The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Card tirkcs...are they worth it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2005-10-03 02:18, Dannydoyle wrote:

Jaz, could you then tell me why he mentions a salt shaker? I don't find a lot of people carrying those arround in my part of the country. As a matter of fact I have been all over MOST of the country and world for that matter and NEVER found anyone with one. Never really asked but still.
You are much more likely to find a deck of cards rather than a salt shaker.

Hahahah. I hear ya Danny.
MaGiShN46 also said,
"This is why I stay away from card tricks and only do magic with objects like stuff they would carry around or something you could buy ie. a pen or salt shaker."

I didn't understand the last few words but it read like MaGiShN46 was looking to do magic with things, other than cards, that can be borrowed, carried by laypersons and easily recognized as everyday objects.

A while back I posted a list of items that I thought were common, everyday things that some magi would want to use in their impromptu magic or apparently impromptu magic. It's here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=52

Personally, I could get really finiky and suggest that unless you're in an environment where elastic bands are used, why would you have a dozen on your wrist.

Recently Jaxon, a Café' member here was asking about effects with a straw and a dollar bill and also seems to think a lot about impromptu type magic because of the stuff he sells. I think it's a good thing to know as much impromptu stuff as you can, including cards.

Best to ya,
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Yea, I'm still hoping to find more tricks with a straw and dollar bill. So far no takers.. Smile

Here's my take on this discussion. As Jax just mentioned. I do a lot of magic with common everyday objects. I say "everyday objects" but to me it doesn't matter if I got it out of my pocket, grabbed it off the table or picked it up off the floor. They see it. They know what it is with no explanation. It's a common everyday object. Cards to fall into that category I've never pulled a deck of cards out and had someone ask me what it was.

I do a lot of card tricks too but I rarely use any move that's harder then a top change, card control and a double lift. You all know how many things can be done with just these simple moves. This is only my personal preference but these moves are more useful to me because they don't look like anything unusual is happening. The trick doesn't happen until the card is found, changes or whatever the conclusion is.

It's the tricks that are done with common objects that get the best reactions though. At least in my experience. They make a "Card trick" look more like a "magic act." Let's say I had a card selected, signed and lost in the deck. I might put the deck down and do a trick with the marker because it just happens to be in my hand. This also serves as time misdirection so they have no idea where the card is anymore then I do (they don't know it's on top of the deck of course). Pick up the deck and do one phase of my card routine. Put the deck down as they react. Pick up a lighter that happens to be sitting on the table and do a trick with that. Incidentally I might have even put the lighter on the table myself as I was emptying my pocket to find my deck of cards.

This is how I use card tricks when I use them. They are the tricks I'm presenting but it's all the other tricks I'm doing with money, lighters, cigarettes and what ever I happen to see or have that are really giving them a show.

The bottom line is I'm there as an entertainer. The objects I use are a part of my show. It doesn't have to fit in everyday life. Seeing something they aren't use to seeing isn't really a give away unless they don't know what it is. If it's something they don't know of it'll have to be described to them. If they can't comprehend that then it might be a little suspicious to them. But if you're entertaining then that won't matter.

Like I said. This is all just my style. I'm sure it won't fit everyone.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I am often amazed when people say that "lay" people don't like card tricks.
Anyone who ever saw the "Professor" or Roger Klaus caress a deck of cards knows exactly what I mean.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Card tirkcs...are they worth it? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL