The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Thoughts on coin in the bottle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Some collected ideas for you I have found.

- Whilst it is perfectly acceptable to perform with your own coin and bottle, it becomes a miricle when you say "Hey, can I borrow that bottle? Has any got a coin?"

- If you have the spectator hold the bottle whilst you push the coin through the bottom and want them to be perfectly still say "hold the bottle straight or it might break...and I don't have insurance." They won't move an INCH!

- Check out Sean Taylor's handling where the 'ditch' is done BEFORE the coin is apparently removed. It prevents breakages being visible to the audience.

- If you begin by presenting it is a silly 'bar bet' that will probably have a joke blow off the audience relaxes and doesn't watch you. When the coin is in the bottle their head will explode!

- Whilst you can do coin in bottle with almost ANY bottle, my two favourites are a blue glass mount franklin spring water bottle or a green heinikin bottle.
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1036 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Always prefered the Heinikin myself. Always good to get the borrowed wet by having it under the bottle at the end when you shake it out so it gives them the still wet and smells like beer effect.

I agree with all your notes. Great stuff. Love this trick. Make sure you don't let them hold it after the coin is inside. They will try and shake it out, or reach inside to touch it.

Having the borrowed coin under the label is great.

make sure to point out that they can inspect the bottle.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have a nice handling for the removal of the coin if any would like it. PM me for more details
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Some performers I know prefer to use a beer bottle that's half full. It just seems more spontaneous when the coin plunks into the remaining beer. You can then demonstrate that the coin can't pass through the neck without saying as much, when you pour out the beer. Also, it gives you a good reason to handle the coin when it does come out, it's wet with beer.

Still too much of a mess, and a waste of good beer, for tablehopping work, but for impressing your buds, this might be the way to go.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Where could I find Sean Taylor's handling I have always had a problem with the shake and ditch.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I have found bottles to be far less organic than expected. Things like salk shakers are right on the border of useful.

Anyone doing the thing with a perfume bottle? Wife sends you out to buy more, and you get side tracked with a coin trick.

* bing *

What would it mean if you STARTED with the coin inside the bottle and presented it as a mystery, speaking of ships in bottles and a mysterious guy who would send out such things as gifts?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Johnathan - I like it! One thought that springs to mind is that my favourite type of magic is that in which the pre-conditions of the effect are immediately clear in the audience's mind. E.g. they KNOW the coin is normal and the bottle is untampered with. Since you begin with the coin in the bottle you suggest that something is not quite right from the start. I'm going to give it a try....
Tom Wolf
View Profile
Special user
Harrison, Ohio
577 Posts

Profile of Tom Wolf
Quote:
On 2005-10-05 05:32, Curtis Kam wrote:
Some performers I know prefer to use a beer bottle that's half full. It just seems more spontaneous when the coin plunks into the remaining beer. You can then demonstrate that the coin can't pass through the neck without saying as much, when you pour out the beer. Also, it gives you a good reason to handle the coin when it does come out, it's wet with beer.

Still too much of a mess, and a waste of good beer, for tablehopping work, but for impressing your buds, this might be the way to go.

Hi Curtis,
You just brought back a memory of something that really happened with a beer bottle that still has beer in it for the coin in bottle magic.
A Cincinnati beer salesman, amatuer magician, did the routine while a little drunk.
He borrowed a half full beer bottle from a customer seated at a table, did his routine counting "1,2,3" and at "3" hit the bottle with his half dollar breaking the bottle sending beer and glass all over the table! I am still laughing...

Tom Wolf
The magic director and performer at the Rincon Gaucho supper club in Mexico City,

We opened the first and only close-up room for magic in Mexico with Wolf Ruvinskis.
have several new coin vanishes and routines to share shortly just as soon as I can find someone to film them for me.

Now living in Harrison, Ohio
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-10-05 08:07, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:...with the coin in the bottle you suggest that something is not quite right from the start. I'm going to give it a try....

Thanks Nicholas. To me, the idea hit just as I was typing that post and I put in the * bing * to mark the moment. David Roth has a take on the effect where to get the coin out he does something magical with the bottle. Done twice, this might be a workable routine as it takes one mystery and replaces it with a bigger mystery, and then returns the situation to the first mystery.

Please do let us know how the thing works for you. It may make sense to switch the thing out and have a deck of cards in there at the end.

Any "credit to jt" is simply that I suggested exploring the trick done inside out as a display of a mystery as opposed to offering the thing as the travails of a coin.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
NO FOLDING.......... THas right you heard it no folding coin
The will be an effect soon to be marketed a singed coin half or silver dollar
is thrown into empty beer bottle . rhe coin penetrates the beer bottle //
the only way to retreve the coin is to break the bottle ..
and yes you heard me no folding coin........
stay tuned .....
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
From an "organic" standpoint, I prefer bottle cap in bottle over coin in bottle (I've performed both extensively), and developed a method where it appears that the bottle cap is signed. The bottle is intact and given to the spectator as a souvenir which serves as a strong advertisement given the nature of the unusual object and the nature of the "signature." Does this mean that bottle cap in bottle is better than coin in bottle? No, it just means that at this point, it's better for me.
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Quote:
On 2005-10-05 10:17, vinsmagic wrote:
NO FOLDING.......... THas right you heard it no folding coin
The will be an effect soon to be marketed a singed coin half or silver dollar
is thrown into empty beer bottle . rhe coin penetrates the beer bottle //
the only way to retreve the coin is to break the bottle ..
and yes you heard me no folding coin........
stay tuned .....
vinny

wow... that's very attractive... looking forward to that.

Recently I've been thinking of just using a striking vanish. If I put the focus at the bottom of the bottle, this would probably do. But what's troubling me is how can I put the extra coin in beforehand, and hide it from view (especially when I'm tapping the coin outside).

Any suggestion is welcomed~
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-10-05 12:03, info2victor wrote:...Recently I've been thinking of just using a striking vanish. ...

David Williamson and others have been there and done that. The alert student was expected to have gotten that idea when the dime and perrier bottle trick was shown around back in the 1980s. To do the thing as published, you hold the bottle by the neck kind of like a club. When you grip the bottle it's pretty direct to add in the gimick.
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Thanks Jonathan.

I guess this idea should have been there for a long time. Anyway this idea just flashed acrossed my mind when I was watching a trick using a nickel and the cellophane of a card box.

What I wanted to achieve is to have a non-gimmicked coin in bottle effect. I understand this will not create the impossiblilty of seeing a coin with a size larger than the diameter of the bottle. Instead the magical part now lies on its penentration through the bottom of the bottle.

You know the striking part involves some up-and-down motion, so if the extra coin just stays in the bottle it will make noise. That's what I want to avoid.
It only takes a minute to learn how it is done, but takes a lifetime to learn how to do it.

You've got a coin?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Um... the coin can go in almost during the move. Please check the sources for the trick. These are open threads and we are not supposed to get into details on sleights or gaffs here. The trick is in print in a few sources. Crossing the hanlding done with the dime with the standard/classic coin in bottle handling is not so strange once you learn the striking vanish.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
RE: Striking a coin into a bottle, see Michael Weber's "Lifesavers" and/or "the Collected Richard's Almanac".

Reputedly, one can even do this with the cap on the bottle.

The adaptation of this approach to a coin larger than a dime is discussed by Michael Ammar in his work on this plot in The Big Green Book and his description of John Carney's "Le Perrier".
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8858 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey Vinny, How can you do this without a folding coin??? I know Mickey comes up with some great stuff but throwing the coin right through the bottle, a real coin??? Tell me more about this effect. Seems quite different from the regular ways this is done. NO FOLDING COIN???? How???
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Here's a new must have item for coin-in-bottle workers...

Leather Bottle Holster

I'm not really serious but I saw the image and thought some would appreciate it.
Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
info2victor
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of info2victor
Thanks Jonathan.

And Curtis, ha, luckily that I have Michael Weber's "Lifesavers"~ Perhaps I've read it but forgot about it's from this book... will read it again when I get back home.

Well... the Leather Bottle Holster... looks like wild west gun holster to me~~

You've got a coin?
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Frank Starsini, fastest drunk in the West...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Thoughts on coin in the bottle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL