The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The star of my show died tonight... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
298 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Danny,

As others in this forum have expressed, I too want to extend my condolences for your loss. I used to think that people who grieved over their pets were just being silly... but now, after owning a Yorkie for several years, I understand. I can't imagine the pain I'll feel when she's gone.

Hopefully, your new bunny will help you theraputically through your grieving process. I'm glad that you've decided to 'carry on.' I wish you the best, my friend.

It's great to see the heartfelt support that this forum offers. I love this place!

Dave
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
Fiddling-Steve
View Profile
Loyal user
Danbury, Connecticut
212 Posts

Profile of Fiddling-Steve
Sorry Dan Smile I hope the new bunny is great, but its hard to fit in the shoes of such an amazing rabbit. Her performance left the kids laughing and crying and begging to pet her Smile
I bet Penelope went to bunny rabbit heaven, with all the other magic rabbits.
Stick to the classics,

Stephen
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Oliver is a GREAT name, Danny! I love the idea of Penelope deciding to be a beach bunny and introducing Oliver as Penelope's baby. You could have a little fun with your new bunny being new to the job.

I'm so sorry about Penelope, but I'm heartened by the amount of support you've received from your fellow magicians.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
The aren't pets, but family members. I truly feel for you.

Joe
~Joe
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I was one of those who suggested that you should let the kids know about your loss and I stad by my posting. Why shouldn´t you tell. I my opinion you would be surprised how good the kids understand your feelings. Of course you should not let this message set the tone for your show - you are paid to entertain the kids, it is not their job to help you with your loss. So it would be a good idea to let them know what happened but only to explain why there is no buy today - ad then do the best show of your life in memory of your beloved rabbit.

And the idea with Penelopes baby is very good because you ca first let them know that Peelope is not longer alive, but that she left a little gift for you that you want to share with the kids....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Oh, and I understand perfectly your loss: my financee and I we have a "familiy rabbit". Her name is PAULA and she is amazing - like a small dog!

Magixx
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I feel for you and your recent loss. That is never an easy thing to get over and is certainly does take time. Just feel great knowing that you have all those great memories and feel wonderful that she has helped put smles on many a child's face. That is a great memory to have.

I love the baby idea and such. That allows you to present the new bunny and have it make sense to your audience in a fun manner. I do not think it is right to tell he kids of the death and loss of the rabbit. I fear that this sets the wrong tone for the show when you really are there to perform and entertain. As Calexa stated, it is not there job to help you mourn your loss. You are there to have a great time with them and to make their experience the best yet.

I think your idea will work wonderfully for this.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Danny,
I hope I did'nt sound TOO harsh in my earlier post.
I would like to add that one should always be careful of the level of attachment to an animal one has. That's easier said than done, of course! I love my toy collie-shepard mix dog, Rosie. She's the smartest dog I've ever had. She's very loving to my kids and wife, and very loyal and well behaved. I dread the day that she dies. At at the same time, it's always good to keep in mind that animals generally don't have the same life span we do....everyone knows this but it sure is hard to remember this when it happens, right?
Hope your new bunny works out really well for you.
Best wishes,
Chris
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
Quote:
On 2005-09-24 10:35, calexa wrote:I was one of those who suggested that you should let the kids know about your loss and I stad by my posting. Why shouldn´t you tell.
The better question is, why should you tell them? Unless there is a compelling reason, such as the show being for a support group of kids who are there due to grief issues, with support to follow on after (or during) the show, there is no reason (except selfish ones) to tell them. As has been pointed out earlier, you just cannot know every audience member's 'story'. The parents are certainly not bringing them to learn life lessons. . .

The point is moot; Danny has rightly (imEo) decided against this move. I applaud his sensitivity to others while he is in pain. I look forward to hearing how the show went!
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Oliver's very first performance was today. For the past few days I have spent a great deal of time holding him and getting him comfortable with me. I also let him spend some time in the load chamber of the production box I use, to get comfortable with that.

The show today went very well. I was nervous, because I had one new effect I was introducing for the first time, two new presentations for effects I already do, and then the new bunny on top of it all! But like I said, it all went well and the kids loved the baby bunny. Oliver is a natural performer.

The only sad part was on the way to the show, while driving. I caught myself calling Oliver by Penelope's name a couple times, as we drove to the show (yes, I DO talk to my bunny as I drive to gigs! - don't act like you've nevre done it!)

Thanks to everyone for all the nice words and advice on this matter.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Congratulations to the "new star" of your show, Danny!
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Danny, my heart goes out to you. I lost two fine rabbits this last spring. A male and female. I loved those two little guys with all my heart. I now have a young one I am training for a new trick in my act. I hope to have her ready by next spring. Good luck with your new bunny and I know you will do fine with him. I can't imagine doing a magic show with my little rabbits. They just sparkle up the show and the kids love 'em.

Snidini
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1707 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Well done on your new show!!!!

Youve come through a tough week!!

Give yourself a pat on the back-What a trooper

Enjoy your new Mate!!!-Im sure it will be the start of many shows together

cheers!
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Well, well done!

Magixx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The star of my show died tonight... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL