The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Uninteresting (so far) Coin Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Hi all,

I've never really been into coin magic. To be honest, I've never really seen many coin tricks performed. I recall seeing Doug Henning do a trick with coins back in the early 80s (I think).

I've got no coin tricks to hand, no books or videos on the subject and I've seen nothing so far to inspire me to go down this route.

However, I have an open mind.... can any of you who are coin fanatics get me enthused on the subject? Any comments welcome.
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Go to a book store (magic or a big normal book store chain) and skim through Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. If what you see looks interesting buy it, its only like 10 dollars. It is THE BIBLE of coin magic!
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Bobo's is fantastic, so definitely pick up a copy if you're looking to get into coin magic.

If you want something to get your feet wet, pick up a Scotch and Soda set. It's a classic effect, but one that still wows people. The magic happens right in the spectator's hand -- you can't beat that. As an introduction to coin magic, S&S is great; once you get your first startled reaction, you'll be hooked on coins!
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I am not going to get you enthused about coin magic by writing something here.

You have to go find a magician good with coins and get fried by him.

Honestly, that is what makes me enthusiastic about a type of magic. If I get fried by it, I like it.

On an unthusiastic level a few reasons I like coin magic is:

1. People have an inherent interest in money - simply pulling money out of your pocket can get someones attention (more than a deck of cards for example).
2. The props are very easy to carry or borrow.
3. It can be done impromtu (both numbers 2 and 3 increase your chance of being able to perform it)
4. Using money does not seem "propish" even though I tend to use money people don't usually carry (go figure).
5. It is a raw visual type of magic because it typically involves color changes, vanishes, productions, and or transpositions.
6. You can capture someones attention with it very fast by doing a quick few second impactful trick or a nonchalant flourish.

Dan
Click to visit:
sethbek
View Profile
Regular user
New York
161 Posts

Profile of sethbek
I think you should check out some coin tricks online. check out some of dan watkins stuff at http://www.coinvanish.com (above poster). See Al Shnieders matrix at http://www.worldmagiccenter.com/movie.html (click MATRIX) . look for chink-a-chink (david roth) online as well. Also look towards http://www.magicsmith.com and check out the online demos that allow you to see some tricks- look for coin ones there.

I, personally, like coin magic because it can be done very quick right in your hands. there is nothing that makes any of it look like a trick. (boxes on stage for example make people think)

With coin magic there are only a few basic moves that you need to know that can get you moving very quickly. VERY quickly. Also, I agree with r4bid who said to get bobo's book. see how you like the first chapter. i think most of coin magic is all in the 1st chapeter of Bobo's book.

Smile Smile Smile
*poof*
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2002-11-01 15:36, sethbek wrote:
i think most of coin magic is all in the 1st chapeter of Bobo's book.

Seth,
You might want to review your copy of Bobo's. The first chapter is "Coin Concealments". Palming is not magic.

The real work is farther inside. Much farther.

Good coin magic requires a great deal of thought and consideration. There are few "self working" coin tricks.

To really understand coin magic you have to understand construction and the direction of attention, not palming. John Ramsay couldn't even classic palm a coin but his routines are amazingly complex and baffling even today and even when you know them. Ditto for David Roth and routines like "The Purse And Glass".

cheers
bill
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Bill,

You may have hit the nail on the head for me. The problem when I have seen coin magic performed is that I'm always looking for a palm to occur and invariably, if a palm is performed I (think I) can see it and the magic disappears. To compare with card tricks - even though I understand (but cannot do!) a lot of card sleights, I find it quite hard to spot EXACTLY what a seasoned magician is up to whilst manipulating the deck. Some quite bold sleights can be performed almost invisibly (take the pass as an example, whoever thought that would be workable as a concept is a genius in my mind) and the sleight has quite often occured before the spectator may have been expecting it.

The coin magic I've seen to date has been fairly transparent. I'll check out the links mentioned above and see if this will help to change my perspective.

Thanks, all, so far. Keep the suggestions coming.
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
In the hands of a master like David Roth, coin magic just blows me away!
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I got into coin work after seeing Albert Goshman work back in 1976.

Coin magic still draws people in.

One of the highlights of the late night session at the Workshop was seeing Jason Deans coin work.(Cool Stuff Jason)

It is more than your uncle doing the "what's that behind your ear.

Coins like any magic can be boring or exciting depending on the connection the performer gets with the audience. ( I have been both kinds of performer)

Harris Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
As magicians, we start out having a problem. If we can see or suspect how the magic is done, we are not impressed. As we are in magic for a longer period we start to realize that we have more knowledge about magic than the average laymen. We don't have to be fooled by the magic to realize that it is a great trick. It is the laymen that is to be fooled & entertained.

Try out some coin magic. Practice till you can do it perfectly. Then start to perform it on lay people. If you have practiced, you will be shocked at the reaction you get. For that matter, try all different types of magic. Some will suit your skills & personality, some will not. You will never know unless you try.
sethbek
View Profile
Regular user
New York
161 Posts

Profile of sethbek
wsduncan-

The first chapter is the basis for coin magic. Without it nothing else can really be accomplished. There ARE other things in the book, but the first chapters are all you need to start to get a flavor for coin magic and to do tricks. You don't need a walk through from bobbo on tricks (end of book). you can come up with your own tricks using the tools learned from the begining.

Smile Smile Smile
*poof*
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I think some of the more memorable and amusing coin stuff is for more formal, sat at a table performance. One such effect that I used to do that comes to mind is Roth's idea of shrinking coins by dropping them in a funnel and placing the resultant tiny coins into a tiny bottle.

Stuff like this is fun to watch and fun to do.
When you say, Beetroot;
"I've got no coin tricks to hand, no books or videos on the subject and I've seen nothing so far to inspire me to go down this route."

Then it simply means you should invest in a book or video on coins. What do they say, "Seek and ye shall find!" Smile Your statement shows you have done nothing to expose yourself to much coin magic. Great explorers would never have found anything if they hadn't gone out and looked for it.

Paul.
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Quote:
...Then it simply means you should invest in a book or video on coins. What do they say, "Seek and ye shall find!" Smile Your statement shows you have done nothing to expose yourself to much coin magic. Great explorers would never have found anything if they hadn't gone out and looked for it.

Hi Paul,

I agree. Already the responses that I am getting in this post are enthusing me more and I had a look at a couple of the recommended demos and was quite impressed.

Can you recommend any books/videos yourself? I'm currently compiling a list of potential Christmas presents (everyone is asking me what I want) and a decent start in coin magic would be something to look forward to over the Christmas break. Bobo's book will probably be on my list, but anything else...? Videos/DVDs have the advantage of showing the impact of tricks immediately - I like books but I'm not a great reader so DVD recommendations would be great.

By the way, the coins used in the Coinvanish.com clips were very attractive (i.e. create a nice visual impression compared to your average British 2p coin). Aesthetics is pretty important to me - any recommendations on coin types?

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Hey Dan!

I've just read Steve's review of Volume 1 of your Coinvanish book. Looks like I'll need to add this to my purchase list don't you think?

Certainly, looking at your site, there are some good works to aspire to even if it's out of my league at the moment!

Compare my enthusiam now to the tone of my original post. This is what I need!!!!!!

Cheers
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Beetroot,

Thank you for the compliments I am glad my stuff can provide something to aspire to.

I don't want to mislead you however, this would not be a good purchase for you if you are not familiar with the basics of coin magic. Your money would be better spent on one of the introductory videos - check this out http://www.coinvanish.com/compare.html this will help you more than my manuscript for where you are currently.

Sincerely,

Dan
Click to visit:
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Dan,

Thanks for your honesty. I realised from Steve's review that this would not be entry-level stuff.

Excellent! I just took a peek at the compare.html link you mentioned and I'm in the process of printing it to have a good read through. The table looks VERY helpful. I'll make an informed decision for my order of purchases based on this.

This kind of information is EXTREMELY useful to those of us starting in new areas.

Cheers,

Beetroot
kermitthefrog
View Profile
Regular user
France
128 Posts

Profile of kermitthefrog
I would suggest laying hands on a video of David Roth performing some of his effects (most of his teaching videos, if not all, also contain performances). If those performances leave you cold, then I would regard your aversion to coin magic as a genetic problem that most likely cannot be overcome.
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Smile Thanks Kermit! I think a mutation may be occurring. I'm trying to decide on either "David Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made Easy" Volumes 1,2, or 3 (or combination thereof) or "Michael Ammar's Complete Introduction to Coin Magic". It'll probably be a budgetary decision.

I've never seen either guy perform so it'll be an interesting purchase whichever way I go.
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
Beetroot, take a look at Ultimate Coin Magic by David Roth, I believe those are simply the Expert Series redone on DVD. Maybe Dan can correct me if I'm wrong. Smile
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
The Ultimate Coin Magic series is everything BUT volumes 1,2, and 3 which are the ones that teach the basics. So no Ultimate Coin Magic I would not recommend for the beginner. But I would recommend for anyone who allready has volumes 1,2, and 3 of the Expert Coin Magic Made Easy series.

Dan
Click to visit:
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
If you want to be blown away, and you would like to learn very workable stand up coin routines.. check out David Stones coin magic
volume 1 and 2.. this is the work that really boosted my interests in coin magic.
I had Roths tapes first but the majority of his effects require you to be seated at a table, and are more formal routines.
David Stone has a wonderful collection of
about 17 routines that are performed standing. (no lapping) some do require a table to work on, but you are standing.
also, most of his stuff is spectator involved which really strengthens the magic when it happens in their hands..
Good luck,
Tom Smile Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Uninteresting (so far) Coin Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL