The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What is the shiniest coin you have seen? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Hi
I have read some posts on polishing coins, but are there certain coins that are potentially shinier after polishing? I am looking for the shiniest coin I can find for a misers dream.

Thanks.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Silver, polished smooth, then wiped free of oils is just like a mirror. When wiped with lab grade alcohol, the metal surface is about as reflective as possible. It gets the oils and dirt off so the light bounces off the metal surface. Smile

so there you have it, much easier than fussing with coin polish.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Thanks.
I even thought of making special coins that has a convex surface so that it can reflect light to a large group of audience.

What do you guys think about this?

Please comment.

Thanks.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I have a Peace silver dollar. I started with TarnX to get the tarnish off. Then Wright's Silver Cream. Then I used a dremel tool with a buffing wheel to get buff it to an amazing shine. Then Windex for any oils. By this time I was wearing latex gloves.

Here's the kicker. I bought a brick of solid, pure Brazilian Carnuba wax. Using the Dremel tool and a clean buffing wheel, I picked up some wax. Then I transferred it to the coin, carefully working it in. I started with the tool going slowly so I was sure that I got in every crevasse. Then I turned it on high speed and melted the surface of the wax. I was using the speed of the tool, not hand pressure.

Finally I changed buffing pads to a clean one and buffed it.

I repeated the carnuba wax treatment, putting it on slowly, putting it on at high speed, finally switching to a clean buffing pad, twice every night for a week (this was getting boring).

I did that six months ago and the coin still looks like God held it in his hand.
popec
View Profile
New user
WA, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of popec
Whhhhhhhhhhhhaaaa!!
Insaine Rik! got any pictures of it? A hi res pic would make a nice desktop background! Smile
Monoxide
View Profile
New user
NW Indiana/Chicago
12 Posts

Profile of Monoxide
I have a mexican coin that is almost pure silver it is quite large and heavy 33 grams I believe but the large silver surface when polished is mirror like so I imagine that any silver coin could also be shined as such but the large surface area adds to it I believe.

MONO
Purify my soul change the crows to doves
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Watchout on the polishing. once you lose the natural surface finish, coins start to look strange.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I love highly-polished Silver Eagle dollars - they look very special.

Rik, does the carnuba wax make the coins slippery?

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6924 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I saw a chrome-plated Dollar-sized coin once...about blinded me! LOL!

Doug
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I'll make a picture of the coin tonight. The polishing doesn't seem to have changed the surface of the coin. The TarnX was only on the coin for about 5 seconds or so. I pulled it right out and rinsed it off. I did the Wrights Silver ciream several times, until the coin looked great.

The carnuba was didn't make the coin slippery. This carnuba wax isn't the wax that's used on cars. It's used on the bowl of smoking pipes. I bought a huge block of it on ebay for about $10 I seem to recall. t was really cheap.
popec
View Profile
New user
WA, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of popec
Awesome Rik! Smile
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
After polishing it, it will just go back to the same color in a little while. But the shiniest coin I seen was probably the one that Devo did the coin roll on XB.
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
If you want really shiny coins why don't' you just go buy coins that come straight from the Mint? I am from Australia so I don't know if they call them that in the U.S. Because we are usually just weird.

But yeh, in the Mints you can buy coins literally from the press. I have seen ones where they let you make your own coins.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Cool, so they let you in there?
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
Yeh of course they let you in, well the "shop" part of it anyway.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
My "other" hobby is coin collecting. You might want to go to a coin shop and check out their "proof" coins. These have a highly shined mirror-like finish. They fetch somewhat of a premium price, but not too bad for common coins. A proof Kennedy half dollar will run you under $5 (depending on the year and mint mark). A proof Eisenhower dollar would typically be under $10. By contrast, a proof Peace dollar is extremely rare and will set you back about $35K (that's $35,000!).

One thing to note... these coins are not designed to be handled all the time as you will when doing effects with them. So the coin will not remain in "mint condition." Fingerprints, dings, etc. will inherently reduce the attractive look of these coins over time.

I don't recommend using "collectible" coins, thus ruining them and lowering their value (condition is key), but for the investment of a few dollars, it would be worth trying out.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Also, I forgot...

Cleaning coins is a controversial subject with coin collectors. However, while you're at the coin store, ask for some coin cleaner ("dip"). I don't personnally use it on my collectible coins, but to shine up common circulated coins from your pocket change, it does a nice job of restoring to their new "shiny" state.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What is the shiniest coin you have seen? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.47 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL