The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Chanukah Effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jizmagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Jizmagic
Since Chanukah is coming in a short while, I was wondering what you use in your "Chanukah themed shows".
May the magic be with you!
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I don't have a theme show - I have a magic show and supply entertainment for all occasions and that includes chanuka - the festival of miracles & lights.
Together with that, for anyone who doesn't know about this festival, I would first suggest reading up on it and then you would know that you could incorperate a production of a shandeleir, any effects using candles, you could use axtells "doughnut" puppet or even a dove pan to produce real doughnuts. I made up some large laminated cards with pictures of different foods (except doughnuts) and after showing them all I turn them around ala a night out with the girls trick (pm me if you wish) and eventualy I am left with one card which turns out to be doughnuts which I then proceed to produce from the pan.
Chanuka, like xmas is a time for gifts and candy, so basicly anything sweet and anything that looks like a wrapped gift could be good. Also the use of the word "miracle" throughout the show because, as the story goes, it was a miracle that the small jug of oil found was enough to stay alight for 7 nights.
You could make a routine where you turn a botlle of coke or something into a bottle of oil.
lots of ideas.
enjoy,
Dani
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I making a Mennorah silk set. It includes an unlighted mennorah and a lit one and eight small flame type silks. Have each child put a flame silk with the unlit mennorah silk in a change bag. Now you can produce the mennorah silk lit.

All are on pure 8 momme China Silk. The mennorah silks are 24" square and the small flame silks are 5"

As I am not Jewish, I will not try to write any patter that might offend someone. But I am sure that this will lend itself to upcoming holiday season.

Richard

PS Email me if you like to see a photo and hopefully I will get it up on the web soon.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
Maybe starcle, how many points does it have?
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1143 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Starcle ends with a 5 pointed star. So that probably wouldn't do.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Take a look at this, someone's already thought of this...

http://www.loudini.com/hanukkah-dabra_newedition.htm
MikeBent
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, MA
174 Posts

Profile of MikeBent
Silly Billy just did a great Christmas/ hanukkah lecture as part of a holiday Kidabra lecture, that will be released on DVD from Kidabra soon. There will also be a Halloween DVD as well.
Scott Brussen
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Scott Brussen
As far as I know, Silly Billy's hanukah tricks that are found on the new dvd from Kidabra are the only Hanukah tricks in print anywhere. If anyone has other sources of hanukah material, please share it.

You can buy the dvd only from people who appear on it - Kidabra.com, http://www.sillymagic.com, SPSmagic.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I have a Nearly Normal look at the Holidays for December/January.

This will include use of a Lota, while talking about the oil that burned for 8 days.

Shalom!

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Watch me pull a Rabbi out of my hat... oops!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
magicguy67
View Profile
Loyal user
mEL.fLORIDA
287 Posts

Profile of magicguy67
Good one todsky.I dony do the themed shows unless asked so no I'm not getting any effects.
they thought it was impossible until they met me.

theres no reality in magic

did the magician come before the assistant or the other way around.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Silly Rabbi, trix are for kids...

Sorry I couldn't resist.

(Take off of USA Kids Cereal Commercial)

I was raised Jewish, my wife Catholic. As some of you know, that makes us

Cashews.

Be safe, well and blessed.

Shalom.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Marc Levine
View Profile
Regular user
South Florida
125 Posts

Profile of Marc Levine
My friend Andrew and I actually came up with a Chanukah show running gag... Tell the audience: "Because the miracle of Chanukah happened with milk, I am going to do a trick with milk", followed by a milk pitcher routine. When you are corrected by the audience, pretend to only hear that you were wrong and act as if you did not hear the part about the oil... then say "that's right... because the miracle of Chanukah happened with ketchup, I am going to do a trick with a bottle of ketchup" followed by your favorite neilson bottle routine... You get the idea. At the end, pull out a bottle of wine (nielson) and tell them: "that's right, now I remember,it was wine that the miracle happened with" - and this time when they correct you, respond with: "Oil?? well why didn't you say so?!" and turn the wine bottle into an oil bottle (the smaller oil bottle hidden within the neilson). After producing the oil from the bag, crush up the bag to prove it really did change, and use the oil to light a fire in a dove pan. Now you can produce jelly doughnuts or dradels. Enjoy!
Steinbock
View Profile
New user
Maine
76 Posts

Profile of Steinbock
Here's my Chanukah line-up:

1. Festival of D'Lites (set the mood with basic d'lite routine)
2. Lota Oil (produce copious amounts of yellowish tinted water from a lota vase)
3. Snowstorm in Jerusalem (a tissue-paper with Temple design is torn and dumped into the water from previous trick; then snowstorm is produced the normal way)
4. Where's the shamash? (Production of a lit Fantasio candle in order to light menorah).
5. Miracles Aren't For Sale (I explain that my performance involves "tricks" and that real miracles come from The Holy One. Explain that the Dreidl is a reminder of miracles. I check pockets for dreidle, then I pull out a playing card and do the Hummer Card routine.

The whole act is organized more for showmanship rather than story sequence. It bugs me that I do the Lota Oil routine BEFORE doing the Snowstorm. The story suggests it should be the other way around, but from a staging POV, my order makes more sense.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Chanukah Effects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL