The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Wilson vs. Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13720 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
No doubt, Greg's material is stronger in the general sense...that's why you have the trade off of having to put in more practice time. You know..the old adage about "no pain no gain " applies to magic as well as pumping iron.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
Thanks for the help.
I have gone ahead with AA and am darn glad that I did!!
NYillusionist
View Profile
New user
New York
24 Posts

Profile of NYillusionist
I agree. I love both Sankey and Wilson's work, but in my opinion you have to ask yourself how much time you would be willing to put into learning and practicing the sleights. Wilson's tricks seem to have a much bigger punch, but his sleights tend to be more difficult to master. Whereas Sankey's sleights are a bit more "practical" and easier to get the hang of. Though when all is said and done, I can't say anything bad about either of them. Smile
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
On the spot is NOT THE ONLY work Greg has produced you know.
I have both Sankey's workS and Wilson's workS.
I won't say much now, but at least ONE thing I notice is that Wilson never repeats - you can bet that when you get his On the Spot, you wont see tricks from his Off the Cuff.

Jay Sankey on the other hand...... the principles that I see in ONE DVD is over everywhere. Just from the demo tapes.

However, I am aware that he was under pressure to produce more and more dvd's .

Material wise, both are exquisite. You can't really argue one's better than other. It ahs to suit your performing style.

I like some of Greg'stuff adapted however, as they are more hands-on to the spectators.
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
257 Posts

Profile of trickychris
What is the title of jay sankeys dvd in above conversation? I've tried magic anywhere anytime and can't find it?
LordPH
View Profile
Regular user
Suomi
189 Posts

Profile of LordPH
This is first time when I really can´t say which one is better.
Sankey´s material is usually easy, working and practical, but many of his tricks looks so same.
Greg got more visually and different kind of material but...
Grrrh...
Forget the first sentence. I Vote For G. Wilson!
(48%/52%)

Smile
Lucas Ace

Ultimatemagic.Net
Helsinki Street Team
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
Defenately Wilson ... but then again, there are also few good things to find from Sankeys repertuare.
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Both Greg Wilson and Sankey are good in their own way so most of it is part of personal preferance.

Here is the way I see it:

-Greg Wilson has performed a lot more than Sankey.

-Most of Greg wilson's dvds are performing for REAL people, and Sankey performs in
a studio in EVERY dvd except Front Row Sankey and sankey live.(the very best of jay sankey doesn't count cuase that's for the L&L audience).

-Greg wilson's dvds are much better produced and filmed than sankey's

- sankey has a lot more routines on dvd than wilson but there is a lot of repetion

- on the spot and anytime anywhere are both good. I feel that the only way you can accurately say which one is better is buy taking the material out to the real world, not by judging which one looks better on a camera.

- greg wilson's material is a lot more original than sankey I feel

- overall greg wilson's dvd are MUCH better quality in magic and production than sankey

- greg wilson has been doing magic longer and thinks about magic a lot more than sankey

- I think that greg wilson has more chops and has better skills than sankey for close-up magic in general

- that main complaint about sankey is that he produces WAY TOO MANY dvds and repeates material to much. the only time I can think that greg wilson has repeated stuff was on his In Action! set by L&L pub, but they were improvements that were noticeable that in some cases made the magic better. sankey repeats the same move and in several cases the same trick and routine

- there is some good stuff from Sankey, but its hard to find because its scattered among all the dvds. I would be very happy if he took all the best stuff from all the 101 dvds and put them on 2 or 3. then I think a lot of other people including me would think more highly. Until then I think the very best of sankey by L&L is his best gig so far.

there are many others statement like these, but that's enough for now.

I recommend you get them both. anytime anywhere has a lot of material, and on the spot has less.

its a question of style and quantity vs. quality

good luck
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Going completely off topic for just 1 second but relating to the last line in my posts(quantity vs. quality)

a perfect example of quality vs. quantity is card fictions by pithartling(7 tricks) versus jay sankey's last book written by jon racherbaumer(84 tricks). I don't even have to think twice about that decision.
mmize
View Profile
New user
Kansas
65 Posts

Profile of mmize
Quote:
On 2006-02-14 23:49, clamon86 wrote:
- greg wilson has been doing magic longer and thinks about magic a lot more than sankey

How can you realistically make claims like that? You have no way to support a statement like that.

Anyway, I won't spend too much time restating what's already been said. I do own both DVD's (On the Spot, Anytime, Anywhere)and they are both quite good and worth adding to any magicians collection.

Personally I perform more material from Sankey's DVD. One point I can make that I don't think has been mentioned is that Sankey's DVD contains a wider variety of work that employs different items/props. The collection includes: business cards, coins, rubber bands, cards, pens, matches, rings, and more. Whereas Wilson's work is a majority of coin work, one pen effect, and a ring trick.
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Jay has been doing magic way, way longer than Greg Wilson. Jay Sanky is a pioneer in close-up magic. I have known Greg Wilson a long time and I have had the fortune of watching him grow as a performer, Even though we had many differences in the past. I think anyone who knows Greg Wilson also knows that he would NOT be the magician/performer he is without knowing Jay Sankey and his early works like 100% Sankey and the many effects Jay contributed to Richards Almanac in the early 80's. Don't get me wrong here Greg I am sure has many other influences in magic but I bet if you ask him he will say Jay was one of them. I first met Greg in 1993 we worked together in 1994 and now that I am back in the biz, I am looking forward to renewing our friendship.

RJ
Later & Out
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
742 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
I HAVE JUST FINISHED WATCHING THE SECOND SECRET FILES BY SANKEY, THE ONLY SANKEY DVD I HAVE NOT SEEN AND I THINK THE GUY IS SOMETHING ELSE. I LOVE HIS EFFECTS I JUST THINK AS A PERFORMER YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THE STYLE OF PERFORMANCE AS THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE JAY SANKEY..... SANKEYS EFFECTS ARE GREAT POWERFUL AND THEY WORK!!

I HAVE ONLY SEEN GREG WILSON IN ACTION 1-2-3 AND I FOUND SOME OF THE MATERIAL ON THE DVDS A BIT SLOW, BUT BETWEEN THE NOT SO GOOD BITS THERE ARE SOME GREAT EFFECTS.

I don't THINK YOU CAN COME TO A DESISION WHICH OF THE 2 IS BETTER AS THEY ARE BOTH VERY VERY GOOD, I PERSONALLY WOULD CHOSE SANKEY STUFF OVER WILSON HOWEVER I AM NOT SAYING HE IS BETTER, I PERSONALLY JUST LIKE SANKEY THINKING!!

aSH
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Just from the dvds, I think Greg is a better performer and since he performs for real people its pretty accurate.

I think Sankey and wilson both have some good stuff. But sankey has too much bad stuff from some of his other dvds. I think Rev. card magic was crap, and rec. coin magic was stuff mainly for magicians. And if you put out 20 dvd in 1 or 2 years you know there wil be a lot of filler.

I think Sankey best stuff are:

dvds

The Very Best of Jay Sankey
some of Secret Files and sankey-tized

tricks
in a flash

books
unleashed is ok, and beyond secrets was somewhat thought provoking but not organized as a book

for greg wilson, his on the spot was ok, and In Action was very good practical magic. His other dvds were good as well. And like I said before the dvd quality is MUCH MUCH BETTER than all of sankeys.
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Wilson's material definitely outweighs Sankey's in every way. Not only do you see him perform to an audience, as someone mentioned above, but his teaching style is so much more pleasant to sit through. Sankey's humour is so grating that at times it forces me to sit up and turn him off. As far as the material, he relases so much of it, that at least half is filler. All of Wilson's stuff is strong and usable...all.
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Raphlo2- I agree for the most part with what you are saying. I think Wilson is better than Sankey, but Sankey has had tom good stuff. The hard part with Sankey is that he has put out so much material in such a short period of time that its hard to filter out all the weak magic. That is why I listed what some of his better stuff is in my above post. With wilson its easier because he has less than 10 dvds out each containing more better material.
Also Wilson has created some original stuff, but Sankey has mostly improved upon was it already out there. Mainly he added to Topper, Himber/Sankey count, Tenkai Pennies, erdnase change, and the Ed Marlo spin change, none of which are his.
As far as my knowledge Greg Wilson was among the first people to make a whole routine with a pen with a routine that really builds, he pitch and ditch is not revolutionary but he has made it unique to him, a bunch of his other routines are a lot more original than Sankey.

I think the best stuff of sankey as I listed before we mostly his first put out stuff. His issue of Richard's Almanac is good, and I think the best of sankey by LLpub is the best so far because it covers all of his better earlier material. And for those who actually like Rev. cArd magic, all the best stuff from that dvd are on the best of sankey. Sankey-tized and Secret files are good also, mainly because there a few strong effects in there. Everything else I'm not to sure about.

The statement that raphlo 2 made:

"All of Wilson's stuff is strong and usable...all. "

Although I think Greg Wilson is good, that a hard statement to say, for anyone.Everyone is different, and as the old saying goes, "What is one man's trash, is another man's treasure." (and vice versa).

For me I think most of the stuff on the In Action series is awesome, some of the routines in On the Spot I would never do(pickpocketing and the lipstick trick).

It all depends on who you are.
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
Lately, it seems the doctors have upped Sankey's Ritalin dosage. His edge doesn't grate as much lately, but admittedly, there's still an edge.

Greg Wilson's a great magician, but I don't see him producing anything to rival Sankey's "Create Your Own Magic" which is the DVD I'd recommend before assembling a routine, no matter whose individual effects you might settle on.

Regards,

-jjg
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I think I would have to say they are both as good as each other. They are 2 of my favorite magicians. I cant choose betwenn one or the other.
mmize
View Profile
New user
Kansas
65 Posts

Profile of mmize
Quote:
On 2006-03-01 23:22, clamon86 wrote:
I think Rev. card magic was crap, and rec. coin magic was stuff mainly for magicians.

Who was it supposed to be for? Lion Tamers? Opera Singers? Chinese Chefs?
whizzomagic
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Ky
109 Posts

Profile of whizzomagic
If you want to learn great impromptu magic, get both. But if you can only have one:

Sankey's Anytime, Anywhere if you want the most value for your money.

Wilson's On the Spot if you want to watch a hot chick in a tight dress during most of the explanation sequences.

I like the Wilson DVD!!!!!!
Noel D
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Noel D
I didn't really like on the spot. MNake no mistake, its a good dvd and worth the money, but I just think the effects are definitely over rated sometimes.

Also, the main lesson form on the spot is how to use misdirection, unless you ahve been doing magic for quite a while, there are some things you probably don't know about how to use misdirection and such. This part of the DVD is considered rthe most valuable. I already had a mentor, so almost all of the misdirectional idea greg gave were olkd to me. Maybe that's why I didn't like it?

Anytime anywhere, on the other hand, is great, but be warned, these are not complicated effects. What I mean by that is that the effeeects are not entire routines like wilson's 99 cent trick were. The effects on AA are exactly the type you'll need for impromptu work, two second quickies just long enough for people to get what you did. I really like the coin in pen, and that trick wiht thwe ring and the bill is AMAZINGLy effective.

Overall, I prefered AA, but that's just me, it really depends on your performing style.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Wilson vs. Sankey (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL