The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Rotten latex puppet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RWhit
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of RWhit
I wonder how long those latex and vinyl puppets like Axtells last.Has anyone ever had one long enough to deteriorate? how long did it take?
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
I had an old man Storyteller that remained useable for about 2 years - then it got all gummy and went downhill from there. I have since started making my own puppets and rarely use casting latex. It is a cheap material, but there are better materials out there
Harry the Clown
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Harry the Clown
I have 4 of Axtells puppets. The oldest one is 12 years old and it still looks good!!!
The key is how they are looked afer!
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
A weekly swipe of "Ammor All" will do wonders to extend the life of your Latex puppets...

Prof. Piper
:juggle:
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
RWhit
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of RWhit
A latex expert told me that armour all has the opposite effect.If I was selling latex things then I would recommend armour all too. Cars are not latex . What is the truth
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Q: What is latex and how do I take care of it?

A: Latex is a wonderful natural rubber from trees in Malaysia and Brazil. It is shipped over and mixed with liquids that we cast into our molds to create the wonderful elastic flexible expressive skin our puppets have. Taking care of the latex is easy, just treat the surface with Armor All Protectant (available from us or your auto parts store) about once every 3 months to keep the sun and ozone off the latex and prolong it's life.

http://www.axtell.com/faq.html

This is taken directly from Steve Axtell's website (See Link above)...

Steve Axtell has been in the business of making Latex puppets for a VERY long time...I've taken his advice and it's worked out wonderfully.

Prof. Piper
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
My axtell latex puppets last for about 5 years. Steve Axtell was kind enough to give me a discount when I just ordered the head or hands which I just reconnect to the existing body. I do prefer to paint them myself using an airbrush so I get the skin tone I want.

I feel that latex figures last longer in cold climates. I live in the tropics and I store them in the coolest part of my house with airconditioning.The sun is the worst enemy of latex rubber.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Hi there,
I am a Special Effects artist in the film industry and I work with all kinds of casting materials - including latex. It is not a good idea to use armor-all on latex. It is designed for rubber, hard colored plastics and vinyl. The Armor all company itself does not condone its use on casting latex. Latex is cheap to use and pretty light weight in slip cast form - but it does have a down side; it doesn't last forever. Axtels puppets are reasonably priced in that if you need to replace the latex skins, you can. You get what you pay for; so don't expect a latex puppet to last indefinitely. The best thing you can do is take reasonable care of the latex puppet and when it gets all gummy and rotten - replace it.
Damien666
almagic
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of almagic
Well, to my point of view is... by the time your puppet spoilt, you have make more than enough from the puppet to get a new one already.. Smile
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Anyone know how to spray an old latex puppet so it will be preserved and can be placed on a shelf for ever.....
I think someone told me a shelac exists that could be used?.....
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Unfortunately, latex degrades and it is basically a matter of time thing. There really isn't anything you can add to latex after it has been cast to make it last forever. For something like that - the piece would need to be originally cast out of a different material that does last for a long time sitting on a shelf(ie: silicone)
So, once it starts to go - there's really nothing that can be done - take some good pictures I guess.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Has anyone tried shelac or polyurethane....? How do you spell that word? I have a few I made and want to display them on my wall....
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I worked in a haunted house for 7 years. Of course, most of the masks I used were made from latex. I have had some latex masks for 10+ years and they are still fine. Of course, these masks spend most of their time in storage. I clean them with alcohol to disinfect them, I alloy them to air dry, then I dust them with a light coat of baby powder. After that I lightly stuff the mask with paper and store them in plastic storage boxes.

Maybe it's the fact that they are stored away most of the time, out of the heat and sunlight. Whatever the reason, I have had great success with this method. I have yet to have one rot or degrade. I have never tried using Armour All and I don't intend on it unless I get some documented proof that it works without harming the latex.

I hope my Axtell puppets will last as long as my masks have.

Regan
Mister Mystery
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-09-29 13:21, Professor Piper wrote:
Q: What is latex and how do I take care of it?

A: Latex is a wonderful natural rubber from trees in Malaysia and Brazil. It is shipped over and mixed with liquids that we cast into our molds to create the wonderful elastic flexible expressive skin our puppets have. Taking care of the latex is easy, just treat the surface with Armor All Protectant (available from us or your auto parts store) about once every 3 months to keep the sun and ozone off the latex and prolong it's life.

I had always wondered about the Armor All, and for a specific reason: When I read the ingredients, it said that it contains alcohol. My understanding is that alcohol has a detrimental effect on Latex. That is where I had a hard time swallowing that lump of advice about using Armor All. it just did not add up in my mind, knowhutimeen?

Please help me understand how I am wrong wrong about the alcohol, and allay my fears, and I will run down to the store right now and buy a bottle, because, honestly, I would hate to see my Axtell birds deteriorate. That's money down the drain, ya' know!

http://www.axtell.com/faq.html

This is taken directly from Steve Axtell's website (See Link above)...

Steve Axtell has been in the business of making Latex puppets for a VERY long time...I've taken his advice and it's worked out wonderfully.

Prof. Piper

That is where I ran into a problem. I read the ingredients on the Armor All bottle, and I found out it was alcohol based.

My understanding is that alcohol has a detrimental effect on latex.

Please correct me! I hate the thought of my Axtell birds rotting!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
I have had Vern for 3+ years and it looks like the day I bought it (the latex anyway) I use the armorall wipes
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Ahem....Armorall company has always supported Axtell Expressions use of Armorall on rubber and for 25 years has been working with us. Here is the Frequently ask question on their site.... http://www.armorall.com/faq/pages/protectant.html#faqtop

Q: Can I use Armor All® Protectant on rubber?

A: Yes. Armor All Protectant products are specially designed to protect, clean and shine rubber surfaces. Using Armor All Protectant regularly is an easy way to help protect your rubber surfaces from cracking, UV damage, fading or discoloration.

Further someone said it contained alcohol, make sure you are using their ARMORALL PROTECTANT as we direct.

The ingredients of Armorall Protectant are:

Cas: 7732-18-5
RTECS #: ZC0110000
Name: WATER
% Wt: 50 - 99

------------------------------
Name: SILICON EMULSION
% Wt: 0 - 50

-----------------------------
Cas: 50-70-4
RTECS #: LZ4290000
Name: SORBITOL
% Wt: 0 - 10

------------------------------
Name: ARMOR ALL CONCENTRATE
% Wt: 1 - 5

The source of the MSDS sheet for Armorall is

http://www.emedco.com/emed2/resource/msd......pf=cbsjn
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Nuff Said!!

Thanks Ax!

Prof. Piper

P.S...Love the ligtbulb...That going to be a new puppet?
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
Steve you must have some latex puppets that have been around for years, in your estimation if properly cared for how long should my vern last.

PS: Thank you of all my most prized props many bare the name Axtell

Keep em coming Topper
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Not to flog a dead horse... but
I got this email from the Armor All Company itself after inquiring about the use of armor-all on latex directly.

"Thank you for contacting us about Armor All Protectant - Original. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

We would not recommend that it be used on latex. It is designed for rubber, hard colored plastics and vinyl.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Patti Copper

Consumer Response Representative

Consumer Services"

I realize that latex is a very specific type of rubber (different types of rubbers have different fillers and additives and chemical compositions), but if the Armor All people themselves say they don't recommend it's usage on latex specifically - I tend to believe them.
Please understand that I am not in any way attacking Steve Axtels puppets. They are fine puppets for the price - but they do not last forever; latex degrades over time. When it needs replacement, get it replaced. From what I have heard, Axtel will replace the latex parts for a cheaper price - so don't let the fact aht latex rots turn you away from getting Axtels puppets. Nothing lasts forever...
Donnie W
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Donnie W
H everyone new to this part of the forum. Need to use the scroll more Smile I have several Axtell puppets 6-7 yrs old. Keep the stored in an closed container in the dark, and the look good as new. I think the sunlight light is harmful 73 Donnie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Rotten latex puppet (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL