inside of the swit**ed paper. I s'ppose if you don't know your victim, you could replace the symbol with fake blood, or another symbol...

thanx for reading...lets keep the magick flowing...
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Hi Gede,

As usual brother, you share an interesting piece of magic - you are getting too generous!!

As for another method for restoring the beads, "The Art of Close Up Magic" by Lewis Ganson has a fascinating method. In there, it is described with a pearl necklace, and the effect is that you borrow one, cut it(!) and spill all of the beads into a glass. The beads are then poured into your mouth, and so is the piece of cord that they were hooked on. Some facial expressions follow, and then you remove the pearl necklace restored.

I'm not sure if the method would work with beads - if you need more info, PM me.

If it did, you could do away with the bag and use a Glorpy or Haunted Hank instead, giving everyone the chance to "see" the beads reform themselves under the cloth.

Keep the ideas coming,

Liam.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Good story.
Once again, less is more in this case. The power of imagination should do his job.
Khopri
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
237 Posts

Profile of Khopri
I agree with the Curator.

The presentation is strong. Its all about the patter.

Bravo, Gede. You're dedication to the craft is most impressive in light of all that you've had to go through recently.
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
Anytime Bro.

Will you be back East soon? How are the rewrites coming? I saw glass beads that may fit our needs cheap the other day. I’ll try to pick them up today. At less enough for the 13. I know another bead effect, but I can’t place the source right now, maybe Swami/Mantra.

Later,
Gavin D.
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Very nice !

Really, you gotta stop spilling all your "beads" here and save some for your book. Smile
One quick, minor typo correction, I think you want the word, "brunt", rather than "blunt", as in, the beads took the "brunt" of the curse.
Doesn't Viking sell a pearl necklace that does this ? I wonder how hard it would be to swap the pearls for beads, or, for that matter, just build them up with epoxy putty and paint them, making beads out of them. I think they're relatively inexpensive.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Khopri
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
237 Posts

Profile of Khopri
Fimo or another similar brand of polymer clay would be perfect for making beads. Combining two colors together forms a nice marble texture. You can even get polymer clay that looks like stone. Then just roll them into small balls, poke a hole in them, bake them and string them up.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Wow! This really has some GREAT atmosphere and very much in character. Bravo!
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
831 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Once again you show that simple effects with a strong story and masterful
presentation equal wonderous magic. Thank you so much for sharing your
creation with us.

Dave
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Liam! youre at it again! ill pm ya! good stuff...

Christian, thanx, but alas, nothing compared to your genius...is your book still on track for late October? autograph one for Baba...

Khopri thanx bro...got your pm, and ill hit ya back..sounds wicked!

Skin....back already bro...just been giving you time to miss me...lol

Mystician, youre right...but I have to give this part of the Café a kick in the asss sometimes...I mean how much more is there to say about the %$#@*& "spooky key" *yawns*...not to mention Harry Potter wands...ECK!

and youre right, I guess I smoke to many BRUNTS...muha ha ha eh hem...

Cliff, Ptbeast, thanx as always...I love to get my felllow magi's feedback...

so since we have so much fake blood laying 'round due to Hallows eve, heres what ill do instead:

~Dab the paper with some blood, after I drew the mystical symbol...

~then when they open it later, their name has been scrawled with the very blood that was offered to the Loa, the symbol, or ve ve is still seen underneath...

thanx again for the input...I don't worry about posting my effects...very few pay any attention whatever anyhow...

sinnead!?? where are you??

Baba
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Gede Nibo wrote;
thanx again for the input...I don't worry about posting my effects...very few pay any attention whatever anyhow...

Well, not to be paranoid, but do understand the rules of the Café, as outlined here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......39&0

I'll quote the pertinent part:

In addition, postings made on this website are considered to be contributions (donations) and given to this site free of charge, and as such automatically become the publishing property of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, The Magic Bakery, and/or Steve Brooks Magic. No kind of royalties, fees or other monetary considerations of any kind are promised, expressed or implied to authors of said postings. Members who make such postings do so of their own free will and understand that posting here is no different then contributing/donating an article to a magic magazine, which then holds the copyright to the article.

However, that is not to say you do not own the intellectual property rights to perhaps an original idea or concept contained within said post/article (which you of course reserve the right to market at some later date) you may be discussing here. Steve Brooks, The Magic Café, The Magic Bakery and/or Steve Brooks Magic simply owns that particular article being posted, and may freely use as we see fit any said article/post in any projects (now or in the future) associated with The Magic Café, The Magic Bakery, Steve Brooks and/or Steve Brooks Magic be it on or off this website.

Now, I honestly don't think this is particularly worrysome or unreasonable, but when one posts as much good, original stuff as you do, it might give you second thoughts. After all, you don't see Christian, or Borodin, Alexandre, or anyone else regularly giving it away on a forum, although Peter Marucci does at Online-Visions. But then again, that's his very own column.
On the flip side, it might make for some good publicity if the Café published a book of it's "Best 1,000 posts" or something like that.
Food for thought. Smile
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
Mystician,

Thank you very much for posting that. It's good to know.

Gavin D.
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Thanx.
these stories, effects are all mine own...even if they used them elsewhere, I will still publish them at my own free will...if they were so brazen as to downright take them and not give credit etc., then what a shame...I do this out of the love for the art...I ask nothing in return, save appreciation.

having said that, I guess the train stops here...I better stop now...

yeah you don't see Alexandre posting free effects, but plenty of free plugs...

I still have loads of effects that I will never dream of posting...

*** capitalism, or the threats thereof always have to put a thorn in the freeman's side.

well, hope ya'll enjoyed them while they lasted...now into ebook mode.
sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
What kind of beads are these? are these the one like buddha beads?
another humble suggestion... maybe the names of the loa is written on the beads or a symbol. seems more mystical....

"then one day...he disappeared...into the infinite Void, just as the paper in the candle flame." I like how the story ends Smile

excellent routine baba Smile

sorry been busy this last few days...
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Glass beads, but it is easy to work this into a Mala bead as per Buddha, SHiva et al.

glad you like it brother....
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Khopri just sent me some SKELETON beads! they are perfect for this effect!

%^*&$#@ thanx Khopri! Ill make it up to you...

Baba
Khopri
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, TX
237 Posts

Profile of Khopri
No worries, Gede.

Knowing I added a touch of creepiness to your already spooky routine is payment enough.
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
.....Another TIGHT story and effect...........GREAT STUFF.......do I have to keep digging or can you get that book out....for real
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Voodoo beads of mystery...an effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL