The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Whats the best egg bag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
HatTrix
View Profile
Regular user
USA
108 Posts

Profile of HatTrix
Hey guys I was thinking of buying an egg bag but I was wondering which type of egg bags are the best because there are so many thanks in advance for the help.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
HatTrix:I have been using the same egg bag for 20 years,although I have tried others, nothing compares to my original.Guess what?I don't even know the name/syle of mine.I am sure somebdoy will recognize it from my description:Medium heavy orange plaid cloth.Vanishing method near top of bag on left side.Pocket just across to right.IMHO this style is far superior to the bags with the vanishing method at the bottom.This GREAT egg bag still looks new even though I have probably used it a thousand times.Whoever created this bag new what they were doing.And if you can still get one I highly reccommend it. All the Best. Rich
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
The Tarbell Egg Bag, which is what PaleoMagi was describing, is a great bag style. There is also the Malini style bag. Both have their pros and cons. However, since you posted this in The Little Darlings area, I'll assume you will be using it for children's shows. And the Tarbell bag is very good for children. The egg used is usually a solid heavy egg which won't break if dropped or handled harshly. Also (since it was mentioned above) the pocket is practically invisible. In fact on mine I've turned it inside out looking for it -- only to discover that I had been looking at it all along.

Sammy Smith sells the one that I use. Look on his site at http://www.spsmagic.com

Scott Smile.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I really like the malini egg style. It has worked well for me in my kid shows. I have them on my site http://www.kenscottproducts.com
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I use a plain (ungimmicked) yellowish bag that looks like a nest. I make them myself from polar fleece material and draw "straw" lines with brown and orange sharpie magic markers on the outside. My routine uses a variety of eggs from wood to plastic to blown to real, and the egg bag part of the routine finishes with the "endless" production of real eggs as I get set to bake a magic birthday cake. I am writing up the complete routine and it will soon be ready for publication on The Magic Nook. Using a ungimmicked bag might not work for everyone, but there are so many ways to conceal an egg, given both hands and the bag itself, I just don't feel a need for secret pockets.

There's one exception- I love the mesh egg bag BA principle for visibly vanishing the egg, but now I use the mesh principle (RA) on a Christmas stocking and use it to vanish a Christmas ornament so I can get the best of both worlds. Since the mesh stocking resembles those stockings sold in stores filled with candy, it doesn't look so much like an "unnatural object" as the mesh egg bag does.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Lynetta Welch ( http://www.fabricmanipulation.com ) makes the best Malini Egg Bag, hands down. Used by Johnny Thompson, Lance Burton and yours truly, it's made from a quality, heavy silk so it handles beautifully and can take rugged handling. It costs a bit more than you will pay for other models, but worth every penny. While you are at it, get her "Perfect Egg" to go with it (actually, get two so you have a backup).

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Martin lewis has a very good one at magikraft.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5737 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use Tarbell Bags that are made by Pauline Tong. I have three of them! I really like the fact that the pocket opening is stitched, unlike the Mardo bag that I got which unravels at the pocket. The learning curve is really short for a Tarbell bag, if you use the Martin Lewis routine.

I tried to learn to use a Malini bag, but I haven't been able to get the handling where I wanted to be. I suppose that I have high expectations, considering the first performer that I saw perform with a Malini bag was Harry Riser. I swear he made that bag appear that there was no way that he could even conceal a marble.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I also use the Tarbell bag. I like it better than the Mardo because the pocket is lower and this has an advantage over the Mardo. The Mardo, which a higher pocket, gives less area for the pocket and therefore, in my experience, shows a more pronounced bulge. My routine is based on Tarbell's own egg bag routine.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I use the egg bag with the net on one side so you can see the egg instantly appear. When I started I made my own, and since that time I bought a nice red one. (I still have my original) The routine I use, I don't remember how it was fully created, but I have seen variations of it from others. For kids, I do the "pretend to hide it under the arm" bit of business.
Dennis Michael
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Myself, IO like the Grants Comedy Egg Bag as it has a kicker ending with the final production of the chicken at the end. this year though I've been using a TarbellMardo bag wwith a routine inspired by one I saw at a lecture done by Bob Sheets.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
New Zealand
798 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
I also am a fan of the Malini Egg Bag. Keep your eyes open soon for the complete routine with appearing chicks ... more to come
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://extrememagicmakeover.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Jim Gerrish's "Ungimmicked Egg Bag" routine has just been published. Besides all the directions for performing the egg bag with an ungimmicked bag, the routine includes the "endless" production of real eggs, a Chef Hat Paper & Apron tear from Wiz Kid Eleazar Goodenough, the "gooey-mess-on-the-kid's-head-that-turns-into a-bouquet-of-spring-flowers" bit, and TWO magic oven props to build, a large one to produce the six foot high inflatable birthday cake, and a smaller table-top version that produces a REAL edible birthday cake, complete with instant self-lighting candles on top! It's on my site now!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1217 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Quote:
On 2005-09-17 08:08, STEVIE D wrote:
Martin lewis has a very good one at magikraft.com

I second the Senor Mardo Egg bag as popularized by MArtin Lewis. You can purchase it and also an instructional DVD from http://www.hanklee.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5737 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I have a Mardo bag, but didn't care for it because the pocket unravels. I don't have that problem with the Tarbell bag that I use.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
712 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Malini is my favorite
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
It's not the egg bagg, it's the presentation. Some are designed just for comedy, while others like Malini is designed to be very convincing and powerful magic.
Dennis Michael
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On 2005-09-23 05:39, DenDowhy wrote:
It's not the egg bagg, it's the presentation. Some are designed just for comedy, while others like Malini is designed to be very convincing and powerful magic.

Convincing and powerful magic? That would be the egg bag from hell, more suited to the "Bizarre" section than the "Little Darlings." But you are right, the egg bag is 99% presentation and I don't even bother with a gimmicked bag any more. My new routine, just published on Spellbinder's site, shows how to get the same effects with a variety of ungimmicked bags and even hats.

The egg bag from hell, mentioned above, is torn from strips of white tissue paper. After making a white tissue paper bag and performing the various egg bag stuff with it, you hold the bag to a candle and it flashes out of existance. Very powerful and convincing magic indeed. Then the egg begins to hatch...oh, no!
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Jim, is your presentation done and ready to go? I've a reason for asking....
Steve V
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On 2005-09-23 12:56, Steve V wrote:
Jim, is your presentation done and ready to go? I've a reason for asking....
Steve V

Yes, "The Ungimmicked Egg Bag" routine is available on-line at The Magic Nook. Spellbinder wants me to add some more photos to help clear up my convoluted explanations, but those will be done this week-end. The pdf version will be sent out to all purchasers when the e-book is pronounced complete by Spellbinder. In the meantime, purchasers can see it on-line and e-mail their ideas for improvements if they wish, participating in the final version of the e-book.

So... what's up? PM me if you prefer.

I am looking forward to your review of Eleazar's book tomorrow night on the Magic Broadcast Internet Radio site. Eleazar talked about it all day to day. The Wiz Kids will all be listening.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Whats the best egg bag (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL