The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Mirror practicing. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davetolomy
View Profile
New user
Portsmouth
28 Posts

Profile of davetolomy
Mirror practicing.

I always use a mirror when practicing my close up tricks. It's great as you see what the audience see. Or do you?

Sometimes you've got to realize your not seeing what the audience sees. A mirror cannot account for the angles in some of your tricks. Unless you've got a giant mirror don't assume it looks clean just because it looks clean in the mirror.

I figured this out recently and just though I'd point out the mirror thing is not foolproof.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Besides what you're saying, quite a few people here at the Café believe mirror practice can form a habit of 'eye blinks' when sleights are being done. Personally, I find this true any time we are watching our hands, mirror or not.

I think practice in a mirror can be helpful when it comes to working out angles for close up work.

A video of your performance can really shed a new light on your performance.

The only way to "foolproof" is to do your stuff for people and see if it's working or not.
davetolomy
View Profile
New user
Portsmouth
28 Posts

Profile of davetolomy
Quote:
Besides what you're saying, quite a few people here at the Café believe mirror practice can form a habit of 'eye blinks' when sleights are being done. Personally, I find this true any time we are watching our hands, mirror or not.

Never heard of this. Sounds interesting though.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The blinking has been discussed previously on the Café as has mirror practice.
If interested, an 'Advanced Search' should turn up results.

I think that a lot of people, when concentrating on, or focusing on something, tend to squint or blink.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
One good thing about using a mirror is that you're getting instant feedback. If you're taping your performance, you've got to wait until you watch it to see if you're doing something wrong.

I don't have a video camera, so I don't have the luxury of this form of practice, but even if I did, I would probably use a mirror in the initial stages, to work on the angles.
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
As Jaz has stated, the mirror is good for working angles and looking for 'windows,' but for performance, it is rather dismal. The mirror is useful as a performing tool if your plan is to perform for yourself. If your plan is to perform for others, the last thing you (or they) will be looking at while you're making a move, is the mirror. If you project and involve an audience, you can get their attention where it should be - on you. I don't know that an accurate study could be undertaken by an average magician, but if you took two card tricks that you saw, thought were great, and then practiced one in front of a mirror until you thought ir ready for performance, and then practice the other one, projecting it in a room for a minimal time and then taking it to the people. Which trick do you really see being a success? A mirror is a tool, but not really a performance tool. You cannot concentrate on misdirection while staring at your hands in a mirror. If you're not staring at them, how do you know what is going on? Take it to the people, the audience, and they will tell the truth. (Make sure they haven't paid, use family)

Mark
HusssKarson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ca, US
265 Posts

Profile of HusssKarson
User cam corder!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Mirror practicing. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL