The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Moving on from... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Xiero
View Profile
New user
Michigan
70 Posts

Profile of Xiero
I've soaked up pretty much all of the information that I possibly could from The Royal Road to Card Magic and Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic for card magic... my question is what book(s) should I move onto next, in the Café's opinion, to further my abilities? In other words, what would be a good step to learn more card handling skills? Thanks in advance.

Eric
Sean
View Profile
Loyal user
No Cal
201 Posts

Profile of Sean
Card College
Expert Card Technique
Expert at the Card Table
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
It's hard to beat the above three recommendations, so I second them. I would add that, if you're feeling flush (i.e. with cash) and want to learn some devastating material, get Paul Harris's 3-volume "Art of Astonishment" series, too.
Adam Green
New York, NY
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
268 Posts

Profile of elmago
Joshua Jay
Guy Hollingworth- Drawing room deception
Card College 3 & 4

I depends on what your goal is. Do you want to learn tricks or moves?
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
KaydoWhoa
View Profile
New user
Keystone Heights, Florida
90 Posts

Profile of KaydoWhoa
Anything Dai Vernon
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2005-09-28 11:18, Xiero wrote:
In other words, what would be a good step to learn more card handling skills?

As you mentioned 'Card Handling Skills', I would like to recommend you to watch performances of excellent cardicians. In the books, you can't see any good handling. You only can read good ways of doing them.

To me, Lee Asher is the most beautiful handler of a deck of cards. His handling is very smooth. I believe you can witness how Card Magic can be beautiful.

Of course, Mike Skinner was No.1 in card handling before he left us.

Hideo Kato
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
All good recommendations. But is seems like you are a SERIOUS student, if you've really worked through both books, so I'd have to say that you are an ideal student for the Card Collage series volumes 1 though 4. Volume 5 is great but, in my opinion, optional as an educational tool (I do own and enjoy it!)

Giobbi has done an amazing job creating an almost complete course for serious cardd workers. I've been doing hard core sleight of hand with cards and coins for almost a quarter of a century and I found them a valuable resource and even learned a few new touches and moves.

I say "almost" complete because Giobbi's criteria for inclusion in the series is that every single item be something he actually uses in his professional work. So there are a few "classic" things missing, like "Out Of This World".

Buy the books, one at a time so you don't get tempted to skip around, and study them in order, and by the time you are done you'll know more about card magic (and probably be a better magician) than 90% of the guys you'll meet.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
It's worthwhile to learn Lee Asher's Diving Board DL to add to your arsenal.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I would suggest Buckley's "Card Control".
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2005-09-28 21:08, Hideo Kato wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-09-28 11:18, Xiero wrote:
In other words, what would be a good step to learn more card handling skills?

As you mentioned 'Card Handling Skills', I would like to recommend you to watch performances of excellent cardicians. In the books, you can't see any good handling. You only can read good ways of doing them.

To me, Lee Asher is the most beautiful handler of a deck of cards. His handling is very smooth. I believe you can witness how Card Magic can be beautiful.

Of course, Mike Skinner was No.1 in card handling before he left us.

Hideo Kato
I definitely have to agree with Hideosan but balance your visual enlightenment with good old book knowledge and watch out because too much video watching can produce clones if you catch my drift. Don't lose your identity and sense of style by aping or copying others. Balance is the key. Be yourself. I myself have the Giobbi series I-V and I highly recommend it if you can afford it. There is a wealth of information in those books and the effects are top notch. It is a great reference encyclopedia that you'll always be referring to no matter where you are in your quest of knowledge of card magic! Good luck! Smile

<<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Xiero
View Profile
New user
Michigan
70 Posts

Profile of Xiero
Quote:
On 2005-09-28 21:24, wsduncan wrote:
All good recommendations. But is seems like you are a SERIOUS student, if you've really worked through both books, so I'd have to say that you are an ideal student for the Card Collage series volumes 1 though 4.

Thanks for all of the great ideas, everyone. I was checking out quite a few of those resources and didn't know what would be the best to move on to. I definitely am a serious student, wsduncan, thanks for noticing. I've always had a passion for magic, just didn't have the resources to get into it. I appreciate all of your help, everyone, and know what I need to study next.

Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Moving on from... (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL