The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickey Silver's awesome demo DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
evanmartin
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of evanmartin
WOW. my copy just came in the mail today - I raced home for lunch to play it
while stuffing my face - only to just about choke from gasping, laughing, and practically ending up in tears (all within the first 2 minutes). I couldn't eat. I truly felt like a kid again and all I could manage was a wide-grinned goggle at the screen.

I think I saw him do the flyaway coin within the first few minutes (i only watched it once so far) - and I was wondering if others have noticed him doing any or all of the 4 sleights that he's been provoking so much conversation over.

Also - and for me, this is an unfortunate aside that I really wish I didn't have to include - but I was wondering if anyone has encountered any problems when trying to view his dvd. My player is a 5 disk changer Panasonic (can't remember the model #) - but it froze up exactly 4 minutes and 11 seconds into the DVD. I tried powering off the machine and restarting - then skipping ahead to the next chapter from the menu screen, but that didn't work either. (I can see all 3 pages of the menu, but only the first 4.11 plays)

Mickey has been so generous and kind to send me his DVD and even with only watching the 4 min. 11 sec. I'm already a changed man. Smile -- but I would dearly love to see the rest. I'm going to try to play it on my neighbor's DVD player tonight. (If it's my player, I'll go buy another one) .

If you're listening/reading Mickey - you rock!!! That was the most Truly Magical - most unbelievable 4 min. 11 sec. of my adult life!

Thank you!!!
Evan
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
What effects are on the dvd? and when will it be released?
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Quote:
On 2005-10-03 13:47, evanmartin wrote: most unbelievable 4 min. 11 sec. of my adult life!

Surely not. That would be very sad.
Jolyon Jenkins
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Actually I think it's bragging--isn't that 2 minutes more than the norm? Smile
evanmartin
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of evanmartin
Mattisdx,
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was talking about Mickey's demo dvd (performance only) that he's been offering to anyone interested. I guess you could consider that since Mickey has been so generous in giving it away, it has already been released - though not comercially. In it, he demos his version of the illusive retention vanish, among other things.

I just tried my disk on my neighbors player and it froze at the same place Smile so I can't really say what else is on the demo. It does look like he's doing his human slot machine (though I can only see that from one of the animated chapter menu icons). He begins doing a retention vanish to mouth with silver dollars just before my disk freezes. I think he "eats" about 6 coins, then goes back for a few more - and it looks like he's about to re-produce them just as the disk stops.

I wasn't kidding about the 4.11 being awesome. Naturally I've had some great times in my life - but as far as purely magical experiences... watching Mickey reminded me of the sort of stary eyed awe I had for the world as a child. After reading so many posts from people who've seen Mickey perform live, my expectations were very high. After the first 2 minutes I knew that I was watching something huge. To say the least, my expectations had no idea how good it was going to be.

I was really hoping to hear from others who have seen this demo dvd - both in regards to general impressions and to how what he's doing might or might not relate to “The Silver Subtlety”. I happen to think there's probably a load of "clues" in his performance and would really be interestd to know what others have found.

Evan
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I try not to look for clues in his work. He'll explain what he wants, when he wants to.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Some of the players choke on computer burned DVD's. Mickey and I have exactly the same model of computer and some people have had trouble with mine. If you have a computer that will burn DVD's, you might try copying the files to your hard drive and then bruning them back to a new DVD. I think Mickey is using DVD+R's. You might try a DVD-R if you have the right burner. No guarantees but it's worth a shot.

Jim Canaday. the Magic Portal http://www.gis.net/~canaday
rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
I just got the demo today. Blown away. That's all that needs to be said. I want to be half as smooth as him and then I'll still fool them all.

Travis
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
evanmartin
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of evanmartin
Jim,
I tried my demo disk on my Playstation2 and it froze at the same place.
I then tried it at work on our Mac G5 with a DVD-ROM drive (using the default DVDPlayer) and it wouldn't work. We even tried it on a windows2000 box and it wouldn't play at all. It actually crashed his computer for some reason - though I think it was the player that did that.

My boss said he would try it on his home computer last night - so I'll know if he had any luck when he gets here soon.

What computer are you guys using?
Evan
rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
I just used my home dvd player. I think it is a middle of the road dvd player. You are missing out if you can't watch it. The whole slot machine thing is crazy
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Evan,
We're both using an HP Media Center computer. I had to have my DVD burner replaced and the replacement will burn both formats but I'm pretty sure Mick's will only do the +R's.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Hi Jim, Mickey. when you get a chance, I'd like to see the latest too. Smile Jon
evanmartin
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of evanmartin
I don't have a dvd drive on my mac at home. Mickey said he'd send me another disk - which is so freaking nice! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one will work on my panasonic player so that I can watch it over and over on my tv at home. Smile

So Jim, Jon's last post seems to suggest you have a demo too -- is that right?
Are you and Mickey secretly planning a dvd ?

Evan
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
How do you get this promo DVD? Details would be great...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
No, the Mick is just a friend who I've helped with some of his computer tech stuff. I am a lowly amateur card guy that just has fun with my friends so don't look for a DVD from me anytime soon. I am looking forward to the finished project from Mickey as much as you guys all are.
solidimageartsllc
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
176 Posts

Profile of solidimageartsllc
Micky-

Speechless! I received the DVD yesterday after a brutal 16 hour workday - an incredible ending to say the least! Your brilliance is matched only by your kind generosity. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

The elusive retention pass was jaw dropping and fooled me EVERYTIME. For the layman, it had to be devasting. Smile The "put" instead of "take" was pure genius as is your philosophy surrounding the routine. That insight alone has helped me tremenduosly to rethink my handling of my own coin work. As for the mechanics of the effect - I'm convinced you're Spider Man!

I was thrilled to see the human slot machine included on the disc. Once again, jaw dropping, entertaining and original. So, you are not only spiderman, but hollow man too!

I wish you a continued, long and healthy career and I really look foward to the day when I get to see you perform live (as well as meet you) on the West Coast.

All the best,

Dan
Take infinite pain to make something look effortless - Michelangelo
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
How does one get a hold of this demo dvd? Please help...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Mickey Silver is a member of the Café. Send him a PM and say hello.
still_ill
View Profile
Loyal user
florida
201 Posts

Profile of still_ill
I was wondering about how long it took you guys to recieve your copy of the dvd after talking to mickey...im not being impatient, just curious...im very excited to check it out

-brandon
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Mickey is a PERSON, not a mailing service. I have a couple of tapes he sent from a while ago where he took the time to record a few minutes of personal greetings. He does things like that. Say hi to him as a person, okay?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickey Silver's awesome demo DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL