The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Rotten latex puppet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Good discussion.

Not only does it protect latex but it brightens the surface which over time will dull. The Armorall will bring it's orginal sharpness back.

For years some employees of the ArmorAll company has not only known about our use of it on latex puppets but even provided me with free sample packets to hand out to customers. It's an alternative use of their product.

Anyway, while they now say they don't "recommend" it, it does not contain alcohol and we've used it for 25 years. We have tested the results during that time and our findings are simple. If treated with Armorall, latex lasts longer. The sun, UV and ozone are enemies of latex and protection helps prolong the life.

There are alternative rubber protectants out there that will do the same thing, so I will do some more research and provide what we find.

Please understand that while I recommend protecting it, that all latex will eventually die. It's just that you get more usable years out of the puppet with protection.

Speaking of horses, we make a great latex Horse puppet. http://www.axtell.com/farm.html

Enjoy!

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Another thought on this is that not all latex is created equal. We have worked hard over the years with chemists to formulate a superior product. The slip latex we make has enhanced UV protection and contains no fillers as does common "mask latex". Common latex has fillers to cause the wall thickness to build up in the molds. This is usually clay or chalk which, as a side-effect causes the latex to break down by drying out prematurely. Some mask companies count on this planned obsolescene so that they can resell the sames masks every 1-2 halloween seasons. Our formula will make puppets that typically last 3-8 years or longer (I've got some 20 years old on display) depending on the care they receive. We have also priced our products with this in mind. If they lasted forever we could easily get $1000-2000 each for them. As we have in the past, we will continue to work on improving the characters, the formulas, our customer service etc. a little bit every day.

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Hey Steve I was wondering if that other stuff you mentioned to me on the phone was ready ...The alternate to latex stuff for people who are allergic to latex.......
Your puppets are fantastic !!
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Cardone,

Thanks for the kind words. We are testing some alternative materials and will keep you posted. However, no matter what material is used, there are people who are allergic to it. It's a wacky world isn't it? Usually people who have allergies to latex do not have reactions to cast latex products like our puppets. Most are from dip-manufactured latex gloves that have a release talcum powder put onto them. The powder carries the latex protein and makes it airborne and easily skin absorbed by alleric folks. Hey an interesting fact...someone pointed out that my last name AXTELL contains the word LATEX....I hadn't ever seen that before. Pretty cool eh?

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
JimmyD
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of JimmyD
I own Steve's 'Vern the Bird' puppet and keep it stored in a plastic storage drawer(stackable kind from Walmart) and it has kept in Perfect condition. It even has the scent of fresh manufacturing after it's many uses. I am so pleased with how well it holds up. Of course, it definately will matter on how you treat it. I have not used any lubricants on 'Vern' since I bought him over 3 years ago.
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
I have several Axtell puppets that I've had for several years and they are as good as new. I haven't done anything to try and preserve them either. However a friend of mine, like Damien666, also had the old man / storyteller puppet and it deteriorated pretty badly.

Joe H
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Joe and others.... if you hear of someone who has a deteriorated latex puppet please have them contact us. We can replace just the head for a reasonable fee. Puppets like the Storyteller get more wear because of the awesome facial expressions you can get out of them with the full face movements.

I have offerred Damien the same. We're here for you.

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Stve Axtell said:
"Cas: 50-70-4
RTECS #: LZ4290000
Name: SORBITOL
% Wt: 0 - 10"

mmmm...Sorbitol! No wonder my Pelican tasted so good!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
I must publicly acknowledge Steve Axtell's incredible Customer service. If you use Axtell's puppets - be confident that you are using puppets built by a very good company that goes way beyond that call of duty.
Steve's offer to replace parts for a lesser fee makes latex rotting a non issue. Thanks Steve, for being the business person you are.
Damien666
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Thanks Damien, we really do work hard to earn and keep our customer loyalty. Doug - FYI, eating the puppet voids the warranty.

The flexibility and skin like quality of latex has always been one of the big features to the thousands that use our puppets. But of course it's not just the material the audience will care about. So, it's the "characters" that really bring it home. The great sculpture and design that produce a stong comedy personality, and in the hands of talented perfomers makes for great entertainment. That's the real goal. To demonstrate this, we've recently put up over 40 new video clips on the website http://www.axtell.com Click on the photos and you'll go to the idea pages which have a TV set on them. The videos will demonstrate the characters. For example, here is our Mr. Tucker the Turtle: http://www.axtell.com/video/turtle.mp4

Rest assured on the technical side, that we will continue to improve and offer the best, strongest, most durable materials available, but equal to the commitment will always be innovation and creative characters that help make you successful in your shows. Great discussion.
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
I've had my Axtell bird and book for almost ten years without any application of solvents of any kind. I keep them in the closet, in a drawer, out of the sunlight.

I bought an antique wooden head, a Turner figure circa;1940, once owned by Max Therhun. When I recieved it I was immediately repulsed by it. Being chemically sensitive, there was enough colone imbedded in the wooden control stick to gag a maddam at a house of ill repute.

These colones and after shaves and hand lotions have chemicals, mainly toluene, that have an everpresent detrimental effect on molicules. Almost like acid with an everready charge that just keeps on going. These chemicals will work their way into the latex and just keep devouring it like a cavity in a tooth. Same with your own cells.

Supprisingly to you, toluene can be an inactive ingredieant in some talk powders, mostly used to hold fragrances to particulate matter.

If you want to keep your props in good order, keep the vanity fragrances for the cast party afterwards. Maybe not even then, who knows who may be chemically sensitive.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
wolfsong
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of wolfsong
I have had allergic reactions to halloween masks can anyone tell me if latex puppets are made from the same material. I am not allergic to latex gloves.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Dr. Solar talked about oils on the hand, I wonder if using a handliner or a cotton glove would prolong a puppets life? The best known of all latex puppets,The Crypt Keeper, would fittingly rot away every year.
I would like to thank Amanda at Axtell for going out of her way to help me with a problem yesterday; they are a quality act.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Axtell sells the headliners, and I'm sure they would help to keep some oil from the hands off of the latex.

Wolfsong, the headliners might even help you if you have an allergy problem. Don't hold me to that, but if your problem is not too severe, they would probably help keep your hand from contacting the latex as much.

Regan
Mister Mystery
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Wolfsong....
We have a Vinyl Vern puppet http://www.axtell.com/birds.html
that does not contain latex....and a vinyl gorilla http://www.axtell.com/jungle.html

Steve Axtell
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Rotten latex puppet (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL