The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls and load balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
In your C&B routine, how important is the relationship between the balls and the final load balls? Are the load balls a larger version of the reg. balls? Totally unexpectedly different? I use green felt balls with rubber yellow smiley face final loads and the smileys cause an extra shock. Ideas?
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I agree with Bob Read and several others on this. Contrast is very important. Different colors. Different styles. Different materials. Strange objects.

Produce a sumo wrestler.

Produce a shoe.

I find the Smileys particularly useful when performing in hospital rooms. It makes these people laugh. And they need that.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I have been thinking about the Smiley balls, but have a "dumb" question.

How do you make sure that the "smile" is in the right position when the ball is revealed? Or do you just quickly turn the ball to the right position once it's been produced? SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You don't even worry about it. Just turn the balls. You don't even have to do it quickly.

Or you can put a magnet in your table top and put a thumbtack in each ball.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
I think needing the smile pointing forward is not necessary - but I can relate to your thinking - the need for perfection in all aspects of the routine. I think this is one where the change in color, material, size, texture, and attitude (smiley) is enough......
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
I really like the idea of smileys. I used to produce some globes, talking about how the cups and balls are famous all around the world.

But for the emotional hook... smileys are great.

John
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Some people think the Smileys are corny. They may be. But sometimes "corny" is good.

When I do the chop cup in the hospital, I produce the two smiley balls, then I pick one up in each hand and put them in front of my glasses. This gets another laugh.

Nothing looks much funnier than a well-dressed fat man with a beard and a waxed mustache who is holding some smiley face balls in front of his eyes.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
What are the smiley balls and where do you get them? Can anyone post a picture? Sounds like a pretty cool final load.

Does anyone change their final loads for the season? Like halloween, Xmas, etc.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Go to the cups and balls museum and look at some of the mini cups by RnT II. That will show you what we are referring to.

You can get them from dollar stores and from party supply houses. Also Oriental Trading Co., Rhode Island Novelty Co. and Gumball Machine supply houses carry them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
For those who like the smiley balls and are worried about the orientation, here's a suggestion: Go to a toy store and get a tiny plastic hat (eg, a small cowboy's hat) and glue it on top of the ball. The hat is obviously the top of the ball, so it's and easy matter to find (and keep) the right orientation in your pocket. Also, in the revealtion, the hat should get you an extra chuckle. Then it's just a matter of turning it around to face the right way (which is actually better than if it did face the right way in the first place)... Now the problem is that your cup may not be tall enough to accomodate a hat.
Harold Cataquet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Balls and load balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL