The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Here's 2 $100s (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Wsduncan,

Yes that's exactly it. Thank you for pointing that out! If everyone was able to distinguish that point as you just did, I think magic would be one step towards advancing in a major way. I wonder if I knew what I was doing at the time! Again thanks!

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Got one, never two. Why would they give two?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
A place to tell stories and experiences from shows, tours or performances you have done. No questions, advice, or theories...just stories!
Amazing Dick
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Amazing Dick
The best tip I got was "always close a matchbook cover before striking".
Peace Out !
Amazing Dick
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Years back at the old "Forks Hotel" I worked this table that had two couples. When finished, the one guy pulled a couple hundred dollar bills from his wallet, started to hand them to me...the other guy insisted he take care of me so guy #1 puts his money away. I'm thinking man...this is going to be good as guy #2 is going to top guy 3#! Well guy #2 hands me the tip rolled up...3 bucks!!! I really felt insulted so I handed him back the money and told him he could probably use it to help pay for his tux rental. Well guy # was so embarrassed that before they left...he walked back in the kitchen (where all the magicans hung out) and gave me 500 bucks! Like a dummy...I refused to accept it. However, it did turn out to be a good thing as he booked me for several affairs after that paying some serious cash!

Mike
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
One night, not to long ago, I was filling in at O'Donovan's (used to be Schulein's) and Jay Marshall had stopped by for a beer with a couple of friends, whom I didn't know. One of them had just purchased a number of medals from Jay for a rather spectacular amount of money.

Needless to say, I pulled out all the stops, even doing the midmade bill and purse routine as a closer, which got a laugh out of Jay! THAT made my MONTH!. Well, the fellow who had bought the medals shook my hand and left a "little something" in it.

It was only later that I realized that it was a $100 bill.

Jay told that story at the Sankey lecture later that month. Embarrassed the pogees out of me.

The only other time that something like tht happened was in a bar in Southfield, Michigan. The patrons were all Middle Eastern and YOUNG, just over drinking age (maybe). After doing the linking rings, one of the guys offered me $500 for the set. After he showed me a passable 3 card monet toss, I parted with my spare set (actually a set of three rings form an old Corinda's Powers of Darkness package - real cheap-o rings) and he was delighted!

I wound up giving him lessons for about six months, too, Nice kid.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of glatner
50 pounds is not $175. More like $80-110
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
256 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
Quote:
On 2005-10-03 00:03, Snidini wrote:
Frank, I am guessing this could only happen in California. Ok, it may happen in Monaco also. In the real world, the average person's wages would keep the average tip much lower than this amount stated. For most performers, a dollar or maybe five would be the norm but to get $100 would even be a stretch. Anyway, it's just my 2 cents.

Snidini

I must admit I have never gotten 2 Hundreds in one show but I have gotten $100 bills more than once. It happen in place other than California. One last Fall at The Texas Renaissance Festival and another at a comedy club in at Camp Lajune in NC. Both were greatly appreciated and unexpected. If it would only happen every time I pass the hat. The norm for me does seem to be 5's, 10's and 20's.
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Glatner, your right.
Made a typo, but the edit feature on a post dissappears after while. Although I have seen over $2 to the pound.

Mike Gallo, that was a great story. Shows you what conviction can do to impress someone. You must of been real tempted to take the 500.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Stinkfist
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Stinkfist
I have never recieved anything close to that amount.
I recieved two 5 dollar bills for doing ghost bills with them.
and once I vanished a guy's quarter.he told me if I can do it again with his 2 dollar coin I can keep the coin. one wave his coin is gone.
that's about it I think.
Tysmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Tennessee
171 Posts

Profile of Tysmagic
I've gotten $150 before, but never $200 all in one shot (over a period of time from this guy I've gotten well over $200, but never all at once). It was close to midnight and the majority of the people are drunk at this local bar I go to. Now, I'm underage so I'm not susposed to be in there, yet my magical skills keep me in there pretty late. So I perform for this group of people, which I enjoy doing magic for drunk people. They're a lot of fun. So this guy walks up, I know him pretty well and I know it doesn't take much to get him wasted. He tries to tip me, tip me pretty well, but I know he is drunk and I don't really want to take that much from a drunk guy. But he has to give it to me (I don't want to upset him either because even though I can't drink and haven't experienced this I've heard that drunks can get mean) so he sticks it down my shirt, which is fine, but my shirt is tucked in so I can't get it and I eventually forget about it. Later that night, I'm getting ready to go to bed and I'm counting the tips I made, I did pretty well until I took of my shirt and did I hit the jack pot. The cash the guy had shoved down my shirt fell onto the floor all crumpled up so I didn't realize how much it was until I picked it up. Needless to say that guy really made my tip money jump up really quick. It went from about a hundred or so to two hundred and fifty something. God bless the drunks, I know that isn't really a right thing to say, but someone needs to say it.

Cheers!
TAOBMAETS 666 or 999 Steamboat
Jimmy Arson
View Profile
New user
New paltz, NY, USA
8 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Arson
I'll leave the two 100$ for Johnny Scarne....
-Jimmy Ace
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Did a two hour gig yesterday afternoon and got a $100 tip. Which was more than one third of what the agent is paying me.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
131 Posts

Profile of Edith
I got some chocolate easter eggs once... from my mom...

Edith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Here's 2 $100s (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL