The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » What Do I Do!!?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicarisimon
View Profile
Regular user
Sherman Oaks
116 Posts

Profile of magicarisimon
I recently got a male dove who I named Columbus. He's a great bird and very sweet. When I came home today I found that Columbus was improperly named. I should have named him Columba because Columbus is a girl. How I found out you ask? Columba laid an egg! My question to all of you is what should I do. Will Columba take care of the baby once it hatches or will I have to take care of it? If I don't want the egg, do I just take it away. Please, HELP ME!
Always in Magic,
Ari Simon
Editor of THE THAUMATURGE
www.thaumaturgenews.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you would do a search you will find this has been answered many times. If you do not have a male dove then the egg will never hatch. Ask your mom about this, it is time for the 'talk'.

Just throw out the egg.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Do you have more than one bird? If not then the egg is a dud. Either way its alright to remove the egg if you don't want it; just gently move the bird and throw away the egg. The bird will look around for a few minutes wondering where the egg went but will go back to normal in a short amount of time.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
magicarisimon
View Profile
Regular user
Sherman Oaks
116 Posts

Profile of magicarisimon
How come the egg is a dud without more than one bird. I don't know much about bird reproduction but doesn't the part that requires two birds come before the egg is laid?
Always in Magic,
Ari Simon
www.thaumaturgenews.com
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
No, a female dove can lay an egg on her own but it won't contain life. For a egg to contain life your right, you need two birds and some luck. I have had many females that lay eggs even though they don't have a mate.

If you have any other questions its really best to go with your parents to the library and get a book on doves to fully understand what's going on with your birds.

Hope this helps.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Hey Guys,
I read this in one of my dove books. A female will / can lay an egg without it being fertilized, and that egg will not hatch. BUT.....If you remove the egg right away, the dove will feel the need to lay another egg.....if this is repeated, the dove can lose iron / proteins and can cause serious health problems. So.....what to do? Simple. Leave the egg. The dove will sit on it for a few days...This satisfies the "nature" side of her. She will then destroy the egg herself and intake some of the "proteins. I have 5 females and this is a cycle they go thru every few months. Just my 2 cents.
T
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Truthfully you should have researched and learned about doves before you ever bought any.

tdowell,You can buy fake eggs.
Daniel Faith
magicarisimon
View Profile
Regular user
Sherman Oaks
116 Posts

Profile of magicarisimon
I actually got the bird as a gift last Saturday. I bought a couple of books online that should arrive tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys.
Always in Magic,
Ari Simon
www.thaumaturgenews.com
tdowell2007
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, IL
267 Posts

Profile of tdowell2007
Hi Daniel,
Excellent idea!!!!! Thank you

T
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
I have 3 doves and they lay eggs all the time and they never hatch. Wish at least one would. Any way I leave them for a few days then take them out. Haven't had to take them to any therapy as of yet.
Wondering do you need to pair dove up by any chance? I have one dove that is getting pecked pretty bad by the other 2 doves. didn't know if this is a mating thing or if they don't want that dove around?
Shawn D
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You have two males in the cage. They are very territorial and will fight and peck each other as they are looking to establish dominance. You need to watch which ones sit on the nest. When they lay eggs, the male will sit on them between 10 AM and 4 PM and then the female will take over for the night. I don't know how they know it's 10 AM but they do. Once you determine which two birds are responsible, you'll know you have a pair. The other bird needs to be removed from the cage.

The average hatching time for an egg is 16-21 days so if you're removing them after just a few days, you may have fertile eggs and not know it.
Where the magic begins
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
>>>You need to watch which ones sit on the nest. When they lay eggs, the male will sit on them between 10 AM and 4 PM and then the female will take over for the night.<<<

That's not always accurate. I once had two females pair up and take turns on a nest. hehe

Cris
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Well, there's always an exception but we're talking about hatching eggs here which requires a male and a female so my information is pretty accurate in determining which is the male. A way to determine if you have females rather than a male and female is by the number of eggs. A single female will lay 1 egg, a male and female lays 2 eggs and two females will give you 4 eggs in most cases.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » What Do I Do!!?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL