The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » BCS idea! (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
Kiki and all,

What would you think of furthering the hands off by starting with the false shuffle ("I'm not going to to touch them again after I shuffle them") and then laying them on the table, ask the spec to cut ("as many times as you like") and then have them take off a small packet from the top? ("Now you put them back in the case") hold the case for the p**k as in "challenge mind reading," close the case, hand it to the spec as above. From there any of the dozen ways to do the reveal that has been discussed...

I'm vacillating on whether to get the cards back as I call them.
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
I found it is best to demonstrate EXACTLY how to cut the deck. You don't want a spec to get creative while handling the cards!
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1119 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Good point Kevvy, whenever a spectator is going to do all the handling it is crucial to have a very easy to understand way of instructing them on how to proceed. It is also a good idea to be a little careful when choosing the helper and emphasizing that they must follow your instructions precisely.

I will be performing this on Sat and will post about how it went - just thought I would jot down how I will present it. I am going to use the 'hands free' approach as much as possible and as have the spectators lock the thought of their card in their mind and then put the card somewhere out of sight. I will never touch the cards themselves. When the block selection is made I will ask the helper to mix them before distributing them around and allow anyone to take any card psycologically they are still making random selections while my back is turned).

I will only gesture to the spectator to hand me the card case when done and then use Glimpse to do the dirty work. As I do this I will say 'please stand if you are thinking of a card'. I will not mention the cards again but only refer to the cards they are thinking of. To acknowledge my correct hits I will ask all those thinking of a card to sit down again if I correctly name their thought of card (no displaying the hidden card - let them keep it). I will face the other way when doing the revelations saying that way I can't be picking up their body language. One at a time the people will sit as I get their card. I will also deliberately miss on one (name the mate) early on and then say 'I'll come back to that one...'. I will get a peek of how many people are left standing every so often and do as Richard does in his routine and when we are down to two people standing I will say 'I beieve there are two cards still being thought of...'. 'I will then name the incorrect mate again and say I could have sworn someone was picturing this in their mind. If the person thinking of the mate doesn't pipe up and tell me I will say is anyone thinking of card similar to this? I will then correctly name the one I have had trouble with and cleanly get the last person's card also. Looking forward to seeing how it plays...

Regards,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Quote:
On 2005-09-19 17:15, Brian Turntime wrote:
Kiki and all,

What would you think of furthering the hands off by starting with the false shuffle ("I'm not going to to touch them again after I shuffle them") and then laying them on the table, ask the spec to cut ("as many times as you like") and then have them take off a small packet from the top? ("Now you put them back in the case") hold the case for the p**k as in "challenge mind reading," close the case, hand it to the spec as above. From there any of the dozen ways to do the reveal that has been discussed...

I'm vacillating on whether to get the cards back as I call them.

hi! I also thought about that with the cutting. I think it doesn`t make a big difference. my experience is that the original `calling the cards` routine (grabing a bunch of cards) is in a laymen eyes convincing and clean. maybe we think too much (me included)about how to fool magician not laymen! kiki
D.Paul
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of D.Paul
Hi, this is a little something I have always thought looks really clean. As I show the spec that all the cards are mixed, no dupelicate cards or anything like that. At the same time as I'm showing the faces of the cards I Haymow shuffle, it looks really clean and looks as if I'm mixing the cards as I'm showing them. From that point I turn the face down and ask them to cut once, then proceed with the effect.

Darren
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
Quote:
On 2005-09-19 23:20, Al Straker wrote:

To acknowledge my correct hits I will ask all those thinking of a card to sit down again if I correctly name their thought of card (no displaying the hidden card - let them keep it).

Good idea.
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Al: How do your performance of this go ? Really curious.

- Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I've never done BCS.
But isn't this similar to Marc Paul's routine?
A shovelled deck, 5 cards selected for 5 people and he names them?

bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
Quote:
On 2005-10-05 04:31, bobser wrote:
I've never done BCS.
But isn't this similar to Marc Paul's routine?
A shovelled deck, 5 cards selected for 5 people and he names them?

bobser

There are similarities, but the routine is different. (You can perform several routines with the BCS) Actually, the last few cards in the BCS work for Marc Paul's 'Giant card mind reading' effect. This will allow you to do other effects before performing Marc Paul's routine.

I also use the BCS an out when using the classic force.
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
One thing...

...just be prepared when you encounter a spectator who forgets, or worse, missremembers, his or her card.

Always be prepared and always have an out. Even if your out in this case is allowing for a miss, its good to know what you would do so it won't throw you off balance when it happens.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1119 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Hey all felllow posters sorry it took a while to post the outcome of the 'hands off' BCS approach also using Kiki's ideas. Have to say this received some of the most dramatic reactions I have had. Psycologically my aim was to convince them all I never touched the cards and was turned away throughout the entire selection process. I also wanted the audience to believe the helper shuffled the cards. Here is how it played out.

Firstly I should mention that my regular venue is an ex-morgue that has been turned in to a winery. All the people were dressed as 'kooky' characters as the winery runs themed nights as their main attraction. My character is a kind of bizzare psychic undertaker and I dress accordingly. Every so often during the show a burst of baroque organ music comes forth to punctuate the effects. I could not ask for a much better mood or venue to perform.

I opened with 'Eye to Eye' by Gauci and had a good response then went in to card calling (I use the mnemonica stack by Tamariz). I emphasized the impossibility from the beginning and did my usual suggestion build up. I selected a helper using the maven tossed paper ball colour idea which worked in this case (those who have prism can look this up). The selected helper was a lady dressed as 'Morticia' from the Adams family. I left the deck sitting boxed on the table on top of a large notepad and turned away to give instructions. I emphasized that I would never touch the cards and for her to follow my instructions to the letter as it is quite difficult to be successful in any case.

Here were my intructions to her to keep things clear:
I asked her to remove the deck from the box and look through it to make sure they are all different. I then asked her to hold the deck face down so no one can see and cut any number of cards off the top and place them on the table 'to make sure we start form a random place'. I reminded them I was turned away while this happened. I then asked her to silently cut a pile of cards from the top of the deck, 'any amount you wish and place them in your pocket or somewhere where no one can see them'. After this, I asked her 'place the remaining cards on top of those on the table and put them away in the box so every card is now out of sight'. I then reminded them my back has been turned the whole time and asked her to 'take the cards out of your pocket and give them a mix'. I then asked her to hand anyone sitting near the front a card each which they were to immediately put in their pocket. After this was done I asked all those with a card in their pocket to stand. I then reminded them all that I have never touched the cards once, had my back turned the entire time, my helper mixed the cards up herself and not one single card has ever been in sight to me at any point in the routine. I also use Richard's line that even if the cards were marked, which they are not, I still have not had the chance to see the front or the back of a single card. I then asked one final time if every card was still out of sight and turned to face the audience again.

I asked all those with a card in their pocket to 'please stand'. Under this strong misdirection I picked up the card case and did glimpse (by Mark Spellman - I have gimmicked both sides of the case to make sure!). My motivation to pick up the case was to move it aside so I could get to my notepad (the table is so small that the helper had to put the card case back on top of the notepad - a subtle magician's choice which allowed me the motivation to touch the case again).

What happened next was really mentalists heaven as one of the people blurted out to their friends quite loudly 'he cannot do this, I just won't believe it if he knows the cards...'. This set an excellent precedent and in a serious tone I agreed that this is one of the most difficult things I have attempted. I started making my notes and asked them to think of their cards like a bright painting and make colours particularly vivid. I ask 'was that image real in your mind?' then say 'why shouldn't it be just as real in my mind?' With that bit of suggestion, I proceeded to call off the cards asking the participant to sit when they heard the card they are thinking of. After two revelations the lady I got up to help screamed and this set off a whole lot of 'Oh my God's' and 'What the's'. I deliberately missed on one card naming the mate, said I was fairly sure on this one and asked if anyone had a similar card? A gentleman dressed as Uncle Fester said he was thinking of a similar card. I then said I will come back to that one, that way when I got to the last two people I knew exactly who had what and could do an individual naming of the card with confidence. From the comments I got, I believe this left the impression I knew exactly which card EVERYONE had. I did not ask them to remove the card from their pocket and as the last person sat down I said to the group 'please keep the cards you were thinking of as a souvineer'.

The only thing I regret is not closing with this as it made the show peak a bit too early. Next time I will do this as a closer or second to closer. The other material I did was my own cold reading routine called 'The Gift', a bizzare effect by Borodin involving a glass of liquid and a D'lite, Maven's Mind's eye deck, my combined method metal bending routine, then Sean Field's Tesla experiment using pre show. This also caused a stir and I highly recommend Sean's work.

Thanks again to Kiki for a fine presentation idea of hers!

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker

KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
....of hers?

nice review al! glad it killed the specs! I will try it on wednesday! kiki
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1025 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Hers? are you not a her KiKi?

Doesn't matter, but I just want to tell you I love this Idea. I haven't gone as far as Al with the no touching the deck bit, but I have done the rest. I love the miss call note Al. I have done such with other routines, but not here. Got a great reaction. Have used it once, and am going to replace my tossed out deck with this routine, that's how good it is. I haven't ironed out all the kinks in my presentation of it but it killed. It simply leaves no paths and looks like real mind reading. Good Job.

I only have two questions. Why did you post this beauty? And how is it working out for you this far?
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1119 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Hi Stuart,

I agree this idea is A1 quality material. I'm not sure if you were asking me or Kiki those questions. I posted this performance because it was based on someone else's idea and wanted to share how I adapted it and how it went across. Also Nicodemus wanted me to post how the show went. I agree this is better than a tossed out deck. Looks more impossible because they sit down one by one and at the end you know exactly who has what. Thus far, it is working out absolutely superbly, only performed once but now firmly in the show towards the end. The fact they can keep the cards is also strong as it rules out gimmicks.

Cheers,
Al

PS My appologoies if the questions weren't for me.
Al Straker

Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
436 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
Has anyone done this with their BCS. I was putting my BCS together and saw I was missing a card.I didn't have an extra deck with me at the time so I subsituted with a joker. Now that I have done this I know everytime someone should have picked a 4ofD it is the joker.So now I say someone has a card but it is a differnt kind of card.It don't have #s on it or not a suit.IS your card a joker?
Worked out so well for me I kept the joker in the deck and leave out the 4ofD
Shawn D
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1141 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Quote:
On 2005-10-06 04:14, StuartPalm wrote:
Hers? are you not a her KiKi?

Doesn't matter, but I just want to tell you I love this Idea. I haven't gone as far as Al with the no touching the deck bit, but I have done the rest. I love the miss call note Al. I have done such with other routines, but not here. Got a great reaction. Have used it once, and am going to replace my tossed out deck with this routine, that's how good it is. I haven't ironed out all the kinks in my presentation of it but it killed. It simply leaves no paths and looks like real mind reading. Good Job.

I only have two questions. Why did you post this beauty? And how is it working out for you this far?

Hi! first, I don`t know why I posted it. Just had this idea and wanted to know how other magicians think about it. I didn`t expect such a response at all!
Second, on Wednesday I try it out the first time!
P.S.: kiki is `his` Smile Best kiki

Posted: Oct 7, 2005 2:38am
-------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2005-10-07 01:24, Shawn D wrote:
Has anyone done this with their BCS. I was putting my BCS together and saw I was missing a card.I didn't have an extra deck with me at the time so I subsituted with a joker. Now that I have done this I know everytime someone should have picked a 4ofD it is the joker. So now I say someone has a card but it is a different kind of card. It don't have #s on it or not a suit. Is your card a joker?
Worked out so well for me I kept the joker in the deck and leave out the 4 of D.
Shawn D

Nice idea with the joker. but why do you leave one card out? You just have to remember where the joker is! Best kiki
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1025 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Lol, good point. Well at least you know you can stand by the fact that this is yours. I have not seen it anywhere else. Again, well done
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2005-10-07 01:24, Shawn D wrote:
Has anyone done this with their BCS. I was putting my BCS together and saw I was missing a card.I didn't have an extra deck with me at the time so I subsituted with a joker. Now that I have done this I know everytime someone should have picked a 4ofD it is the joker.So now I say someone has a card but it is a differnt kind of card.It don't have #s on it or not a suit.IS your card a joker?
Worked out so well for me I kept the joker in the deck and leave out the 4ofD
Shawn D

Shawn,

That was good thinking for an emergency remedy, but if you are going to do it all the time, why not just leave the Joker in the deck with all 52 cards? I have done this myself and placed it after the King of Spades. That way, if you wanted to do one of the effects I mentioned in The Memorized Breakthrough, you can just look through the deck, remove the Joker and cut the deck at that point. Then you are ready to go.

Richard
Snail
View Profile
Regular user
UK
163 Posts

Profile of Snail
One other idea: Why not have certain cards in the deck that you can psychologically force. Queen of hearts, 4 of clubs, and 7 of diamonds are cards that I psychologically force most easily. If you know someone has this card and they have it in their pocket without looking at it, you can say, "Right. I've told other people their cards without them looking at them. I'll tell you what. YOU name your card". Psychologcially force it. "You think you have the 7 of diamonds? Then take it out!"
mouliu
View Profile
Regular user
Hongkong/Taiwan
169 Posts

Profile of mouliu
Great ideas, thanks all. I love BCS and use it a lot.

Recently I'm thinking about remember the exact positions of each card using BCS, wondering what effect can acheive.

One idea, I ask an audience put the cards on table one by one and stop whenever s/he wants, and put it into his/her pocket (while I turn my back to him/her). From the sound s/he makes while putting card on table, I know which card s/he takes. (For example, if the top card 4D, I know the fifth card is 3C)

Any idea on the application of remember the exact position of each card?
A novice't reflection: I like watching my audience's jaws drop, but sadly in reality I'm just too busy to enjoy it. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » BCS idea! (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL