We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ghost cage... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I made a prop I call a ghost cage, its a clear tube that fills with fog and is lit.

Looks very very magical with the swirling smoke inside. I'm looking for effects to do in a club setting for after the ghost is "released"

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a few working ideas now, but several effects linked would be great.

Thanks for everyone's time and thoughts,

Steven
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
Haywire, I like the sound of this. I would use this in a seance setting. Have your spectators write down multiple questions that they would like to have answered by the spirits. They hold onto their questions while you begin calling on the spirits. This is when you would want the tube to fill with smoke. Next, I would find a way to release the smoke BUT I would INHALE the smoke in front of the audience to show that the GHOST is entering me! Now reveal the answers to their questions with a different tone to your voice and they should be sufficiently FREAKED OUT!!!! Please let me know if this is possible with your Ghost Cage (can you create smoke that can be inhaled?).
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
T-RAY I LOVED THE INHALING PART!! I cant stop smiling!!!
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
Thanks pkg. One thing I know is how to put on a show! I'm loving this idea....I don't think it's ever been done.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you have a hidden assistant with an air-zooka, you can blast someone in the audience at the moment of release. It can also be used to extinguish candles. I use this as part of my Ghost Box routine in The Wizards' Journal #4 ( http://magicnook.com/WizJournal/Wizard04-B.htm )

The candles that were extinquished can relight themselves when the ghost evaporates at the end of the routine- self-lighting candles in the same issue of The Wizards' Journal.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
aquariusmagic
View Profile
Regular user
England
122 Posts

Profile of aquariusmagic
Hi I have not tried it but it should be feasible to project a face or whatever onto the smoke using a projector. Albeit it would probably work best if the tube is square rather than round.
regards
Francis
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Aquariusmagic: you can use one of them laser light pen with changing heads, blue would be the color! and it can be done easily...
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Anyone else think this would've made a great Cheech and Chong bit for a movie ?
Cheech and Chong go to a psychic, who introduces them to her very special helper spirit whom she keeps in a special ectoplasmic vessel; she begins the session by letting the ghost out..
Chong, of course, mistakes it for a bong, and quickly inhales the ghost, while Cheech looks on wantingly, "'ey man, doon't bogart it !", and the helpless psychic looks on in wide eyed panic. Chong goes, "Wooowww maan, that's *cough cough* some really good ---- !" and mid sentence, his voice changes dramatically... Smile

I like the airzooka idea, but aren't they a tad noisy when the membrane snaps back ?
I also really like the laser idea, I never thought of trying to use one as a projector before, but, the problem with lasers is, the light is tightly focused, and I'm sure it would project through the smoke and continue on to project on the wall behind, as well. Now, if the "cage" (wouldn't "trap" be a better word ?) is set up more or less against the wall, and the angles are limited, that wouldn't be a problem.. Interesting idea, pkg. I wonder how it would look if you held up a really small "slide" of sorts to form the image, rather than one of those heads, which are kinda limited.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Great ideas guys!

The spirit possession idea has hordes of possibilities T-ray. I have a feeling a fire spirit could possess me right before the fire effects section of the show
and then be put back into the cage at the end of the routine.

That alone could make using the prop worth it, which is almost all I was looking for, a nice eye candy few seconds people will remember. Oh boy a spirit cage!

Thanks guys,

Steven

P.S. Oh sheet man I think I'm possessed!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Would one of these help?

http://tinyurl.com/9r9y8
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
Mytician that would be GREAT! That really seems like a scene. I keep thinking of how fun this would be to do.
Almost Amazing Doug
View Profile
New user
Pullman, WA
78 Posts

Profile of Almost Amazing Doug
**Daemon** Cage:

An unholy fog billows and swirls as it fills up the enclosure. Is that something in the fog? Has something coalesced from the vapor? Better look closer to find out...

There's definitely something hideous and grotesque obscured in the mist. I must summon all of my courage to look...but I can't look away!

The swirling fog is subsiding. I'm sure something was there, but as the vapor slips back from whence it came, so to has the nightmare apparition I glimpsed only moments before.

Well, that would creep me out!

The beast would be a Doug Higley creation, of course! As to method, there are so many possibilities...something along the lines of the old crystal casket production box, black art, revolving back...

One could even add a little puppetry to "enliven" things a bit.

Doug
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Reminds me of "Winter Spirit" by Arlen studios, a little bit.
Neat idea, much more complicated to do (well) though.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Haywire:
What happens when the tube is filled with fog and you slide up a mirror along the center- dividing the tube in half and turning it into a large mirror glass? You could try it with a piece of aluminum foil. Then try shining a laser pen on the fog from the front, and pushing a something into the back of the tube to appear when the center mirror is lowered again. I have no idea if it would work, so you just need to test the idea. If the introduction of the mirror is indetectable, then some possibilities open up. Come to think of it, a white or grey colored cardboard might work as well as a mirror in all that fog.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Back Story stuff...
I once bought a really neat Antique Bronze 'jar'...it had a lid and some scuptureed swirls etc on it and a handle (like a bucket handle). On the bottom around the edge were small slits...so it was obvious that it wasn't used to hold liquid. It was Ancient Chinese so I took it to an expert.

It was a Ghost Catcher! The farmers would hang one of these outside the house by the door...in the night when the restless and displaced spirits were flying about, the air would ender the 'slits' and create a mini tornado inside that would suck the ghosts in with it and trap them in the Bronze Vase...then in the morning it was taken to the Temple (or whatever passed for one) and the Ghosts were restored to their proper place.

Cool huh. I wished I kept that piece...always have my eye peeled for another.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Steven:
Have you seen Bill Abbott's The Thing? Its a beautiful routine and can be easily made to fit.

Tony
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
You could always use a simple thing like a plate lifter, to move the smoke. It's small, easy to conceal, and would give slight shifts in air current that could be quite nice.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Quote:
On 2005-12-19 12:00, Doug Higley wrote:
Back Story stuff...
I once bought a really neat Antique Bronze 'jar'...it had a lid and some scuptureed swirls etc on it and a handle (like a bucket handle). On the bottom around the edge were small slits...so it was obvious that it wasn't used to hold liquid. It was Ancient Chinese so I took it to an expert.

It was a Ghost Catcher! The farmers would hang one of these outside the house by the door...in the night when the restless and displaced spirits were flying about, the air would ender the 'slits' and create a mini tornado inside that would suck the ghosts in with it and trap them in the Bronze Vase...then in the morning it was taken to the Temple (or whatever passed for one) and the Ghosts were restored to their proper place.

Cool huh. I wished I kept that piece...always have my eye peeled for another.

Thank goodness for Dremel Tools Smile
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
"Ugnnhh ? " Ogg puts down his hammer and chisel ...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ghost cage... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL