The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tissue Paper Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I've used the search function and haven't found much on tissue paper magic outside of 'starkle' which I already know. Anyone have any idea's or sources for further information? I'm looking for something different and not anything like the 'paper balls over the head', 'spring flower production', or any type of 'mouth coils' or 'flash paper'.

Thanks in advance.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Dutch illusionist
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
96 Posts

Profile of Dutch illusionist
TT magic, maybe a dancing hank routine?
Sorry I don´t know sources about it.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Magical greetings,

Dutch illusionist
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Thanks a lot but Im looking for something other than TT magic or any IT magic.
:)
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Here is the effect as I remember it - you can work out a way of how to do it.
Magician produces a large hand fan and opens it and flourishes it. Then from brings out a tissue - from packet, or pocket - and shows it open, both sides. Rolls the tissue into a ball. Then holding it in his fingertips,tears off bits. Uses the fan to lift up the first few and they turn out to be butterfly shapes. Then he tears more of the tissue ball apart and using the fan to lift the torn shapes into the air, suddenly the air is full of butterflies that he keeps suspended up in the air as a dramatic show.
Junior School kids loved it - showy!
The presentation makes the magic.
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Something that works great on my kid-shows, but which I know a lot of magicans doesn't like, is:

McBride has a routine with a mouth coil and tissue paper on his DVD "Magic on Stage - The Commando Act". A great effect and children (aswell as adults) loves it. It playes big and you can make as much as you want out of it. Depending on your presentation it can be funny, bizarre, wierd, hysterical or plane magic.

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
kcedelcycib
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of kcedelcycib
The Selective Touch from Houdini's 'Paper Magic' is a pretty use of colored tissue paper. Kinda like Hindu Sands only with tissue paper and no water.

Another pretty one is Bewildering Tissues from Wil Blyth's 'Paper Magic'. If I'm recollecting proper, it's a 'Sun&Moon' style effect.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Paper Balls over the head?
Torn and Restored?
Tissue Paper to egg?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Thanks for the idea's, a few I didn't think of and the Hindu Sands idea sounds like something to look into. I'm still interested if anyone knows of anything other effects that could mainly be used for stage.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Check out the Table of Contents on Eleazar Goodenough's book "Tear-Able Magic" on my site. You might find some things of interest there. All of his ideas for paper tears are usable on stage.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
AndrewBarbour
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of AndrewBarbour
Check out Martin Lewis's Making Magic Vol 2. A very nice two color torn and restored tissue effect. Better for older kids I would say. I am going to be adding it to my shows for the 7-9 yr old age group.

Good luck!
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Spellbinder I'll look at your site, thanks.

Thanks to all for the references.
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
Can most torn and restored newspaper effects be performed using large sheets of tissue paper? Or would the gimmicked parts show through the tissue, whereas the printing of a newspaper covers it? I guess it would depend on the method.

I use Alex Elmsley's version - I'll have to see how it looks with tissue.

- Steve
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I think that the folds would just be to small and back lighting would show the gimmick. I found that Lance Burton has a good torn and restored tissue paper that he preformed on 'The Science of Magic' TV show. Its simple, to the point, and has a kicker ending. (Kind of like the silk in egg effect)
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Once again, Eleazar Goodenough to the rescue. His "Ultimate Newspaper Tear" could be done using tissue paper as well as newspaper with no see-through problems. It's the last chapter in his book "Tear-Able Magic; Paper Magic for Wizards."
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1705 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I close every larger shows at Halls or Malls etc with "Snowstorm in china" after my finale effects

Using tissues & 2 glasses

Always gets a great reaction

Check its ok to get confetti on the floor beforehand & you have a great magic effect that plays big-packs small

I agree with Ark- Mouth coil & tissues also plays well as seen by Jeff McBride
johnnymagic
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of johnnymagic
The tissue trick that is like the hindu sands but more like a snow/confetti effect that I use is called the Sahara Casket. I have one and it is a great trick. I only can use it when it is OK to make a mess but of course I clean up the colored snow/ confetti after the show. If you go to http://www.daytonamagic.com and search for sahara casket you can see a picture and description of the effect.
Out of all the magicians I know, you're one of 'em...

www.johnnymagicmemphis.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tissue Paper Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL